Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When our 250's came out the OEM plug was the NGK SILZKFR8C7S.

Well recently they updated that to the SILZKFR8E7S ...

NGK_SILZKFR8E7S.JPG

·
Registered
9,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do you know the difference> any difference in size? Is it possibly a colder plug?
From the cryptic oem designations its the same size and type (FR) same heat range (8) same gap and gasket (7S) but "different" construction (E not C). They may have tweaked the ceramic insulator and internal middle electrode design / specs which warranted the updated E marking. Either all that, or the C is supplied to Benz directly and E is distributed thru stores ... wont be surprised. The news release for this new plug was back on 102115.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
[/FONI could be wrong but I would think if there was a media release there would be a technical change not just a part number change between whom distributes the plug. T]

·
Registered
9,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
[/FONI could be wrong but I would think if there was a media release there would be a technical change not just a part number change between whom distributes the plug. T]

If common sense prevails yes I would agree ... but modern times has all sorts of new business and marketing tricks. Like the same round italian phoenolic gear shift knob has two part numbers and two prices (one under Ferrari one under Fiat). Funny thing is both parts warehouses were under the same roof ... one east wing one west wing.
Back in the day the folks there knew me by name when I was visiting so often to get parts 😜

·
Registered
9,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey folks! Reviving this so we can get all hot and bothered again ... >:cool:

Check these "ruthenium" spark plugs ... I know ... ruuu-what???

I like the flame front propagation diagrams ... finally some open source pictures of what goes on during ignition ... but 3ms? Geewhiz in this day and age streak cams are much faster than that.
Spec sheet is as of April 2019.
Too bad nothing listed for the 250 / 45 yet ... darn.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Im going to be trying a set of brisk racing mor12lgs spark plugs

They worked great in another turbo car I owned and im curious how well they will hold up in the CLA.

·
Registered
9,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow ... interesting twist
Silver electrode material in a semisurface configuration ... so presumably the “gap” would be consistent (well, to machining tolerances anyway) regardless of firing direction ... which I suppose eliminates the indexing requirement as well as the traditional ground stalk shadow
My guess is the replacement interval would necessarily be shorter compared to iridium or platinum materials
Are you gonna dyno this ignition variant?

·
Registered
9,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
p.s.
come to think of it, the oem design is a vertical spark embedded inside the mixture volume perimeter
semisurface would be a horizontal spark perhaps right at the edge of the volume though its compass would (supposedly) be self aligning to the localized mixture densities etc
gosh ... guess the final hp/tq numbers will tell all ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts