Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the time to convert the Mercedes-Benz CLA MPG from the Euro Spec sheet. Here are the various gas mileages (MPG's) for the different models.

CLA 200 w/Automatic Transmission
  • City: 31 mpg
  • Highway: 52 mpg
CLA 250 w/Automatic Transmission
  • City: 28 mpg
  • Highway: 48mpg
CLA 180 w/Automatic Transmission
  • City: 31 mpg
  • Highway: 52 mpg
CLA 220 CDI w/Automatic Transmission
  • City: 42 mpg
  • Highway: 61 mpg
Hope this answers the questions!

* Please note, the above figures are based on the Euro specs and will likely end up different based on US standards.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wow, that is good news! Wanted to see the US highway MPG before considering an CLA. That is great MPG! Thanks for the info

·
Registered
381 Posts
Careful. Don't get too excited. The CLA250 will probably never get 48 MPH on the highway. At least by USA EPA test standards. The Europeans don't test their cars the same way as our EPA and also, the whole math conversion thing makes it slightly fuzzy too. Nobody will really know the USA EPA numbers until the USA EPA actually releases them.

If that 48 MPH were really true then you would be seeing the C-Class currently getting roughly 48 MPH on the highway, and that clearly isn't happening.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Careful. Don't get too exited. The CLA250 will probably never get 48 MPH on the highway. At least by USA EPA test standards. The Europeans don't test their cars the same way as our EPA and also, the whole math conversion thing gets a litle fuzzy too. Nobody will really know the USA EPA numbers until the USA EPA releases them.

If that 48 MPH were really true then you would be seeing the C-Class currently getting 48 MPH on the highway, and it clearly isn't.
I'll update the post to reflect that this is based on European numbers.

·
Registered
339 Posts
If that 48 MPH (sic) were really true then you would be seeing the C-Class currently getting roughly 48 MPH on the highway, and that clearly isn't happening.
No, it'll probably be rated at 38-42 MPG US on the highway. The C Class with M271 engine is nowhere near as fuel efficient as the M270 engine in the A, B and CLA.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Ehh My M271 with 200K miles will still put down 35-37 MPG. I did some quick conversions with the A45 video floating around. It claimed @ 34 MPG with 330hp/335 ft/lbs...

·
Registered
95 Posts
Ok,

I looking into the USA MPG...and as of now it's still ( to be announced) I'm thinking it will be around what the USA C250 gets, 22city/31hwy because of the USA EPA's But, the numbers on the C250 is low. My C250 gets about 24/26 city and 36/38 hwy.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Ok,

I looking into the USA MPG...and as of now it's still ( to be announced) I'm thinking it will be around what the USA C250 gets, 22city/31hwy because of the USA EPA's But, the numbers on the C250 is low. My C250 gets about 24/26 city and 36/38 hwy.
I hope not, otherwise I will check the GLK250. Totally different style but it is hard for me to give up 40mpg.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I came across this article on examiner.com by one of its car reviewers, Paulo Acoba - 2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA 250 offers impressive standard equipment for the money - Fresno Car Buying | Examiner.com

This is what he says about the CLA250's power and mileage, although he doesn't say where he got his information for the latter: "Here are the basic facts. Starting MSRP is $29,990. It’s powered by a 2.0 Liter turbocharged inline 4 capable of 208 HP and 258 lbs-ft of torque. 0-60 comes in 6.5 seconds and sips gas at 24 city and 36 highway."

·
Registered
293 Posts
Interesting, thx

I came across this article on examiner.com by one of its car reviewers, Paulo Acoba - 2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA 250 offers impressive standard equipment for the money - Fresno Car Buying | Examiner.com

This is what he says about the CLA250's power and mileage, although he doesn't say where he got his information for the latter: "Here are the basic facts. Starting MSRP is $29,990. It’s powered by a 2.0 Liter turbocharged inline 4 capable of 208 HP and 258 lbs-ft of torque. 0-60 comes in 6.5 seconds and sips gas at 24 city and 36 highway."

·
Registered
63 Posts
Those mileage numbers make sense to me. The main reason that companies like BMW and Mercedes are beginning to offer 4-cylinder turbocharged engines is to get their gas mileage up in advance of more stringent requirements that begin to go into effect in a few years. The beauty of the blown 4-banger in terms of fuel efficiency is that if it's driven gently without bringing up (much) turbo boost, it can get the mileage of a much less powerful engine. However, if you put the pedal to the metal, the thing will put out awesome torque in the lower ranges of the engine's RPM.

And, of course, the CLA is very aerodynamic, which is bound to help its highway mileage. So, putting those two changes together could quite reasonably yield 24/36 EPA figures. I guess we'll see.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Those mileage numbers make sense to me. The main reason that companies like BMW and Mercedes are beginning to offer 4-cylinder turbocharged engines is to get their gas mileage up in advance of more stringent requirements that begin to go into effect in a few years. The beauty of the blown 4-banger in terms of fuel efficiency is that if it's driven gently without bringing up (much) turbo boost, it can get the mileage of a much less powerful engine. However, if you put the pedal to the metal, the thing will put out awesome torque in the lower ranges of the engine's RPM.

And, of course, the CLA is very aerodynamic, which is bound to help its highway mileage. So, putting those two changes together could quite reasonably yield 24/36 EPA figures. I guess we'll see.
------------------------
from Mercedes Website for C class (c 250 is similar size as CLA engine)
Quote:--
The 2013 C350 sedan's fuel economy is EPA rated at 20 mpg in the city and 29 mpg on the highway.
...In contrast,
the turbocharged 4-cylinder C250 is rated at 22/31 mpg.
The C300 4MATIC gets a fuel economy bump from its new engine and start/stop function. It's now rated at 20/28 mpg.
-------
just my two cents worth, but i think i'm close lol :+)
and probably 26.5 mpg combined :)

http://www.autotrader.com/research/article/car-reviews/191569/2013-mercedes-benz-c-class-sedan-new-car-review.jsp

1 - 20 of 22 Posts