21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
oh there was a thread back in 2018 re intake path sensors
no maf but twin ps and maf data is deduced
supposedly “speed density” is the turbo tuning term etc etc

but if oil film does end up influencing one or both ps then ooops

anyway yes if the grid is oiled “lightly” the k&n should work ... though thats the issue - there is no repeatable process such that the oil film uniformity and density is consistent between applications at different sites just too many human and environment issues hence i went with a good dry element for my case

also supposedly the oem intake system was deemed more than sufficient for basic tunes
i see ~10lb/min for the deduced maf data so guess the dry dropin is good enough

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
...The majority said the MAF sensor issue was just a myth (as long as you re oil them correctly)
Brad - Since your reference is so broad, we cannot review it. Just say specifically where you are getting this from...which YouTube, which Site...so that we can look it up.

·
Registered
95 Posts
It was just reading on this forum and different YouTube videos of mechanics and people with different motoring backgrounds discussing and doing K&N filter tests. The majority said the MAF sensor issue was just a myth (as long as you re oil them correctly)
Just my 2 cents. The majority is giving you a false positive! How can it be a myth if the next statement is "IF you re-oil it correctly?"
Amsoil partnered with Donaldson and Injen and launched the best Nano-Web dry air filter. Better airflow and 50x more filtering then K&N. all facts can be verified and just think of air compressors, oiled and oil-free, every wrench head will choose oil-free?

Best of luck and go with your gut, science is subjective...

Reactions: Geo K

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
Mikey!!
Hey does the fancy nano web thing come in a 250 dropin fitment?

ps - my oilless compressor has been good to me so far (time flies 20yrs good grief) ... though the darn pneumatic impact wrench needs a few drops to work

·
Registered
95 Posts
Mikey!!
Hey does the fancy nanoweb thing come in a 250 drop-in fitment?

ps - my oilless compressor has been good to me so far (time flies 20yrs good grief) ... though the darn pneumatic impact wrench needs a few drops to work
No, drop-in with a weird size (not square) but I just used the cone on the inside of the airbox. Lasts 100K and just blow out or vacuum to clean it.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
.... I’m struggling to get a straight answer... is a K&N filter ‘Better’ than stock? I can’t imagine MB making a bad air filter....
Hey Brad,
Here is an analysis testing New filters only. We would expect washed and reused to not perform as well as the new and expect the washing and drying to take considerable time. Cannot find any test involving one which has been washed & dried.

https:www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ3L-E-ufYo

·
Registered
2015 CLA 45 AMG
5 Posts
I've had a K&n in the car for about 3 years now and just wash and reoil as recommended. Then I let it stand in the sun for a few hours before I reinsert the filter back into the car. Haven't had any issues. It does help with the induction sound a bit but its nothing crazy that will generate second looks.
Hi.. Just want to share my car is Cla 45 Amg.. I’ve been using the K&N air filter also for about 2 years and 6 months.. no problem at all.. Just to make sure when you clean it, do not over oil and make sure it is dry (Usually I use a air compressor and let it dry for 4 hours).. Also I nottice the crackle sound is more compare using the stock air filter.. Sorry for my bad english

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Welcome Yulius to the CLA Forum:)
Thanks for your input. What city are you near?

·
Registered
2015 CLA 45 AMG
5 Posts
Welcome Yulius to the CLA Forum:)
Thanks for your input. What city are you near?
Hi Geo.. I live in Indonesia the city is Jakarta.. I’ve been using the Car for Almost 3 years.. I bought tha Car as CPO.. Thx a lot

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Yulius, Can you recall how many times you have washed, dried, and reoiled your K&N air filter?
How long does the process take you each time?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
...How long does the process take you each time?
EDIT: I do see you say 4 hours to dry, but all together ...remove, wash, dry, re-oil, replace - please estimate the total hours.

·
Registered
2015 CLA 45 AMG
5 Posts
Yulius, Can you recall how many times you have washed, dried, and reoiled your K&N air filter?
How long does the process take you each time?
Hi Geo.. Because I live in Jakarta, Indonesia (one of the most polluted city) usually I cleain it every 3.000 km.. for time to dry, ussually I wait for about 1.5 hour and after that I use and air compressor to make sure no water on the filter.. I use the Oil Very light.. and let it dry for 1.5 hour and put it back again.. Just FYI: I use K&N air filter on my other vehicles too: Toyota harrier ( I’ve been using K&N for 100.000 Km and no problem at all).. Hope My writing answer your question.

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
@Yulius
you are correct ... a mist of oil is all that is needed
and the drying (or settling time) is needed for the oil film to permeate and distribute evenly
glad you have patience for the process and in your particular environment the k&n may indeed be applicable

21 - 34 of 34 Posts