Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Proud owner here of a 16 CLA 45 AMG. Just picked it up with only 40,000km. It has every option and spec that I wanted I couldn't refuse when I saw it .
The only complaint I have Is the ride quality. I have the 19 inch black rims with 235/35/19 Pierlli P zero run flat tires on the car. The only mistake I made was not researching further into the car in regards to the amg performance suspension. The car does have it. At times it's a thrill to drive, great cornering and grip but at other times on bad roads I feel every bump. I assume it's the nature of the suspension. Is there any way to reduce the harshness?
Going to 18" rims? Tire suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
a) It is mostly the nature of the stiffer Run Flats.
b) What are your 4 tire pressures today?
c) Are they the same as shown on your fuel filler door?
(The lower pressure brings a softer ride)
d) As JMC pointed out in your rear end noise thread, possibly related to a shocks issue.
e) What is your appointment day?

·
Registered
11,139 Posts
Well to first order 18s and standard 92 load tires at 36/32 will soften the harshness

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
a) It is mostly the nature of the stiffer Run Flats.
b) What are your 4 tire pressures today?
c) Are they the same as shown on your fuel filler door?
(The lower pressure brings a softer ride)
d) As JMC pointed out in your rear end noise thread, possibly related to a shocks issue.
e) What is your appointment day?

So far been to two mechanics. Found no source of the noise. I am now at mercedes currently.. they are charging me 170 to check . Fingers crossed they find it. I will report back.

May swap out the run flats. Good idea about the tire pressure will check that also.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
.... I am now at mercedes currently....
Perfect - Demonstrate the noise with a test drive with the mechanic, if you have not already done so. (y)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So both the service technician and shop foreman heard the noise on a test drive.
They kept my car until this morning I recieved a call from them and it's a rear passenger shock internal failure. So they replace both sides at the same time. I'm just glad this is coming to a conclusion. I am out of warranty by 3 months but because of covid they are helping me with the price .

·
Registered
11,139 Posts
Those darn shocks strike again
Glad thats fixed
Should ask for courtesy warranty fix due to covid delaying it past warranty end date
Talk to mbusa directly

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just picked up the car. I have my sanity back! No noise and even feels smoother. I can finally fully enjoy the car.

Those darn shocks strike again
Glad thats fixed
Should ask for courtesy warranty fix due to covid delaying it past warranty end date
Talk to mbusa directly
I wonder why these shocks are a common issue. Is there anything we can do to prevent it?

·
Registered
11,139 Posts
Nah
Just posted in another thread re: same issue
hope they do not draw replacements from the same batch else you folks will be revisiting dealers
So many of us on here with this -> bug nhtsa for a class recall???

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Glad you can enjoy your car. I have the 2020 CLA35 AMG and the ride can definitely be harsh. I look forward to ditching the run flats with my next tire change

Reactions: makhipha

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Glad you can enjoy your car. I have the 2020 CLA35 AMG and the ride can definitely be harsh. I look forward to ditching the run flats with my next tire change
Beautiful car you have!
I'm definitely going to ditch the run flats.
It's good to know even a newer car like yours has some of the harshness I'm experiencing.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Going to 18" wheels may make as much difference - both together should be significant.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts