Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What i like to do is read consumer reviews about a car. For example I go to kbb to see the ratings and reviews of actual owners.
Kelley Blue Book (my last car)

First, I think actual owner reviews are more pertinent opposed to editor reviews. Also I like to view ratings as an aggregate, again because it paints a bigger picture. Also actual owners go in knowing about the car and are either satisfied or unsatisfied. For example, I already know that the CLA is going to be tight in the back and I don't care. An editor reviewer is always going to point to this as a flaw, but I see it as a compromise to keep coupe style body. I see it as getting a coupe style with the convenience of 4 doors.

Anyway my question is where are all the european consumer reviews? I googled it and can't find any site that has a bunch. Anyone know of some?

-Andrew

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
Doesn't a model typically have to go through a year of service before most consumer reporting agencies issue any statements on reliability, etc regarding that model? Consumer Reports, for example, may talk about typical reliability, etc. of Mercedes cars but they usually state there is "insufficient data" to provide ratings during the model's first year? The CLA hasn't been on the market for a year in Europe either.

-Eric

·
Registered
681 Posts
Your point is a good one, and the two CLA forums are the only places starting to give you that info. However, both professional and amateur reviews have their shortcomings. The pros always want to be invited back, so you have to read between the lines, and the amateur reports on the 'net are both "amateur" and subject to trolls. Getting a first year car is always subject to risk, and even more so early in the cycle.

fwiw, BMW has come out with a "half year update" the last two or three models of the 3 Series. I'm not familiar enough with Merc to know if they have done anything similar. (Another fwiw, 8-10 years ago, Merc sold a bunch or E-classes which they delivered without nav, but with the promise to retrofit the nav ASAP. When they found that they couldn't do it, they offered a cash settlement or a new car with nav to the owners. Then they wholesaled the VERY gently used cars to a few smart dealers. And a few very smart buyers (a modest bow here) got GREAT deals.

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
fwiw, BMW has come out with a "half year update" the last two or three models of the 3 Series. I'm not familiar enough with Merc to know if they have done anything similar. (Another fwiw, 8-10 years ago, Merc sold a bunch or E-classes which they delivered without nav, but with the promise to retrofit the nav ASAP. When they found that they couldn't do it, they offered a cash settlement or a new car with nav to the owners. Then they wholesaled the VERY gently used cars to a few smart dealers. And a few very smart buyers (a modest bow here) got GREAT deals.
I remember that. It was back in the late '90s/early '00s, right? My parents decided against an E-Class that year for just that reason. They bought a 5-Series instead because they didn't want to wait for COMAND to be integrated AFTER they bought their car.

-Eric

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your point is a good one, and the two CLA forums are the only places starting to give you that info. However, both professional and amateur reviews have their shortcomings. The pros always want to be invited back, so you have to read between the lines, and the amateur reports on the 'net are both "amateur" and subject to trolls. Getting a first year car is always subject to risk, and even more so early in the cycle.

I wish merc would offer something like this for the push start on the CLA. It's a travesty that they didn't put on there. That tech has been standard on the IS for almost a decade.

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
I'm not sure how keyless go ties into vracer's response -- MB has no intentions of offering keyless go on the CLA for the 2014 MY. MB fully intended to offer COMAND for the E-Class at the time. They just ran into technical problems and couldn't make it work. Nevertheless, I wouldn't expect it to be standard (yet) for the CLA. It's still an option even on the E-Class.

-Eric

·
Registered
681 Posts
Eric,
I 'think' it was '03'. (Plus or minus 5 years.)

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'm not sure how keyless go ties into vracer's response -- MB has no intentions of offering keyless go on the CLA for the 2014 MY. MB fully intended to offer COMAND for the E-Class at the time. They just ran into technical problems and couldn't make it work. Nevertheless, I wouldn't expect it to be standard (yet) for the CLA. It's still an option even on the E-Class.

-Eric
Mercedes Benz had production issues. That's why you wont see the keyless go in this year's model.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Mercedes CLA Forum mobile app

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
I agree.. that's why I'm leaning towards doing a 24 month lease so I can get the 2015 model year with keyless go entry
24 month leases are very expensive. Sweet spot is 36 months.
And if I had a car for 24 months, it would be highly unlikely for me to commit to a nearly identical car for three more years. I almost certainly would be trying something else.

·
Registered
178 Posts
24 month leases are very expensive. Sweet spot is 36 months.
And if I had a car for 24 months, it would be highly unlikely for me to commit to a nearly identical car for three more years. I almost certainly would be trying something else.
The only reason for me doing a 24mo lease is to get out in a year when the 2015 is out and has keyless go available.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Means that much to you? Dont have it on my eclass and means little to me. Son has it and he said eh, its ok... Youll likely be ready to move on in 2 years anyway....To the next big thing:mblogoblack:

The only reason for me doing a 24mo lease is to get out in a year when the 2015 is out and has keyless go available.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts