Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a CLA180 (2013 model) and back in early March I had it remapped to Stage 1 (some 178bhp and 310Nm I believe). Then Covid hit, so barely used the car in the following months.
Once out, around early June, started using it quite normally, and enjoying the extra power.
These last 2 months, I had 4 or 5 episodes, where I would be driving, and the turbo is shut off, with the car seemingly in limp mode (very slow acceleration, hardly any power). No CEL would come on. Turn off engine, back on, and turbo is back on.
I wasn't sure what to attribute to, especially since when the episodes happened, I wasn't pushing it hard.Today I had another episode. Looking back, one thing that stands out in common is possibly the temperature - I live in Malta, and temperatures are in the 30s.
Anyway, now this evening, without the turbo turning off, the CEL started blinking, so I reduced speed to walking pace, and then around 20seconds later, it was firmly on. Was pretty close to home, so kept driving slowly, however when pressing the accelerator, the car felt like it was slightly knocking, like operating on 3 cylinders, at times, almost even like I had a flat tyre.
Made it home, turned engine off, and back on, and CEL is now on all the time. The rattling/knocking/call it what you want, seemed to go away now. I just parked it in the garage, and I plan to have it checked tomorrow or Monday from my mechanic.

Thoughts? Can it be the heat? Is it related to the remap maybe?
Any insight appreciated.

Rgds,
David

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
.... I plan to have it checked tomorrow or Monday from my mechanic...Thoughts?....
Suggest that you ask him to check for codes and to give you the complete list with definitions.

·
Registered
12,172 Posts
might be the dreaded accelerator pedal connection thing again
though lets see what stored codes show up

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't know what the accelerator pedal issue is... I'll Google it.
Unfortunately I couldn't go to the mechanic today... Forgot it was a public holiday here today! 😭
Gonna have to be Monday at some point

·
Registered
12,172 Posts
one lousy pin/socket in the pedal connector causes lots of havoc

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I read about some method to reset the throttle sensor?
Anyone know the correct procedure for the CLA?

Also, all the turbo shut-offs and this last incident, happened after a routine service.
I had noticed some oil spills, didn't think much of it, thought that some had spilled over while refilling. So I wiped it off.
But today, I found more - checked dip-stick, and it seems it's absolutely to the max, if not a bit more.
Could it be that it was filled with too much oil? If yes, is there any possible issues that could arise?

Pics below.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Suggest that you ask him to check for codes and to give you the complete list with definitions.
a) Were you able to get a list of codes yet?
b) Key in "Oil Dipstick Level' to the search bar above and find eclipse1825's thread and the comments by @jmc and others.
c) IMO you need a filter & oil change, now.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
EDIT: Delete "c)" above after magnification.

·
Registered
12,172 Posts
Oh good grief!!
Too much oil was put in and most probably poured in way too fast and probably with the stick plugged in.
You better drop the oil level to the middle of the tick marks ... lest you start getting more expensive problems.
Delay this oil removal at your own risk.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@Geo K and @jmc thanks for info, checked that forum thread you suggested, not nice at all!

got to the mechanic finally today, got these codes below

thoughts? anything related to too much oil? or to the stage 1 remap?

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Suspect the remapping, or oil overfill contributed to the turbo issue?
We'll see what @jmc or other members think.
Were you able to reduce the oil level? Then inspect the turbo?

·
Registered
12,172 Posts
Need to check plugs for oil fouling
And change them while youre at it regardless

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In Malta these couple weeks it's usually shut down, so mechanic did me a 'favour' and read the codes - he isn't back to work until next week. But we agreed that I take it in next week, he'll check the plugs/ignition coils first. I'll suggest he reduces oil as well. And he said he'll have a look at the turbo actuator, and to the turbo system in general too.
Hopefully, that should do it.

Good thing I'm working from home, so am not in need of the car. It's just sitting in the garage. Can use the missus' car if I have to go somewhere.

Thanks for the suggestions for now guys, I'll keep you informed.

·
Registered
12,172 Posts
still say you vacuum out the excessive oil .... unless the car is already at the shop so doesn't need to be driver

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
so here's an update, finally got the car back. Mechanic said it had an issue with ignition coil 3, which he replaced. He said he lowered the oil amount too.
He did comment that the spark plugs seem to need changing - didn't attribute it to any excess oil, but just said they might need changing.
I'm not excluding they need changing, never replaced them.

Car seems to be working fine, however mechanic did mention he is sensing some turbo lag, but not being his car, wasn't sure if normal.
I do actually feel some lag especially on 2nd gear, where it seems it needs to hit 2400-2800rpm to actually start delivering solid power.
3rd and 4th gear seem to be ok though, delivering power earlier.

I can't recall if after the remap it had this turbo lag. But I think I would have sensed it.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Think you should double check your oil level.
Need to check plugs for oil fouling. And change them while youre at it regardless
@davagius -
a) Double check your new oil level.
b) Note that checking the plugs is a serious procedure because of possible contamination and suggest you should replace them at the same time.
c) Suggest you use your AUTEL again after all work completed to get a new list of codes.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks @Geo K , a) I'll do in the morning, b) I'll order new plugs and have them installed and c) will happen straight after that

thanks for your suggestions

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
...I'll order new plugs and have them installed ...
Suggest : In the search field above, key in "CLA 250 Spark Plug Replacement...", select @Picard's thread, (22 October 2018) and read at least illustrated comments #1, 2 and 3.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just today got the same 'limp mode' again, with turbo shutting off.
It happened while I was on 5th gear, doing around 77km/h (around 2k rpm) and pressed gas pedal hard and tried to accelerate. Did it on purpose to test - and lo and behold - it turned off turbo.
It seems to do it mostly when under particular load.

Thankfully was close to the mechanic, and stopped for a quick codes reading.
Got the P029921 again.

I have also noticed that turbo lag is very erratic - on 2nd gear, sometimes (when still cold especially) it starts accelerating properly even at 1.8k rpm, sometimes it takes up to 2.8k rpm, until you feel the torque.
3rd and 4th gears power delivery seems more consistent.

Anyway, what are your thoughts? I did read a bit, but would like your input too.

10x
D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts