Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sue has clearly explained the Keyless Entry and Keyless Go in the other thread, but my question was not answered before the thread was closed.

In my A5 and my wife's RR Evoque, they have a convenience where you can have the key in your jacket pocket or handbag. Approach a locked vehicle, grab the door handle, pull and that specific door will unlock. Get in. Drive away.

Now both of our cars also has the Keyless GO (eg. Press Start, engine ignition), hence I believe those two features are related and unlikely to have that convenience I refer to above in the CLA45, since it does not have Keyless GO.

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
My apologies. I didn't mean to actually lock that thread. :) lol [I will unlock it momentarily]

Your RR is the first car I've heard of that actually unlocks when you approach it. I would seriously hate that for the reason I gave in the other thread. The CLA does not, to the best of my knowledge, include that feature although I will defer to existing owners to confirm (and will also check for you). It is my understanding that you have to press an unlock and lock buttons on the FOB in order to engage that mechanism. This functionality is INCLUDED (the fob open/close feature -- not automatic though) on the CLA.

What is clearly not included is Keyless Go.

Again, sorry about that other thread...(soon to be unlocked). :)

-Eric

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
Okay, I found something to confirm the answer to your question.

Here's a link to the CLA's owner's manual: http://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/DigitalAssets/pdfmb/ownersmanual/2014_CLA.pdf

Page 72 of the Owner's Manual (Page 74 of the .pdf) includes a description of the Smart Key system. It includes pictures of the buttons on the fob that are used to operate the unlock/lock controls.

I hope this helps! :D

-Eric

P.S. The other thread is now unlocked.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Sue has clearly explained the Keyless Entry and Keyless Go in the other thread, but my question was not answered before the thread was closed.

In my A5 and my wife's RR Evoque, they have a convenience where you can have the key in your jacket pocket or handbag. Approach a locked vehicle, grab the door handle, pull and that specific door will unlock. Get in. Drive away.

Now both of our cars also has the Keyless GO (eg. Press Start, engine ignition), hence I believe those two features are related and unlikely to have that convenience I refer to above in the CLA45, since it does not have Keyless GO.
I have the same features in my M3 and Passat both have keyless touch lock-unlock on the door handle and both have keyless push button start. The CLA45 will not have that available at least for the first year. I bet they will make that part of the multi-media / technology package replacing the back up camera which should be standard in 2015 on all cars.

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
My parents have it on their X3s and I believe their Murano had a "smart key" function as well. All were a part of the "keyless go" feature and, to the best of my knowledge, only operated the door closest to the person holding the fob. I can't imagine that the system is any different on your M3. Does the Passat work differently? I should have been clearer in my original post and, for whatever reason, I read the post as suggesting that it opened ALL of the doors -- which he didn't suggest...just a bad quick read on my part.

Regardless, I don't know whether it will be part of a package in 2015 but you can bet it will be an option...especially since it's a standalone option on seemingly every other model and at least one dealer hinted that it would be on its way.

-Eric

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just to clarify, the car doesn't unlock as you approach. It remains locked until you touch the door handle AND you have the key 'on' you.

No biggie, doesn't seem have that feature. My wife on the other hand would be annoyed at that, since its very handy when you have small children (not having to fumble around looking for a key in a large hand bag or diaper bag etc)

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
I agree with the convenience of the feature -- and apologize for reading too much into the original post. I've had a bad day. I should cease posting now while the hole I've dug myself is only a few feet deep. lol

-Eric

·
Registered
342 Posts
I swear this keyless go feature and the like were designed for someone like my wife... she can open the door, start the car and drive away without fumbling for the key in that huge purse of hers. lol

Unfortunately, no keyless go on the CLA but maybe it's a good thing. She'll drive my car less =)

·
Registered
38 Posts
My apologies. I didn't mean to actually lock that thread. :) lol [I will unlock it momentarily]

Your RR is the first car I've heard of that actually unlocks when you approach it. I would seriously hate that for the reason I gave in the other thread. The CLA does not, to the best of my knowledge, include that feature although I will defer to existing owners to confirm (and will also check for you). It is my understanding that you have to press an unlock and lock buttons on the FOB in order to engage that mechanism. This functionality is INCLUDED (the fob open/close feature -- not automatic though) on the CLA.

What is clearly not included is Keyless Go.

Again, sorry about that other thread...(soon to be unlocked). :)

-Eric
I have a Evoque as well it doesnt unlock when you get near it, on the evoque it unlocks when you pull the handle instantly if you have the key in close proximity to that handle. you can also set it up to unlock both doors in the nav screen if you prefer. I do wish the GLA had this as its extrmemly conveinent in my RR

·
Registered
534 Posts
I have a Evoque as well it doesnt unlock when you get near it, on the evoque it unlocks when you pull the handle instantly if you have the key in close proximity to that handle. you can also set it up to unlock both doors in the nav screen if you prefer. I do wish the GLA had this as its extrmemly conveinent in my RR
Just like my wife's Lexus.

However, as you approach even without touching anything the interior lights come on if you have your key on you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts