Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from looking at a Jupiter Red CLA250. I didn't test drive it unfortunately. Anyways I'm disappointed in the size of the car. When I walked up to it all I kept saying to myself is wow it's small. I plan or planned on ordering the 45. Legroom for the driver is fine, legroom for driver's side passenger also fine. What is not fine is entering the back seat was a pronounced tuck of the head so as not to bang it. I'm 5'9 and seated behind the driver the left side of my head would make contact with the sloping roof line if seated properly and not leaning to the right to avoid said contact. Looking out the rear passenger window and in my sightline was the sloping black headliner. The middle seat will prove non existent if there are 2 adults and you're trying to fit a third. Now granted I'll never sit back there but I don't think I would want to either.
So then I sat in the driver's seat, no issues. I look across to the passenger side and I had forgot about this, but the door gap with the paint showing through hits me. Big turnoff for me, I know others have said that even higher priced cars sometimes have this, but my current ride doesn't and it's not an option I'm looking to have. Pano roof is a must as it makes the inside seem less small, and to me the interior was small.
Listen guys this is my opinion and I so don't want to be negative on this car. I, like the rest of you guys are constantly thinking about ordering, and options and then delivery of this beautiful looking car. But I have to be honest, and I knew coming from my current ride that this would be a little smaller, but damn that is the thing I couldn't get past. I told the salesman I would have to test drive the 45 and be blown away for me to order this car right now. I want this to be the car for me so bad, but I'm left with thinking of other options.
Now I know my list of other cars is not what one would say is a cross shop kind of car, but these are my interests knowing that I will be out of my current car in May.
1. S6 - Drove it at a track, awesome car,just too big for me.
2. New M3- they are/will be taking orders and supposedly looking at summer delivery timeframe.
3.C63- take 3yr lease and by the time lease is over the new AWD C63 will be out
4.CLA45- need to test-drive first.
5.ATS-V not Vsport- still unknown ETA

So I'm ready for the hate mail, I'm going this Thursday to their launch party and will look it over again and hopefully it will show itself differently to me.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Just got back from looking at a Jupiter Red CLA250. I didn't test drive it unfortunately. Anyways I'm disappointed in the size of the car. When I walked up to it all I kept saying to myself is wow it's small. I plan or planned on ordering the 45. Legroom for the driver is fine, legroom for driver's side passenger also fine. What is not fine is entering the back seat was a pronounced tuck of the head so as not to bang it. I'm 5'9 and seated behind the driver the left side of my head would make contact with the sloping roof line if seated properly and not leaning to the right to avoid said contact. Looking out the rear passenger window and in my sightline was the sloping black headliner. The middle seat will prove non existent if there are 2 adults and you're trying to fit a third. Now granted I'll never sit back there but I don't think I would want to either.
So then I sat in the driver's seat, no issues. I look across to the passenger side and I had forgot about this, but the door gap with the paint showing through hits me. Big turnoff for me, I know others have said that even higher priced cars sometimes have this, but my current ride doesn't and it's not an option I'm looking to have. Pano roof is a must as it makes the inside seem less small, and to me the interior was small.
Listen guys this is my opinion and I so don't want to be negative on this car. I, like the rest of you guys are constantly thinking about ordering, and options and then delivery of this beautiful looking car. But I have to be honest, and I knew coming from my current ride that this would be a little smaller, but damn that is the thing I couldn't get past. I told the salesman I would have to test drive the 45 and be blown away for me to order this car right now. I want this to be the car for me so bad, but I'm left with thinking of other options.
Now I know my list of other cars is not what one would say is a cross shop kind of car, but these are my interests knowing that I will be out of my current car in May.
2. New M3- they are/will be taking orders and supposedly looking at summer delivery timeframe.

So I'm ready for the hate mail, I'm going this Thursday to their launch party and will look it over again and hopefully it will show itself differently to me.
Well for the paint thing I think that you might not have to worry about that in the AMG. From what I remember and from the videos/pictures I took of my tour of the AMG in Affalterbach I didn't notice any gap like that. So hopefully that gap won't be there. Also I agree with mose of the stuff that you said to be honest lol. Only real difference between us is that it doesn't feel small to me since I'll be switching from a GTI which is kind of a small car. Also from the other cars your considering I must say you have good taste XD. Added on i hear the next M3 is supposed to have a brand new engine (Don't know if itll be the one coming out soon), but it'll be for sure something to look at if you don't have to deal with winter.

·
Registered
381 Posts
The back seat is for the kids. Luckily my kids won't grow enough in the next 3 years for it to matter. I am going to lease it and then see what's new in 3 years.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well for the paint thing I think that you might not have to worry about that in the AMG. From what I remember and from the videos/pictures I took of my tour of the AMG in Affalterbach I didn't notice any gap like that. So hopefully that gap won't be there. Also I agree with mose of the stuff that you said to be honest lol. Only real difference between us is that it doesn't feel small to me since I'll be switching from a GTI which is kind of a small car. Also from the other cars your considering I must say you have good taste XD. Added on i hear the next M3 is supposed to have a brand new engine (Don't know if itll be the one coming out soon), but it'll be for sure something to look at if you don't have to deal with winter.
Thanks Jak, I didn't write it off and I really don't want to,just have to test-drive it to be sold. Can't wait for your feedback when you take delivery. And the other reason I want the 45 is that we have an awesome forum here. Guys are all very helpful, no clowns being idiots when a member asks a question.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The back seat is for the kids. Luckily my kids won't grow enough in the next 3 years for it to matter. I am going to lease it and then see what's new in 3 years.
I agree, like I said I'll never sit back there, but nonetheless...

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Thanks Jak, I didn't write it off and I really don't want to,just have to test-drive it to be sold. Can't wait for your feedback when you take delivery. And the other reason I want the 45 is that we have an awesome forum here. Guys are all very helpful, no clowns being idiots when a member asks a question.
Ill also takes tons of pictures and videos also. Added on I'll inform everyone if that gap is there for the AMG. Also if I for some reason really dislike the AMG (Which I probably won't cause I love it so far lol) then I'm already decided on a fully loaded BMW 435 X drive. Also I saw the AMG version in person, and took videos, and photos of it, but didnt test drive it. So if you have any questions right now then I can try my best to answer them. (It was European spec, but can't be that much different right? Haha)

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ill also takes tons of pictures and videos also. Added on I'll inform everyone if that gap is there for the AMG. Also if I for some reason really dislike the AMG (Which I probably won't cause I love it so far lol) then I'm already decided on a fully loaded BMW 435 X drive. Also I saw the AMG version in person, and took videos, and photos of it, but didnt test drive it. So if you have any questions right now then I can try my best to answer them. (It was European spec, but can't be that much different right? Haha)
I'm going to be up in Canada end of November but I'll be in whitby, too far from you, otherwise I'd be at your hose. Lol. Thanks for all your help jak.

Sent from my iPhone using Mercedes CLA Forum mobile app

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
I'm going to be up in Canada end of November but I'll be in whitby, too far from you, otherwise I'd be at your hose. Lol. Thanks for all your help jak.

Ya thats extremely far haha. Just be warned the winter can get bad over there in Ontario. Almost as bad as here in Alberta. And anytime, just glad to help.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts

The CLA is clearly a flawed design. What give people the wows are offsetted by the loss of practicality. My wife ( who will be the main driver of the 45 ) and I are empty nesters so it wouldn't be an issue. I am looking at it as a coupe with an extra set of doors for occasional use. And I am short. So that all play in favor of the CLA45. I am not at all interested in the CLA250 just because I already have a C250 coupe. The CLA45, however, will be a near super car. And I think, it will blow me away.
S6, new M3 and C63 are all cars pushing $80k. That's a totally different world. In the $50k market, not many beats the 45. That's what I am banking on. Skipping all the options I associate with and expect for a 50k+ car in exchange for a smallish AWD rocket that doesn't have the Subaru or Mitsu name on it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just saw 3 CLA's in Denver, CO. After reading a lot of reviews here, here is my opinion. The CLA without the Panorama Sunroof looks very different and feels smaller. I don't think is good to get it without it. About the different kind of trims, the black ash Wood Trim is beautiful (it increase the value in 325$). On the other hand, the Anthracite Trim looks like cheap plastic. It contrasts so much with the other parts of the car. About the back window: IT IS SMALL. so think twice about getting the Rearview camera. I will need it. (The problem is that to be able to get it, you will have to get the Multimedia Package, that includes some things that I don't really need and it cost 2370). The screen with the multimedia package is bigger, and it really looks bigger. The other one has a thick border. About the exterior color, i just saw 2 black ones and one white. The white looks sporty, but you really appreciates the lines. The black looks more elegant, but it hides the lines.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The CLA is clearly a flawed design. What give people the wows are offsetted by the loss of practicality. My wife ( who will be the main driver of the 45 ) and I are empty nesters so it wouldn't be an issue. I am looking at it as a coupe with an extra set of doors for occasional use. And I am short. So that all play in favor of the CLA45. I am not at all interested in the CLA250 just because I already have a C250 coupe. The CLA45, however, will be a near super car. And I think, it will blow me away.
S6, new M3 and C63 are all cars pushing $80k. That's a totally different world. In the $50k market, not many beats the 45. That's what I am banking on. Skipping all the options I associate with and expect for a 50k+ car in exchange for a smallish AWD rocket that doesn't have the Subaru or Mitsu name on it.
Yeah Keith I have a 13 year old and a 17 year old who will occupy the backseat and while I'm really not concerned how the back feels for them, I sat there and it bothered me. Yes the S6, M3 and C63 are nearing $80g and that's why I said my cross shopping is out of whack and not apples to apples, but nonetheless that's where my interest lies. I want the smallish AWD rocket, I just didn't think it was that small to me. Hopefully when I go to the launch Thursday I can begin to move past that.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Yeah Keith I have a 13 year old and a 17 year old who will occupy the backseat and while I'm really not concerned how the back feels for them, I sat there and it bothered me. Yes the S6, M3 and C63 are nearing $80g and that's why I said my cross shopping is out of whack and not apples to apples, but nonetheless that's where my interest lies. I want the smallish AWD rocket, I just didn't think it was that small to me. Hopefully when I go to the launch Thursday I can begin to move past that.

Since no car is perfect, you will just have to balance out the pros against the cons and see the net. Somethings are deal breakers so it depends on your priorities. I just think a minimally equipped 45 makes a compelling choice.

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
This is exactly my fear and why, to be completely frank, I'm almost nervous about seeing the car...if that makes any sense.

My kids are 6 and 8 and while I'm not concerned about their headroom for the foreseeable future I don't like thinking about this car as a "coupe with four doors." It's rare that I need to carry adults in my backseat but this is supposed to my "practical" car and its sounding like I might be stretching the definition a bit in that realm. I can deal with small but it still needs to be usable. I'm 6'1" and I feel like I keep reading posts by lots of people well under 6' tall complaining about difficulty accessing the backseat. Not good. I'm hoping the Pano roof really does make the difference once you're in the car. Assuming one of the cars on the lot has a Pano roof I will make sure to ask the dealer about seeing that one. I'm betting the size of the car is going to be a turnoff to my wife though. She kept nudging me about the A6 when we were looking at the S4.

And I don't care what anyone says, the door/upholstery gap is horrible in a Corolla let alone a $30k sedan bearing a Mercedes emblem. The problem only compounds itself when the cost of my car will be about twice that. I've never owned a car with that "design feature." What other cars do you know of with that kind of gap? And, why does that make it acceptable? It looks awful. I wonder if others didn't notice it in other cars because they were sitting in dark colored cars. A Jupiter Red door/jamb is going to stand out against a black interior whereas a silver door/jamb is better concealed against an ash interior or a grey or black exterior will not appear as a striking contrast to a dark interior. My CLA45 would be Jupiter Red...ugh.

I feel like I've written a half dozen posts stating the same thing recently. It's really going to suck if I am as disappointed as it sounds like you were after seeing it, John. AWD is a must have for me so I can't even think of a C63 or M3 and I need a sedan so if I'm going to give up the 45's performance I don't think I'm willing to give up a manual, too, which leaves me 2 real options...335i xDrive and an S4. Okay, I haven't even seen the car yet and I'm preparing myself for a let down.

-Eric

·
Registered
312 Posts
I'm test driving a 435i xdrive Msport this Friday. I'll give you my feedback.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts