Mercedes CLA Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Has all of the maintenance been performed?
Is there a "Trouble" # to call associated with your map company?
The first instruction in remapping is to save the OEM map to your phone.
Are you in a position to restore the OEM map to see if your problem is solved.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
The maintenance related to the codes, was carried out in parts. The ignition coil was the first culprit, to which (possibly) even the turbo issue had been attributed.
However, it doesn't seem to be the case, since it resurfaced. However, after that replacement, I haven't experienced any engine knocking, or irregular operation, an no other fault codes appear related to that.
As for restore of the OEM map, yes that is possible. However, I am currently excluding that as an issue (for now at least). Car has been remapped since February. Issues started after the last service around a couple months ago - might be unrelated - but that's the timestamp.

I researched a bit, and found diverse issues that were the culprits of the turbo code I'm receiving.
I would exclude any cracked pipes, else the issue would manifest itself every single time I drive the car, especially when pressed hard.
So I'm more inclined to think, that it could be one of the other mechanical parts related to turbo, that might be malfunctioning - maybe a stuck wastegate, etc...

Also, I had a hunch of attributing the issue occuring at high environmental temperature - summer is a bit of a killer here, with temperatures reaching 38C this summer, and a lot of humidity.
I'm kind of testing the car every time I drive it, especially now since the weather is much cooler. Hasn't repeated the turbo issue, since my last post here.

I'll keep you informed. Thanks for your help and interest!

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
did they flash any updates during the last service? before stuff went nuts?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I have a CLA180 (2013 model) and back in early March I had it remapped to Stage 1 (some 178bhp and 310Nm I believe). Then Covid hit, so barely used the car in the following months.
Once out, around early June, started using it quite normally, and enjoying the extra power.
These last 2 months, I had 4 or 5 episodes, where I would be driving, and the turbo is shut off, with the car seemingly in limp mode (very slow acceleration, hardly any power). No CEL would come on. Turn off engine, back on, and turbo is back on.
I wasn't sure what to attribute to, especially since when the episodes happened, I wasn't pushing it hard.Today I had another episode. Looking back, one thing that stands out in common is possibly the temperature - I live in Malta, and temperatures are in the 30s.
Anyway, now this evening, without the turbo turning off, the CEL started blinking, so I reduced speed to walking pace, and then around 20seconds later, it was firmly on. Was pretty close to home, so kept driving slowly, however when pressing the accelerator, the car felt like it was slightly knocking, like operating on 3 cylinders, at times, almost even like I had a flat tyre.
Made it home, turned engine off, and back on, and CEL is now on all the time. The rattling/knocking/call it what you want, seemed to go away now. I just parked it in the garage, and I plan to have it checked tomorrow or Monday from my mechanic.

Thoughts? Can it be the heat? Is it related to the remap maybe?
Any insight appreciated.

Rgds,
David
It can be lots of things but the main once are.
did you get a cheap remap?
There is to much NM and the car can’t handle it?
Do you use good quality fuel?
And if the temperature is getting to hot for your engine then you might need to think about putting an good induction kit to let the Engine breath.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Check the wategate see if it’s loose i had that code and that was the problem and the turbo was replaced

21 - 25 of 25 Posts