Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any ideas for the flat finish on the dash and steering wheel?

Thinking about getting ahead of natural wear from 7 years of habitual use.

Reactions: Geo K

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Admire your confidence! (y)

·
Registered
11,118 Posts
gloves were my solution

have seen some overlays on ebay addressing this problem

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Cut your nails ;) hmm not sure there is much you can do. Not sure if MB just sells the plastic buttons to replace but I doubt it.

It's a bit late now but check out aerospace 303 plastic protectant. It works really well and doesn't leave a sticky or glossy residue.

·
Registered
11,118 Posts
aside from the overlay bandaid trick ...
when i took apart the steering wheel to mod the paddles i did notice those 2 button boxes are separate units and could be replaced
ebay does have pretty good shape steering wheels pulled from wrecks that can be parts donors
or duh silly me just swap the steering wheel and be done with it (but keep the airbag of course)

·
Registered
11,118 Posts
a matte clear tape from day 1 would be an option for a new car

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, traxem. This is the sort of damage I've never seen on Mercedes with which I was familiar before, so preventative measures were not a notion that ever crossed my mind. My mother had a 1970 280 SE for 14 years, and this never happened. I owned a 1986 300E that didn't deteriorate like this over 20 years.

My car doesn't have the kind of scratches under the exterior door handle that especially women with long nails end up with. Though my car is more than 7 years old, most people who see it for the first time think that it's new or close to new.

So this isn't an abuse & neglect issue but one of deteriorating paint in high-use areas. Seems like a new thing for MB.

·
Registered
11,118 Posts
Thats what you get for always hanging up on people and freezing your passengers
Do check out the button overlays on ebay ... would seem to be a uniform solution

·
Registered
384 Posts
Thanks, traxem. This is the sort of damage I've never seen on Mercedes with which I was familiar before, so preventative measures were not a notion that ever crossed my mind. My mother had a 1970 280 SE for 14 years, and this never happened. I owned a 1986 300E that didn't deteriorate like this over 20 years.

My car doesn't have the kind of scratches under the exterior door handle that especially women with long nails end up with. Though my car is more than 7 years old, most people who see it for the first time think that it's new or close to new.

So this isn't an abuse & neglect issue but one of deteriorating paint in high-use areas. Seems like a new thing for MB.
You can buy a new switch assembly for around $113 and DIY it. My 2014 doesn’t have any of your issues. But my wife’s 2017 GLS had a little chip on the left arrow button. Paint marker fixed it. I assume it’s because her nails were probably digging into it.

It just depends on how much it bothers you. If it were me, I would have ordered the parts already.

·
Registered
384 Posts
You can buy a new switch assembly for around $113 and DIY it. My 2014 doesn’t have any of your issues. But my wife’s 2017 GLS had a little chip on the left arrow button. Paint marker fixed it. I assume it’s because her nails were probably digging into it.

It just depends on how much it bothers you. If it were me, I would have ordered the parts already.
Actually looking at your steering wheel button, the white part isn’t affected. Just black matte paint pen it and you probably won’t even notice it unless you’re looking for it.

Now the HVAC controllers, that thing needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
11,118 Posts
... bummer ... could only find the silver ones ...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts