Mercedes CLA Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had the opportunity recently to take a longer drive up the CA coast on a somewhat "warm" day
over varying terrain and ambient conditions.
The coolant system still contains the OEM (blue) coolant and 575mL of 50-50 mix has been
added over the past 7 years. Factory water pump and thermostat.
Definitely ran the A/C system through much of the drive ... except when it was totally nice to
feel the ocean air at some zones. Some of the higher elevation interior valleys were pretty hot.
Interesting (and "comfort"ing) results for the Torrance to Santa Maria segment along 405/101:
Coolant ranged from 165 ~ 215F (192F average / 2 uncommon 160F points))
Ambient was 66 ~ 100F (81F average)
Altitude went up to 301m (993ft) per GPS (bit of neg bias but close enough)
Overall eval : seems the coolant temp cycling stability is better (smaller swing envelope) when the
system is not stressed, like the flat coastal drive segment; the thermostat works harder when the
roads are through hilly and hotter zones. Good news is the system can still cycle down to ~165F
and dump the heat. Pretty good considering how hot the engine bay can get. :)

Rectangle Slope Font Plot Line

·
Registered
182 Posts
Had the opportunity recently to take a longer drive up the CA coast on a somewhat "warm" day
over varying terrain and ambient conditions.
The coolant system still contains the OEM (blue) coolant and 575mL of 50-50 mix has been
added over the past 7 years. Factory water pump and thermostat.
Definitely ran the A/C system through much of the drive ... except when it was totally nice to
feel the ocean air at some zones. Some of the higher elevation interior valleys were pretty hot.
Interesting (and "comfort"ing) results for the Torrance to Santa Maria segment along 405/101:
Coolant ranged from 165 ~ 215F (192F average / 2 uncommon 160F points))
Ambient was 66 ~ 100F (81F average)
Altitude went up to 301m (993ft) per GPS (bit of neg bias but close enough)
Overall eval : seems the coolant temp cycling stability is better (smaller swing envelope) when the
system is not stressed, like the flat coastal drive segment; the thermostat works harder when the
roads are through hilly and hotter zones. Good news is the system can still cycle down to ~165F
and dump the heat. Pretty good considering how hot the engine bay can get. :)

View attachment 67585
What did you use to capture this data, Id be interested in seeing my data, in a hot Arizona summer. (Pretty much the doorway to hell when it is 117+ outside) Since I tend to drive my car a little bit on the harder side.

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What did you use to capture this data, Id be interested in seeing my data, in a hot Arizona summer. (Pretty much the doorway to hell when it is 117+ outside) Since I tend to drive my car a little bit on the harder side.
Are your “hard”drives self inflicted? these new SlowSereneDrives may help!

Most decent OBD2 loggers will do ... I just happen to like the units called OBDLink and the latest MX+ works on android and ios

Though there may be a trial an error to find the correct phone+logger+app to maintain a decent log rate ... like 30~50 sensor output points per second and still plot down to 100ms intervals

·
Registered
393 Posts

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Brother, that is so seriously you :ROFLMAO:
Oh?

Thought it would be a useful reference, what with all the cooling related concerns, and finally had a chance to grab that data

·
Registered
393 Posts
Oh?

Thought it would be a useful reference, what with all the cooling related concerns, and finally had a chance to grab that data
In your hands it should be.

At my recent visit to the MB service shop for my Service A (2 years in a row due to low mileage) the service manager mentions the dreaded CLA water pump as a known culprit. I didn't ask if that has been addressed on the new generation. They knew it and no recall? :cautious:
Oh well.

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
re: water pump
many moons ago quite a few folks had failed water pumps and it sure looked like it could have escalated into a recall though of course that didnt happen for whatever reason
which is why its a good idea to monitor coolant data trends and consistency over time plus of course regular eyeballing of the water pump for dried coolant trails and observing the coolant reservoir level ... simple tasks to head off difficult problems as much as possible

1 - 7 of 7 Posts