Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m thinking of givin this a stage one (218hp 350nm > 260hp 400nm)

is it safe to do so?

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Welcome :) to the CLA Forum Faheem,
A member who has remapped will comment soon.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Generally speaking, yes. It it safe but as always there's a risk with every modification you perform. Whether that's the nature of the modification itself or the risk of the person installing/performing it.

Stage 1 is just a remap of your ECU. If performed as a custom dyno tune you can generally expect very good results as you'll be able to see what the tuner is adjusting in regards to Air/Fuel ratios, boost pressure and more. You'll also be able to see the overall gains on a pre-tune dyno run and post-tune dyno run.
Experienced tuners know to keep these at optimal levels and can usually identify whether or not the engine is going to handle it without adverse long term effects.

Your other option for a tune equivalent to a 'Stage 1' tune is a Piggyback tunebox which is what I'm currently running. These connect to multiple different sensors in your engine bay, interrogate the data and then pass on the modified data to the ECU so that the OEM ECU believes it needs to be more aggressive in its power delivery. (That's a very ELI5 explanation but you get the idea).
The risk here is you're relying on the vendor who may be overseas and may or may not be easy to work with in terms of customer support/service and you also don't have definitive proof that your car is now performing better because of the lack of being able to show your results on a dyno etc. There's many demonstrations on youtube where a tunehouse has compared a stock car's dyno run followed by multiple runs using various different piggybacks with very controversial results.

My piggyback is from Superchips and fortunately I've been able to take my car to a dyno and confirm that it is indeed doing it's job with 161kw at the wheels.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I ran a piggy back for a while with no real problems on my sport plus. I randomly would get a Christmas tree but a cycle of the key would get rid of the issue. It really woke up the car though.

Reactions: Faheem

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ran a piggy back for a while with no real problems on my sport plus. I randomly would get a Christmas tree but a cycle of the key would get rid of the issue. It really woke up the car though.
Hi Paul, I’m gonna get rid of my cla 250 sport plus soon, I just need to know the value of the sport plus package, I can’t find the information anywhere, how much was the sport plus package? I know the standard sport package cost about £2000 more.
Thanks,

·
Registered
21 Posts
What do reckon of the Superchips tune? Pros/cons?
It's been good!
I just had it disconnected as I'm going to sell it once I've installed my stage 4 package.

Currently I'm running with no tune and the difference has been noticeable. I don't get pushed into my seat as hard anymore so I'm definitely missing some power.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Hi Paul, I’m gonna get rid of my cla 250 sport plus soon, I just need to know the value of the sport plus package, I can’t find the information anywhere, how much was the sport plus package? I know the standard sport package cost about £2000 more.
Thanks,
Clicky Clicky

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
,,,,just need to know the value of the sport plus package, I can’t find the information anywhere...
Faheem,
In the US the MB Dealer keeps that kind of information. Suspect that a UK dealer would be most happy to look it up, once they learn you are looking for a replacement MB! (y)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts