Mercedes CLA Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Mercedes CLA 250 AMG 4matic auto
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design
After a repair I found the garage had left this aluminium plate just resting loose inside the hood on the engine. Took the part and the car back to the Mercedes dealer they say they don’t know where it belongs and the mechanic who last worked on the car is sick. The last work done was looking at the prop shaft and differential . Anyone recognise this part? There is no part number on the metal.
Cla 250 AMG 2016 uk market
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Welcome to the CLA Forum Big Pete:)
Fastest solution suggestion: As dealer to phone the "sick" tech and ask him.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
"...Never, give in, never, never never!..."
W. Churchill, [1941, 29 Oct. ]

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply. Underneath the engine cover? Do you have an example picture or more details of where it goes? The engine cover plastic so I don’t think it will be welded to this. The underside of the hood has no matching 4 holes to connect it. Also the garage was repairing the rear of the car so why would they touch anything in the engine compartment?

it’s very random to leave a part in the engine bay.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have looked at my pictures of the part again and it does not look like any spot welding is involved. It looks like it is bolted with 4 bolts to some part of the car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The garage claim they looked under the car at the exhaust system and no heat shields are missing. So it’s a mystery where this heat plate came from and ended up in the engine bay.

·
Registered
210 Posts
The garage claim they looked under the car at the exhaust system and no heat shields are missing. So it’s a mystery where this heat plate came from and ended up in the engine bay.
Open your hood, the black plastic cover that has the mercedes emblem. That pops right off, it goes underneath that plastic cover on the bottom side of it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone. I popped the top off the engine cover and I can see where the heat shield goes. Ie at the bottom near the front of the plastic coverIt’s held on by 4 plastic lugs.
The garage has the part still so I will go and collect it and fit it myself.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The 4 plastic lugs have melted slightly so the garage have glued the plate to the engine cover. It takes 24 hours for the adhesive to cure. Here is the plate back in position, see picture below.

·
Premium Member
13,306 Posts
actually mine was “rattling” a long time ago when i was going thru the new engine bay
had to dab the connection points with hi temp silicone to stop the tin can racket gosh so annoying on a new car
thats how i knew what the heck that plate was

just glad yours didnt fly under and slice up your cv joints or something drastic

1 - 17 of 17 Posts