Mercedes CLA Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got in from joy riding with the new CLA. I'm out here in Dallas, TX. Park Place Benz got a bunch of them, I was told when I picked mine up I was the 9th one to get it.

Specs:
Mountain Grey Metallic, Beige Interior, Sport, Bi Xenon, Premium

I will say when I first laid eyes on the car, my initial thought was "that's small". And my heart sank. I had spent the last 6 months convincing myself that it was big enough. I looked at dimensions, compared them against other cars (including my 2002 Infiniti I35) and thought it was plenty big. Well... it looks SMALL. Well, once you sit in it and look in the trunk, it actually feels and looks big. I didn't feel cramped at all, except in the back seat, which won't get much use from me. But once in the front it feels like a coupe feels.. that is to say it feels like the car was built for the front seat. I like the instrument panel, the feel of the materials, and the thick bezel and tablet looking screen didn't even bother me (I thought it was going to be a deal breaker). You fail to notice it after awhile. The only issue with the screen is it looks kind of low definition, which it might be since it doesn't have the multimedia package.

My biggest gripe with the car, besides the smallish look, has to be the quirky transmission. It was just all over the place in Econ mode. It was slightly better in Sport Mode and great as you accelerate onto a freeway, but start stop driving in the city is all over the place in both modes. Steering is tight, handles well, got a lot of looks, and otherwise it is just a beautiful car. A view from the front is just breath taking. I found myself just standing and staring at it for minutes... it really is a beautiful car on the outside, and I'm starting to feel better about the proportions. This is my first brand new car and the most expensive car I've ever purchased by a factor of 3, so while right now I'm sick to my stomach for my bank account, I figure even if I live to regret it this will serve to be a fun, financially painful, learning mistake.

·
Registered
33 Posts
First of all, congratulations! You picked up a sweet car in a nice color. Mercedes is going to sell a lot of these no matter what, so you should be glad you are one of the first. It is probably the best deal you can get on a brand new high end vehicle so if you have a steady job, you will recover. I'm sure that in the end you will be glad you got it. If not, you still have the right mindset when you say it will be a fun learning mistake lol.

Can you go further into your experiences with the transmission? Being a dual clutch was one of the most appealing things to me that the car had. (It compensated for the FWD to me)

Can you explain what you mean by it was all over the place?
Was it responsive and fast? Even with the shift paddles?

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
First of all, congratulations! You picked up a sweet car in a nice color. Mercedes is going to sell a lot of these no matter what, so you should be glad you are one of the first. It is probably the best deal you can get on a brand new high end vehicle so if you have a steady job, you will recover. I'm sure that in the end you will be glad you got it. If not, you still have the right mindset when you say it will be a fun learning mistake lol.

Can you go further into your experiences with the transmission? Being a dual clutch was one of the most appealing things to me that the car had. (It compensated for the FWD to me)

Can you explain what you mean by it was all over the place?
Was it responsive and fast? Even with the shift paddles?
My question is exactly the same. What do you mean "all over the place ?"
You know the car has automatic start stop feature. I am wondering is that as seamless as I hope it would be. Not sure if you can turn it off as in the 328i.
No matter how good the car looks, it has to drive well. Looks will fade after you own the car for a couple of years. The worse part is your car gets worn and old but your payment remains the same as
when your car was brand new out of the dealer's driveway.

·
Registered
33 Posts
You know the car has automatic start stop feature. I am wondering is that as seamless as I hope it would be. Not sure if you can turn it off as in the 328i.
No matter how good the car looks, it has to drive well. Looks will fade after you own the car for a couple of years. The worse part is your car gets worn and old but your payment remains the same as
The start/stop feature is only when the car is in Eco mode. (-based on my online research)

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
You can turn off start stop by pushing the eco button Vehicle Car Personal luxury car Center console Luxury vehicle

·
Registered
288 Posts
maybe its the whole CAFE regs kicking in on the transmission programming. hbkid, you should let the dealer know about the transmission. Lets hope the programming settles out over time...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Let me start with the easy question, you can use Eco Start/Stop mode in both Econ and Sport modes of your transmission.... and its function is not as "seamless" as I would like. You do feel a bit of a stutter when you take your foot off the brake, however that might be because the vehicle is new to me so I'm paying attention to everything. I can see how over time it could get to a point where I didn't even notice it.

Now as far as the transmission, it's a little difficult for me to explain. My point of reference is my I35, which was a 255 hp V6. In my I35, if I was coasting at 40, and wanted to pick up the pace and hit 60 pretty quick, I would depress the gas pedal a little more, the car would downshift, the power was there, and before I knew it I was at 60. I felt like in this car, when I tried to do the same thing, it took an extra half second for the car to downshift and find that power. I believe this was in Econ mode when I noticed this. The other issue was, coming from a full stop in Sport mode, I remember feeling like the car shifted to third gear too quickly, and didn't accelerate all it should have in 2nd gear. Granted it does have 7 gears to get through, maybe this is my being a novice. You know, every car drives differently and maybe I just have to get a feel for it over time. Its not something I'm too worried about. I noticed it during the test drive and it wasn't enough to break the deal for me. I did go in manual for a little bit and I found that to be great. Car was very responsive to the paddle shifters and on the display, it suggests when you should shift to a higher/lower gear which I found to be helpful as I haven't driven a stick in like 12 years and 7 gears is a lot to get through. I wouldn't be overly concerned about my comments. I will drive it more today and come back and let you know if I still feel the same way. Also, I read the manual last night and it said that it recommended you keep the car in Econ for the first 1k miles to break it in, not sure if that will help smooth things out a bit after I get a little mileage on the odometer.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I didn't think the start/stop was much different than the BMW 328i.
But I did also notice the hesitation when I wanted more, but I think I was in the econ mode. Yesterday's drive was just a quick one to rule the car in our out. It's back in...

·
Registered
681 Posts
The dual clutch is NOT an automatic tranny as we know it; and it is NOT as smooth and 'seamless'.

·
Registered
288 Posts
The dual clutch is NOT an automatic tranny as we know it; and it is NOT as smooth and 'seamless'.
oh yeah thats also one point. I have never driven a DCT, and the vast majority of the buying public probably havent either (unless they have driven or owned VW products)...so this is going to be a new expierence. Also i know Mercedes doesnt have much expierence with DCTs as well, seeing as only the SLS has this type of transmission.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
oh yeah thats also one point. I have never driven a DCT, and the vast majority of the buying public probably havent either (unless they have driven or owned VW products)...so this is going to be a new expierence. Also i know Mercedes doesnt have much expierence with DCTs as well, seeing as only the SLS has this type of transmission.
Agreed, I think it may just take some getting used to. I tell you what man picking this thing up on Monday was the worst idea. I'm sitting here in my cube and all I can think about is getting another chance to drive it and get a better feel for the DCT and steering.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Agreed, I think it may just take some getting used to. I tell you what man picking this thing up on Monday was the worst idea. I'm sitting here in my cube and all I can think about is getting another chance to drive it and get a better feel for the DCT and steering.
what will help MB is owner feedback...so that they can update the transmission software and what not. I do know that this transmission has been in use in the B class up in Canada for some time now, and in Europe on the A and B class. As more american drivers get the CLA, im sure the software will be fine-tuned. I do know that the pre-production CLA's driven in Europe also had these quirks...

·
Registered
19 Posts
i'm about to pick up my car this weekend that has similar options like yours
so could you tell me your car's price out the door? (I just want to get some advice about its price)
Thanks

·
Registered
278 Posts
Vehicle Car Land vehicle Steering part Vehicle Car Steering wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car Mercedes-benz Mercedes-benz sls amg Land vehicle Vehicle Car Luxury vehicle Mercedes-benz Automotive lighting Red Light Lighting Automotive tail & brake light

The car has a weird jerk when the engine shuts off on the red light. I m gonna try to turn it off. its kind of annoying. how much gas can you possibly save lol

·
Registered
347 Posts
A DCT will not be as quick as engaging my park. It's a manual trans. However, hit the peddle doing 65 and it will show you what's up. ;) My 2011 M3 had a DCT and I LOVED IT!!!!!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts