Mercedes CLA Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2016 CLA 250 2.0L 4matic
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was installing a turbo baffle delete when I noticed the plastic-y intake arm had a hole melted into it closest to the turbo. I know our turbos get quite spicy but surely it shouldn't melt the plastic from that distance—? The outside had that telltale cracking from burnt plastic, the inside seemed to have bubbled

Anyway, shouldn't be a huge issue since the hole is 'upwind' of the engine filter, just concerned about higher intake air temps. Any suggestions on how one might patch this up? I could also order a new OEM plastic cowling and install it. Orrrrr I can use this as an excuse to get an AEM cold air intake :cool:. Lemme know what you guys think.

Vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Car

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Gas Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Tire Tread Grey Rim

Wood Road surface Grey Style Asphalt

P.S. the turbo muffler delete is pretty awesome. Best $60 I've spent on the car so far (bought used off another forum user). The boost seems to wind up a lot quicker and at slightly lower rpm. Definitely worth for throttle response alone. Not really any difference in sound though— although I am running the stock airbox with a K&N filter.

·
Registered
411 Posts
i would say go aftermarket, as there would be no benefit of buying another oem part , the only downfall to going to aftermarket is moving the ecu ,but seems to be plenty of options for 117

·
Registered
1,669 Posts

·
Registered
12,506 Posts
Yup just replace
A few mates have gone thru this too

·
Registered
12,506 Posts
I was thinking of a thin metal plate heat shield thingie ... but if I can just get that damn short ram thing done then .....

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I just wrapped mine in that fancy gold tape. It doesn't show any signs of deterioration so I guess that's a plus.

·
Registered
12,506 Posts
Oh yeah gold tape ... back to the apollo days
But gotta admit the heat shield will look so cool!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I was installing a turbo baffle delete when I noticed the plastic-y intake arm had a hole melted into it closest to the turbo. I know our turbos get quite spicy but surely it shouldn't melt the plastic from that distance—? The outside had that telltale cracking from burnt plastic, the inside seemed to have bubbled

Anyway, shouldn't be a huge issue since the hole is 'upwind' of the engine filter, just concerned about higher intake air temps. Any suggestions on how one might patch this up? I could also order a new OEM plastic cowling and install it. Orrrrr I can use this as an excuse to get an AEM cold air intake :cool:. Lemme know what you guys think.

View attachment 67607
View attachment 67609
View attachment 67610
View attachment 67611

P.S. the turbo muffler delete is pretty awesome. Best $60 I've spent on the car so far (bought used off another forum user). The boost seems to wind up a lot quicker and at slightly lower rpm. Definitely worth for throttle response alone. Not really any difference in sound though— although I am running the stock airbox with a K&N filter.
I wouldn’t waste money for a whole new air box intake- no performance value , just for looks. Seal the hole or put some heat shield tape on the turbo side.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Oh yeah gold tape ... back to the apollo days
But gotta admit the heat shield will look so cool!!!
I wish I could get my hands on the Apollo stuff. My tape looked more like gold duct tape but it is holding up very well on the car. I will snap a pic when it decides to stop raining to show all the goodness that is gold duct tape. I mean heat tape.

·
Registered
2016 CLA 250 2.0L 4matic
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the suggestions y'all. Would it make sense to use a Kapton polyamide sheet with some high temp spray adhesive directly to the turbo heatshield?

https://www.amazon.com/Kapton-18-1F-12-Film-Mil-Adhesive/dp/B00PR06GX8/ref=mp_s_a_1_17?dchild=1&keywords=Kapton+Sheet&qid=1634236557&sr=8-17

It doesn't fix the hole in the intake but it says it's good for 280*C with good thermal insulation? I could also wrap the intake tube in some gold mylar tape since I've already removed it twice now (once for spark plugs, once for turbo muffler delete)

EDIT: I should clarify that the product listing says it's rated for 400*C. Some other listings have claimed 280-300*C as a good long term rated temperature. Surely the heatshield doesn't get THAT hot

·
Registered
12,506 Posts
I wish I could get my hands on the Apollo stuff. My tape looked more like gold duct tape but it is holding up very well on the car. I will snap a pic when it decides to stop raining to show all the goodness that is gold duct tape. I mean heat tape.
you mean cheap tape? :)

·
Registered
12,506 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions y'all. Would it make sense to use a Kapton polyamide sheet with some high temp spray adhesive directly to the turbo heatshield?

https://www.amazon.com/Kapton-18-1F-12-Film-Mil-Adhesive/dp/B00PR06GX8/ref=mp_s_a_1_17?dchild=1&keywords=Kapton+Sheet&qid=1634236557&sr=8-17

It doesn't fix the hole in the intake but it says it's good for 280*C with good thermal insulation? I could also wrap the intake tube in some gold mylar tape since I've already removed it twice now (once for spark plugs, once for turbo muffler delete)

EDIT: I should clarify that the product listing says it's rated for 400*C. Some other listings have claimed 280-300*C as a good long term rated temperature. Surely the heatshield doesn't get THAT hot
a turbo blanket might be a cute idea .........

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Reactions: jmc
1 - 13 of 13 Posts