Mercedes CLA Forum banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts
I have a couple of frustrating rattles on my dash and it is one of those annoying things where it bothers me but wonder if I’m just picky!
Part and parcel of owning a car... no matter how tight the car is made, eventually those cabin rattles from the dash and trimmings, will start to show.

Part and parcel of owning a car... no matter how tight the car is made, eventually those cabin rattles from the dash and trimmings, will start to show.
I agree with this statement in part but my last two cars owned from new had zero rattles throughout their entire time of ownership so this is not some Utopia we’re aspiring for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you look at how the cars are assembled it makes it more obvious why these cars rattle (and cars in general). The CLA interior is just a bunch of plastic parts snapped together. Lots of parts are NOT screwed together. It's just plastic clips that slide into holes into the piece it connects to. So basically you need to chase all these rattles with felt tape to stop things from moving.

The cla is the budget merc

They use cheap scratchy plastics akin to some french car.

I had numerous rattles. Worked my way through most of them

Biggest rattle was the cd player. Had to remove that and put ptfe tape behind it.

Almost rattle free now.... almost

I agree with this statement in part but my last two cars owned from new had zero rattles throughout their entire time of ownership so this is not some Utopia we’re aspiring for.

You are probably one of the very few and niche lucky ones that own cars with "zero" rattles.

It also depends on how long you own the car, honestly, no matter how tight a car is made, eventually , even a creak or two will creep in. For me, that's not a big deal. There are more important things in life to be concerned with, that a few rattles that eventually comes in. JMHO.

I must be!

2014 Audi A3 TDI owned from new 56000 miles and no rattles
2017 Audi S3 owned from new 54000 miles and no rattles.

That Audi is no more or less budget than the CLA… and in fact my Ford Ficus before that had no perceptible rattles either and that was a budget company car.

I must clarify that I am referring to perceptible rattles that are audible under normal driving conditions.

As with anything there are always bigger things in life to worry about than these “problems” but I can understand the frustration felt.

I must be!

2014 Audi A3 TDI owned from new 56000 miles and no rattles
2017 Audi S3 owned from new 54000 miles and no rattles.

That Audi is no more or less budget than the CLA… and in fact my Ford Ficus before that had no perceptible rattles either and that was a budget company car.

I must clarify that I am referring to perceptible rattles that are audible under normal driving conditions.

As with anything there are always bigger things in life to worry about than these “problems” but I can understand the frustration felt.

Good for you that you have the luck of the draw with all your cars... most common people generally don't...

There is the difference between a rattling jalopy and one that exudes the occasional or not so readily audible rattle.

Honestly, even if the rattle is perceptible, unless it becomes such a nuisance , I won't let it "rattle" my soul (pun intended). It's definitely the right of anyone who wants to achieve utopia level of a rattle free car, jeez... I want the utopia of my house without any leaks or the water heater breaking down after > 10 years... Nothing wrong with wanting that... question is, is it really realistic to expect that...

I have owned > 10 different cars over the years, and I kid you not... not one of the cars is without a rattle , after > 5 years of ownership. And the spread is over german cars, swedish cars, and american made. They were not rattling jalopies, but definitely an occasional squeak or rattle creeps up during the driving ... I was like some of you , much younger then, it frustrates the heck out of me... "I paid good money for it, why are there rattles!!!" ... but as you age, you learn to take things for what they are in this world... imperfect...
The minor rattles or squeaks should not be "rattling" our souls, too much things in life to be appreciative of and chill on... JMHO

Reactions: Crester
keep a hypo with high temp silicone oil … a tiny drop at the rub (noise) location

just dont show that needle if a cop shows up …
[emoji39]

Discussion starter · #49 ·
I also partly agree with Mav. However, to put this in perspective, I am older, I have had a lot of vehicles over the many years I have been driving, and none of them 'rattle' like this one does. I am not talking about the minor vibrations or other noises you hear from every vehicle, I am talking about the rattling 'outhouse door in the storm' noises that are emanating from the door cards and the B pillar, noise that even the MB service agent acknowledged as a model issue, but have yet to rectify (I am about to book in for my third attempt at rectification). I took Rabbi Rob's sage advice he provided a couple of years ago on this forum - "just turn up the volume on the radio", which of course works to a point. The problems start when the wife or my kids are in the car and the first thing they say is how noisy the rattles are, it is hard to justify, "... but it has a hand built engine!" just doesn't carry any weight. I do love this car, the depth of this engine grows on me every day I am on the road, and I am also very accepting of its quirks, I guess it is more a case of simple frustration with the overlooked quality issues that should be easily rectified. I don't want to start another forum war, I think it is important to understand we all have different views, opinions, and expectations of these things. At the end of the day, if I can get my banging outhouse door fixed, this AMG, to my mind, would be the best vehicle I have ever owned.

Reactions: SILVAF0XX and Geo K
I also partly agree with Mav. However, to put this in perspective, I am older, I have had a lot of vehicles over the many years I have been driving, and none of them 'rattle' like this one does. I am not talking about the minor vibrations or other noises you hear from every vehicle, I am talking about the rattling 'outhouse door in the storm' noises that are emanating from the door cards and the B pillar, noise that even the MB service agent acknowledged as a model issue, but have yet to rectify (I am about to book in for my third attempt at rectification). I took Rabbi Rob's sage advice he provided a couple of years ago on this forum - "just turn up the volume on the radio", which of course works to a point. The problems start when the wife or my kids are in the car and the first thing they say is how noisy the rattles are, it is hard to justify, "... but it has a hand built engine!" just doesn't carry any weight. I do love this car, the depth of this engine grows on me every day I am on the road, and I am also very accepting of its quirks, I guess it is more a case of simple frustration with the overlooked quality issues that should be easily rectified. I don't want to start another forum war, I think it is important to understand we all have different views, opinions, and expectations of these things. At the end of the day, if I can get my banging outhouse door fixed, this AMG, to my mind, would be the best vehicle I have ever owned.
Hey i feel you pain

I came from an audi a3 to my CLA

I have owned many cars. Over 30 and i can categorically say the CLA has been the rattliest one I have ever owned.

My Audi had double the mileage and was twice the age of the CLA and did not have a single rattle

I was the same it was embarrassing letting people into the car.

They were like why is it so rattly?

I then went and borrowed my missus base mini cooper and it was driving bliss. Not a squeak rattle nothing... how it should be and its 50% value of the CLA

well i can say that one new 2020 250 on the lot i tested was indeed a little more tinny than my 14 … no offense … though a brand new car with like 30mi on the clock should not be noisy like that

aside from all the panel and trim surface glare on sunny days the doors and seat belt pillars do sing a lot and that was just a 20min romp on city roads and a highway run

getting back into my 14 right afterwards was an interesting yet eerie feeling of quiet … could be the extension of the mfa2 chassis in both length and width so all the torsion and stress moments are different enough to cause just a mm more flex and the panels rub and scuff

though the silicone oil film will quiet those noise points down

41 - 51 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.