Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as you guys I want to have my brand new CLA.
I'm not sure if this is true or not but the salesman in south florida told me that if I want to order the car in designo Magno Polar Silver I have to wait until february 2014.

I know.. everybody wants their shiny cars, may be thats why I do want my care in matte... of course I can do this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72-Vo6OKe7c&feature=player_embedded#
but doesn't feel nice.

so, have anyone had this issue? or it's just a sales trick?
pls let me know..

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
First I've heard of it but that doesn't mean anything. We've got a few people who work for MB on the board. Hopefully one of them will chime in if they are able to share the info with us.

-Eric

·
Registered
295 Posts
I'm not sure if this is true or not but the salesman in south florida told me that if I want to order the car in designo Magno Polar Silver I have to wait until february 2014.
This is correct for both Designo Colors. My Patagonia Red is also delayed untill February 2014 (ordered march 2013).

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
So as you guys I want to have my brand new CLA.

I know.. everybody wants their shiny cars, may be thats why I do want my care in matte... of course I can do this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72-Vo6OKe7c&feature=player_embedded#
but doesn't feel nice.

so, have anyone had this issue? or it's just a sales trick?
pls let me know..
I don't know if you've dealt with caring for matte paint but it is a process so as to keeping it clean and looking matte. Special products are needed and if not careful the matte can be rubbed out to a shine. I think an easier option maintenance wise would be to get a clear matte wrap. Easier to care for and it offers protection to the paint. Of course if you know this already than I apologize for regurgitation. Anyways I like the matte polar silver. Will look great.

Sent from my iPhone using Mercedes CLA Forum mobile app

·
Registered
294 Posts
The Magno Polar Silver might be great for a weekend only, good weather only, garage kept car. When I look at that color I see high initial cost, high maintenance and low durability. Cool as it may be today, I don't think I'd consider that color for a daily driver. My opinion only, your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Torcator, buy whatever color is your favorite. One thing about your original statement where you said that you " have to wait until February." While it is very true that you will have to wait until February or later to receive a car in one of the Designo colors, you really need to get your order placed in the queue NOW!! If you wait until February to place the order then you will be behind all the other orders that are now filling the queue. The earlier you order, the sooner the car will be built. It's all about reserving your spot in the queue!

I'd give strong consideration to the suggestion from Milazzo to order the Polar Silver (gloss metallic $750 USD) and then apply a matte wrap. Then, you wouldn't have to wait until February or beyond. You could have the best of both worlds! I bet that the matte wrap would be significantly lower cost than the Magno Polar Silver at $2500 USD.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Torcator, buy whatever color is your favorite. One thing about your original statement where you said that you " have to wait until February." While it is very true that you will have to wait until February or later to receive a car in one of the Designo colors, you really need to get your order placed in the queue NOW!! If you wait until February to place the order then you will be behind all the other orders that are now filling the queue. The earlier you order, the sooner the car will be built. It's all about reserving your spot in the queue!

I'd give strong consideration to the suggestion from Milazzo to order the Polar Silver (gloss metallic $750 USD) and then apply a matte wrap. Then, you wouldn't have to wait until February or beyond. You could have the best of both worlds! I bet that the matte wrap would be significantly lower cost than the Magno Polar Silver at $2500 USD.
Thanks David. The cost depending on where you live could be $2500 plus or minus. It's not cheap if you're getting it done right ie pulling bumpers and removing lights and doing the jams. There is a lot to doing a wrap, but the maintenance for the matte look you want will be 1000 x easier than matte paint.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok guys...
so basically you are saying that the matte finish is really high maintenance... So let me ask a few silly questions...
For example, can I use automatic car washer or I need to wash it manually?

let's think on the the situation where I have an accident, I get crash from behind... does the shop can paint one part or has to repaint the whole car.
if is the second option I would assume that the insurance would pay for this right?

again sorry for the dumb questions

·
Registered
294 Posts
Thanks David. The cost depending on where you live could be $2500 plus or minus. It's not cheap if you're getting it done right ie pulling bumpers and removing lights and doing the jams. There is a lot to doing a wrap, but the maintenance for the matte look you want will be 1000 x easier than matte paint.
Good follow up, Milazzo. Now that you point out all the painstaking labor to make a wrap turn out right, I can easily see your $2500 estimate. If I was wanting the matte finish I still think the wrap would be the superior way to go over the matte finish paint. Maintenance, durability, ... If Torcator gets tired of the matte wrap after a couple years, can it be peeled off without damaging the Polar Silver gloss metallic or would he need a paint job? If no repaint needed, then it would be like getting 2 different cars in one!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If Torcator gets tired of the matte wrap after a couple years, can it be peeled off without damaging the Polar Silver gloss metallic or would he need a paint job? If no repaint needed, then it would be like getting 2 different cars in one!
ok you have a point here, but what about quality....
do you really think that this vinyl wrap would look as factory finish?

I mean... it's a mercedez, I would like to keep this quality

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
For example, can I use automatic car washer or I need to wash it manually?
Not only can you not bring it to an automatic car wash but you also have to wash it manually often. The matte finish stains easily if dirt or debris is left on it for extended periods of time. If there are bird droppings left on it for long periods it will stain much more easily than a regular finish. If there is rain or snow water left on it to dry it could damage the paint. It turns a daily driver into a garage queen, IMHO.

-Eric

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, so you just answered my question... no matte from factory at least..

so what do you think on wrapping the car... it will feel cheap right?

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
Ok, so you just answered my question... no matte from factory at least..

so what do you think on wrapping the car... it will feel cheap right?
Done well, a wrap will look great but it does have its limitations and you need to keep in mind a few things. In my limited experience, most people only wrap the exterior of their car. They don't wrap things like door jambs. That means every time you open your car door, your trunk, your hood, or the door to your gas cap you're going to see gloss paint. That means the "gap" will be a gloss paint unless you wrap it. Also, wraps don't last forever. At some point it will need to be removed and replaced. How badly do you want matte?

-Eric

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
wraps don't last forever. At some point it will need to be removed and replaced. How badly do you want matte?
-Eric
that's the question...
I have to to be honest... first I'm thinking on getting a lease for 36M, second I don't drive so much. but it's true that I'm lazzy.... so it's going to depend on the cost...
if the wrap cost me more than 2k and doesn't not last more than that it's a bad investment.

The reason I'd like matte is because seems different, not everybody has it.... but if will make me so many problems I don't think it will be worth it.
besides, this will be my first Mercedes, I don't want to be like a tuned car. I'm not 18 anymore jeje.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Also, I don't want to sound bad but I'm not the type of person who will spend a Saturday afternoon washing the car, I prefer to go to a automatic car wash, pay $12 once a week and get my car clean.

so I think the solution would be go with a regular metallic shiny color.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Torcator, based upon your use case, I recommend that you run away from the Magno Polar Silver. I understand the desire to have a less common color. I'm going with the Designo Patagonia Red for my CLA45 in the theory that very few cars will have the Designo colors. I believe that there are going to be MANY White, Polar Silver and Mountain Grey CLA's on the streets so maybe look at some of the other color options. A Mercedes in Black is always a winner.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Done well, a wrap will look great but it does have its limitations and you need to keep in mind a few things. In my limited experience, most people only wrap the exterior of their car. They don't wrap things like door jambs. That means every time you open your car door, your trunk, your hood, or the door to your gas cap you're going to see gloss paint. That means the "gap" will be a gloss paint unless you wrap it. Also, wraps don't last forever. At some point it will need to be removed and replaced. How badly do you want matte?

-Eric
Eric they do now wrap door jambs and gas tank area. That's why the cost of a wrap can be on the expensive side. The guy I use is well respected in this industry. Removal of bumpers, lights and anything that would reveal the stock paint gets removed so you would never be able to tell it was a wrap. I believe for mid sized car his wraps start at $3000 and it is to be removed after 3 years. The vinyl companies tell you between 3-5 years. Otherwise the adhesive used on the vinyl Can pull paint upon removal. To the OP if you're a low maintenance guy you definitely don't want a painted matte car. Vinyl would be easier for you to maintain absolutely.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
MB should add diamond white to the list as well...
My understanding is that you can order any model with any color paint which M-B uses on any other model. Of course you have to pay special order charges, etc.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts