Mercedes CLA Forum banner

Is this acceptable?

8K views 50 replies 10 participants last post by  jmc 
#1 ·
Two weeks and a bit since I took delivery of my 2021 AMG CLA 45S. Still in the mandated run-in period (clocked up 1100kms this morning, getting close to the magic 1500!). Issue is that I have discovered two very distinct 'rattles/vibrations' in the cabin, one from the notorious drivers side B pillar seat belt tensioner, and the other a real rattle from the passenger door card or passenger side dash/vent (not sure exactly where, I am having trouble pinpointing it). I took it in to the Stealership and the mechanic came for a drive with me, but in the short run we had, I could not replicate it. He was nice enough, but you could tell that he was pretty sure it was just another grumpy old Merc driver having a whine about something most people wouldn't notice. I just think at this inflated price point, there should not be ANY rattles/vibrations from the cabin of a modern vehicle, am I expecting too much? I am happy to keep taking it back to them until they have fixed it. I'll keep you posted once they have attempted to rectify the issues.

Funny story... my dear wife, on her first drive with me just after I took delivery was asked what she thought... 'I liked the old one better, it didn't rattle like this one... how much did you pay for this again?' I let that slide. Next corner I turned she loudly exclaimed 'that indicator noise is very loud and annoying, and sounds cheap'. That was the straw that broke this camel's back 'How on earth would you know what an indicator sounds like, you drive a bl**dy BMW!!' Deathly silence until we returned home :cool:.

See less See more
Discussion starter · #18 ·
It’s fair enough… and mine’s not so bad that I’d be taking it back for remedial work.

It’s settled down somewhat and as you say not really worth getting worked up over.

I’m a bit of a picky perfectionist which is more my problem than theirs [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree with Mav, however I am a lot like you SILVAFOXX, I am too much of a nit picking perfectionist, just ask my poor wife. I also understand that there is a certain bedding in period and a few of them will just naurally disappear over time, however the ones in the door panels are really obvious (the tin cans in the trunk analogy is a good one @mav238) and every passenger has made comment about those rattles, so I do have to get those attended to.

Discussion starter · #21 ·
A quick update, after two days at the dealership and several drive around sessions with the tech trying to pinpoint the issue, they appear to have solved the problem. I didn't get a copy of the job report (as they have left it open pending my feedback) however the SA advised that there was 'excessive gaps between elements that are within the door panels' which they believe to be the issue. They used the silicone and MB sound proofing tape to fill those gaps (in two of the four panels) and on driving home, it does indeed appear to have been fixed. When I got the car I was despondent that there was no longer a 'Mighty MB Gap' in the new model, however, now I am very happy, as they have shifted the Mighty Gap to inside the doors, it is still there, just no longer visible... :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: SILVAF0XX
Discussion starter · #26 ·
hey ... i can always create that pretty white gap for ya ... might look kinda funny but at least Rob can bless it :p
Too scared to ask how you will create a new Mighty Gap for me JMC, would it involve the use of a chainsaw perhaps? Having Rob bless it for me would make it all worthwhile though, I do miss the early days of telling anyone who would listen that it is design feature, not a design flaw!

Discussion starter · #49 ·
I also partly agree with Mav. However, to put this in perspective, I am older, I have had a lot of vehicles over the many years I have been driving, and none of them 'rattle' like this one does. I am not talking about the minor vibrations or other noises you hear from every vehicle, I am talking about the rattling 'outhouse door in the storm' noises that are emanating from the door cards and the B pillar, noise that even the MB service agent acknowledged as a model issue, but have yet to rectify (I am about to book in for my third attempt at rectification). I took Rabbi Rob's sage advice he provided a couple of years ago on this forum - "just turn up the volume on the radio", which of course works to a point. The problems start when the wife or my kids are in the car and the first thing they say is how noisy the rattles are, it is hard to justify, "... but it has a hand built engine!" just doesn't carry any weight. I do love this car, the depth of this engine grows on me every day I am on the road, and I am also very accepting of its quirks, I guess it is more a case of simple frustration with the overlooked quality issues that should be easily rectified. I don't want to start another forum war, I think it is important to understand we all have different views, opinions, and expectations of these things. At the end of the day, if I can get my banging outhouse door fixed, this AMG, to my mind, would be the best vehicle I have ever owned.

Reactions: SILVAF0XX and Geo K
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.