Mercedes CLA Forum banner

Just bought new, regular gas, undrivable

3K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Geo K 
#1 ·
My girlfriend just bought a 99 C Class and not knowing you have to use premium, put in unleaded. She had to head directly to a wedding so she hit the interstate and it started chugging and knocking. She drove it anyhow. I just got to the car and put some octane booster in the tank and managed to rev it enough to get it in gear and whip it around the lot a few times to get it to mix up a bit. It’s almost underivable. We are still 60 miles from home. I’m gonna have her leave it here for tonight. Any advice? I don’t know what to do when we come back for it tomorrow.

#2 ·
Welcome Psilly,
Suggest:
1) Think and act in positive mode. Let's focus on the location of your closest MB dealer.
2) ...Towing the C to them and getting it drained and re-fueled.
3) There may be other issues connected with this performance problem apart from the fuel grade...it would be great if you could check for codes.
4) Pick a nice motel, have a nice dinner and bed down for the night,
5) What is your location now?

#3 ·
Her purchase may have been as Certified from an MB Dealer and may carry benefits...please check her paperwork and let us know.

#4 ·
Definitely was not a certified MB dealership. We ended up all going home in my van for the night. We will be headed back soon with a friend to tow it home. Unfortunately we live in kind of MB desert out here in Central Nebraska. It has 201k miles on it and she signed an “as is” clause so I’m pretty sure the dealer will be no help tomorrow. We are gonna try to just get it home and go from there. I’ll post codes when we get it back.

#11 ·
....try to just get it home and go from there. I’ll post codes when we get it back.
Psillypsymun, Please update us - codes & what happened.

#5 ·
*Check your insurance it likely has a towing benefit.
*Keep her receipt for the gas. If it was contaminated you may have recourse.
*Husker Auto Group Mercedes, 6701 Telluride Dr., Lincoln, NE 68521 (866)956-2175
*Talk to Sara Hansen, Service Director
*Loaner cars available - make an appointment, get a loaner.
*Owner of this dealership is Warren Buffett, Berkshire Hathaway.
*Any AutoZone can check for codes as well, call first.
*We wish you the best. Come back here and let us know how it goes tomorrow.

Reactions: pa4ul and DrOzCLA
#6 ·
I am pretty sure if you happen to put regular gas into a car which requires premium gasoline, will not in principle cause the car to shut down. There must have been prior issues with the engine , probably water flooded engine and engine was rebuilt ??? and now putting regular unleaded gas totally undriveable.

Reactions: Geo K
#8 ·
First off, I think the OP would not drive down to a cheap unknown gas station and put crap gas into the car
secondly, this is a really old used car, > 10 years, who knows how it was treated during those years by the previous owners. Poor maintenance practices by those previous owners, never changed out the fuel filter, air filter, not regularly changing the engine oil and filter, used lower quality gasoline (non top-tier brands), consistently use regular gas rather than the premium gas recommended.

I really don't think the one time the OP put in the regular gas is the cause of it. If a clogging in the fuel system is the cause, then it was already there to start with.

Just my two cents...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.