Mercedes CLA Forum banner

Is this acceptable?

8K views 50 replies 10 participants last post by  jmc 
#1 ·
Two weeks and a bit since I took delivery of my 2021 AMG CLA 45S. Still in the mandated run-in period (clocked up 1100kms this morning, getting close to the magic 1500!). Issue is that I have discovered two very distinct 'rattles/vibrations' in the cabin, one from the notorious drivers side B pillar seat belt tensioner, and the other a real rattle from the passenger door card or passenger side dash/vent (not sure exactly where, I am having trouble pinpointing it). I took it in to the Stealership and the mechanic came for a drive with me, but in the short run we had, I could not replicate it. He was nice enough, but you could tell that he was pretty sure it was just another grumpy old Merc driver having a whine about something most people wouldn't notice. I just think at this inflated price point, there should not be ANY rattles/vibrations from the cabin of a modern vehicle, am I expecting too much? I am happy to keep taking it back to them until they have fixed it. I'll keep you posted once they have attempted to rectify the issues.

Funny story... my dear wife, on her first drive with me just after I took delivery was asked what she thought... 'I liked the old one better, it didn't rattle like this one... how much did you pay for this again?' I let that slide. Next corner I turned she loudly exclaimed 'that indicator noise is very loud and annoying, and sounds cheap'. That was the straw that broke this camel's back 'How on earth would you know what an indicator sounds like, you drive a bl**dy BMW!!' Deathly silence until we returned home :cool:.

See less See more
#2 ·
When a passenger exists there is enough flex to bring out or diminish a rub point ... thats one of my excuses for someone to maintain a certain mass (you think you’re gutsy? [emoji12])

I will agree with your BoringMondayWagon driver the gen2 cars are just a bit more tinny ... mostly due to managing cost points and the resulting suppliers in the mfa2 chassis program (but thats another story) though they did dump the funds into one hell of a 4 banger ay?! Serious motor.

My breakin was 2000mi (3200km) before the tach was allowed to romp past 2500 ... trained the granny E mode very well ... heh heh heh.

Think I may find a way to frankenstein the 2021 45 motor & driveline into my gen1 ... someday [emoji4]

#3 ·
No issues with interior Finnish , but I read a few posts on Facebook groups of people with rattles from b Pilar and squeaky door cards, back to dealer but don’t hold your breath for a quick fix, I would say bang the palm of your hand every six inches or so around the door card to make sure all fixings are seated properly,

#4 ·
I have a couple of frustrating rattles on my dash and it is one of those annoying things where it bothers me but wonder if I’m just picky!

My S3 was driven hard for 54,000 miles and didn’t have a single squeak or rattle.

I’m purposely driving on the hardest suspension now to eek out as many rattles as possible.

50 miles from the magic run in period finishing now too!

Mine is going back for failing ambient lighting though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 ·
I think you have to remember that the CLA45 AMG is still based on Mercedes' cheapest platform. The high price you're paying for the AMG version is for the fancier engine and performance upgrades... not for the interior. So you have to keep your expectations in check.

But yeah rattles are annoying in general... I hope mine isn't too bad.

#9 ·
I totally get that, but it competes directly against the A3, 1 Series etc…. You’d expect a similar level of build quality.

Im not saying the Merc is bad, just seems a tad lacking in this area. The tech and engine of the AMG are good as you say.

The RS3 is a direct competitor though and has a great motor plus presumed similar levels of build to my old S3

#28 ·
Interested in how yours was fixed bearing in mind their first attempt at a “fix” failed fir me!

They changed the ambient lighting controller which didn’t sort it, but when I mentioned ECU reflash to the head tech he said it wasn’t possible.

Be really interested to know exactly what was done to yours as this could be the difference to me keeping the car or not!

Silva

#12 ·
Not sure if this is your first "upscale" car you ever owned, but rattles are a fact of mass produced cars. some with less than others.

#14 ·
I saw this picture on another forum and I think it explains why we might find rattles in our interior. Look at how everything is put together... just clips! With these things if something isn't holding tight... well we'll get rattles. Guess we'll have to chase rattles down in the interior and make sure things are connected properly.

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Steering part Flash photography

#15 ·
It’s no surprise is it really.

I mean the introduction of soft materials in the dashboard construction and other areas has really helped in recent years. The last car I had with any remote sort rattles was my EP3 Civic Type R, but that was a 2004 car and we’ve come a long way!

It only takes a plastic clip to be slightly loose and then resonate at a certain engine frequency or something [emoji53]

As they cut costs and reintroduce more scratchy plastics (Audi are guilty here too in the new A3) then rattles become more likely again.

#16 ·
I used to be quite anal about rattles, any slight rattle and knocking, I would get all "rattled" and angry and frustrated. After owning various different cars (like over 10 of them, of various makes), I gotten used to the fact that nothing is ever perfect. No matter how tight a car is made, after a couple of years, a rattle of two will eventually creep in.
People have been complaining car makers are pricing cars too high for the general population to even get into the market for some of these upscale cars... so car makers listened and tried to make it work for most people, but something has to give, car makers still need a certain margin of profit to show responsibility to their investors, have cars that still meet certain quality stds, and also priced where the general population can somehow get access to them.

Honestly, a creak here and there, a rattle here and there , occasionally, is I think something that we shouldn't be fretting over with. Not happy with it, still under warranty, then bug the dealer with it until it gets fixed. Other than that, unless the car rattles like dangling a string of tin cans on your trunk, just enjoy the car , and let than occasional rattle be a reminder that your car is running fine. =)

#17 ·
It’s fair enough… and mine’s not so bad that I’d be taking it back for remedial work.

It’s settled down somewhat and as you say not really worth getting worked up over.

I’m a bit of a picky perfectionist which is more my problem than theirs [emoji23]

#18 ·
I agree with Mav, however I am a lot like you SILVAFOXX, I am too much of a nit picking perfectionist, just ask my poor wife. I also understand that there is a certain bedding in period and a few of them will just naurally disappear over time, however the ones in the door panels are really obvious (the tin cans in the trunk analogy is a good one @mav238) and every passenger has made comment about those rattles, so I do have to get those attended to.

#21 ·
A quick update, after two days at the dealership and several drive around sessions with the tech trying to pinpoint the issue, they appear to have solved the problem. I didn't get a copy of the job report (as they have left it open pending my feedback) however the SA advised that there was 'excessive gaps between elements that are within the door panels' which they believe to be the issue. They used the silicone and MB sound proofing tape to fill those gaps (in two of the four panels) and on driving home, it does indeed appear to have been fixed. When I got the car I was despondent that there was no longer a 'Mighty MB Gap' in the new model, however, now I am very happy, as they have shifted the Mighty Gap to inside the doors, it is still there, just no longer visible... :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: SILVAF0XX
#22 ·
Mines in on Tuesday for ambient lighting fault, squeaky steering wheel & rattle behind dashboard.

Fingers crossed all goes well… I’m still fighting with the supplying dealer regarding a retrofit of AR Sat Nav.

They claim as it was built on August it wasn’t “missing” the now discontinued feature. I’m arguing it was in the spec when ordered so should be there!?

See how we go but suspect I’m on a losing footing with it!

#37 ·
Nothing much more than one can do but to bring in to the dealer and get them to fix it, especially if it's still under new car warranty.

We all want our car to be issue ifree especially within the first year of ownership, but the fact of life is, even the Maybach or Rolls-royce , would turn up a rattle or two during warranty period. Just exercise your right as a customer to expect the dealership to fix what is covered under warranty.
As fellow owners of the CLA, we all have gone through our frustrations and rants about the "imperfections" of our CLAs, but better to use that effort and energy of ranting to enjoy the better things/moments in life. As long as the car is not a complete lemon (which is a different story altogether), bring it to the dealer to fix what can be fixed, and take the rest of the little "imperfections" as part of owning a car in an imperfect world. JMHO...

Reactions: DrOzCLA and Crester
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.