Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there’s an awful lot on the forum and online about air filters but I’m struggling to get a straight answer... is a K&N filter ‘Better’ than stock? I can’t imagine MB making a bad air filter...

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Welcome Brad :)
In the US they cost about $60 + ship and require washing rather than replacement.
So, the filter's effectiveness will vary according to the ability of the "washer." An inadequate washing might also affect your MB warranty??

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
May also want to consider oiled vs dry filter media ... recall some issues with oiled media if not coated properly
I personally avoid any potential problem avenues so my aftermarket filter element is a dry drop in and has worked well for several years now
Nothing wrong with the oem units ... just not washable and clogs up quicker
And will not tolerate accidental water incursion

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If the k&n filters are well looked after and re oiled properly would they be deemed better?

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I'm staying with the OEM, which is 100% perfect every time and I just not into washing filters and worrying about MB saying it was found to be ineffective at some point. Long run, the imagined savings are not worth my time....but then, I'm a crazy American, still under extended warranty.
What is your strong interest in K&N?

Reactions: JustSynthetic.com

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Also, "Well looked after" will Never be 100%...just can't be!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm staying with the OEM, which is 100% perfect every time and I just not into washing filters and worrying about MB saying it was found to be ineffective at some point. Long run, the imagined savings are not worth my time....but then, I'm a crazy American, still under extended warranty.
What is your strong interest in K&N?
The interest in the k&n was just with half the people online saying they’re a no brainer to buy...More hp, more efficient, better turbo/engine sounds then the other half saying don’t bother... just a little confused as to what’s the truth.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Which online site is that?

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Would like to visit the one which impacted you the most. Can you recall where that was?

·
Registered
1,118 Posts

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I know there’s an awful lot on the forum and online about air filters but I’m struggling to get a straight answer... is a K&N filter ‘Better’ than stock? I can’t imagine MB making a bad air filter...
In my previous cars, like th SAAB 9-3 2.0t, I have used drop-in aftermarket units like the JR performance airfilter. It definitely audibly indicates you are drawing in a lot more air, with the swooshing air flow sound. But to be honest, I didn't really notice any real Hp gains or even torque. The main reason is, I didn't do any engine ECU tune mods, which would calibrate the engine to the increased airflow over factory settings. It sure sounded great, but like a poster here said, cleaning it was not fun. Not sure id it was because of the oiled element, the car after a while, started to have poor idling and was not as smooth running as before the mod. I ended up buying back the factory paper filter and was happy with that.

If you have to use a performance filter, go with the safer route, use a dry non-oiled one.

If you are considering it for just the sounds it produces , sure, spend the extra bucks for it. But if you really want to see a noticeable Hp and torque gain, then do a proper ECU/dyno tune, add a downpipe, upgrade your cat-back exhaust. You will now get the sounds and the detectable performance to match.

All the performance filter companies Ads will say anything to get you to buy their products. At the end of the day, it might just end up being just a "make me feel good" product. JMHO

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
......All the performance filter companies Ads will say anything to get you to buy their products. At the end of the day, it might just end up being just a "make me feel good" product. JMHO (y)
_
I would really like to see the Site where Brad says he saw a 50/50 split on the K&N opinions/evaluations.
The proper washing, full drying and spray on treatment, might take some users a full day just to remove all the moisture.
When the oil treatment droplets come in contact with the MAF Sensor within the CLA's air intake, it causes immediate performance issues and could affect the CLA warranty. I would like to see if this was mentioned in the Site which Brad visited. These specifics are necessary to have an intelligent discussion

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
oil fumes are not good for this motor
all the bad pcv cases suggest that
thats why my k&n (which i bought even before my car arrived) is still in a box
and i found a good dry drop in with better flow (to utilize a tune) but still an oem fit and seal (very important)
and to boot the aftermarket blocks water incursion while the oem cant do that
(a poor buy had his c63 engine destroyed from a tire splash in a rain storm ... water went right past the paper filters ouch)

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
....thats why my k&n (which i bought even before my car arrived) is still in a box...
@jmc - If you would you be willing to pass it on to Brad, just say so. He is considering his options and opinions on this lifetime filter and I doubt he could beat your offer...do you also have the oil spray treatment for sale?

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
Oh good grief ... its somewhere in the garage which is a bit of a war zone right now
And no i did not buy the re oil kit since i did not deploy that filter
Not sure i would sell a filter to another forum member if i would not use it on my own car
Cuz i would feel horrible if it dinged his intake system/ sensors

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Understand - A matter of ethics.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
In my previous cars, like th SAAB 9-3 2.0t, I have used drop-in aftermarket units like the JR performance airfilter. It definitely audibly indicates you are drawing in a lot more air, with the swooshing air flow sound. But to be honest, I didn't really notice any real Hp gains or even torque. The main reason is, I didn't do any engine ECU tune mods, which would calibrate the engine to the increased airflow over factory settings. It sure sounded great, but like a poster here said, cleaning it was not fun. Not sure id it was because of the oiled element, the car after a while, started to have poor idling and was not as smooth running as before the mod. I ended up buying back the factory paper filter and was happy with that.

If you have to use a performance filter, go with the safer route, use a dry non-oiled one.

If you are considering it for just the sounds it produces , sure, spend the extra bucks for it. But if you really want to see a noticeable Hp and torque gain, then do a proper ECU/dyno tune, add a downpipe, upgrade your cat-back exhaust. You will now get the sounds and the detectable performance to match.

All the performance filter companies Ads will say anything to get you to buy their products. At the end of the day, it might just end up being just a "make me feel good" product. JMHO
Thanks for the reply 👍🏼 I have already had the car tuned which led the thought process of would the car need a better air intake... thought a better filter might be sufficient without spending a lot of money

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
_
I would really like to see the Site where Brad says he saw a 50/50 split on the K&N opinions/evaluations.
The proper washing, full drying and spray on treatment, might take some users a full day just to remove all the moisture.
When the oil treatment droplets come in contact with the MAF Sensor within the CLA's air intake, it causes immediate performance issues and could affect the CLA warranty. I would like to see if this was mentioned in the Site which Brad visited. These specifics are necessary to have an intelligent discussion
It was just reading on this forum and different YouTube videos of mechanics and people with different motoring backgrounds discussing and doing K&N filter tests. The majority said the MAF sensor issue was just a myth (as long as you re oil them correctly)

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I've had a K&n in the car for about 3 years now and just wash and reoil as recommended. Then I let it stand in the sun for a few hours before I reinsert the filter back into the car. Haven't had any issues. It does help with the induction sound a bit but its nothing crazy that will generate second looks.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts