Mercedes CLA Forum banner

Mercedes CLA real world gas mileage?

10K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Mike T 
#1 ·
What do you think the real world fuel mileage will be on the CLA? Gas/Diesel?

#4 ·
Here is the thread with them listed: http://www.mercedescla.org/forum/5-...nz-cla-gas-mileage-chart-cla-mpg.html#post955

I took the time to convert the Mercedes-Benz CLA MPG from the Euro Spec sheet. Here are the various gas mileages (MPG's) for the different models.

CLA 200 w/Automatic Transmission
  • City: 31 mpg
  • Highway: 52 mpg

CLA 250 w/Automatic Transmission
  • City: 28 mpg
  • Highway: 48mpg

CLA 180 w/Automatic Transmission
  • City: 31 mpg
  • Highway: 52 mpg

CLA 220 CDI w/Automatic Transmission
  • City: 42 mpg
  • Highway: 61 mpg

Hope this answers the questions!

#5 ·
For the European CLA 250 having the same 1991cc engine going to North America and the 7-speed dual-clutch tranny, the brochure gives fuel consumption as 8.4 litres/100km for city driving, 4.8 for highway, and 6.2 combined, which equates to approximately 28/49/38 in US mpg.

I imagine that the European standards in testing for fuel consumption must be different than the US ones, because that certainly seems too high in comparison to other comparable vehicles. For example,the automatic tranny Audi A4, with a similar size and power 4-cylinder turbo engine is listed at 24/31/26 mpg.

Does anyone know what the difference is and what we can expect for the CLA's US EPA figures?

#8 ·
I just came across an article on the CLA250 that sets out the US mpg figures: 2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA 250 offers impressive standard equipment for the money

"Here are the basic facts. Starting MSRP is $29,990. It’s powered by a 1.8 Liter [whoops-2.0L] turbocharged inline 4 capable of 208 HP and 258 lbs-ft of torque. 0-60 comes in 6.5 seconds and sips gas at 24 city and 36 highway."

The author doesn't give the source of that and lots of other (accurate) information in the article. I wonder how credible it is...

#9 ·
Transport Canada lists the B 250 (which has been on sale here for a few months already) at 7.9 L/100 km in the city and 5.5 L/100 km on the highway. Add about 15% to that for the US EPA equivalent. I test drove a B 250 and used the on board computer to measure fuel consumption....the car had a few hundred km on it and it averaged 6.5 L/100 km in the city and some freeway with a quick blast to 160 km/h, and 5.2 L/100 km driven gently on a freeway driven at 90 km/h. Mercedes OBCs are usually a bit optimistic; however, I still think that the economy potential is good despite the very vigorous acceleration. The torque curve is like a vertical wall; it peaks at 1200-4000 RPM, it is just massive and puts most turbo diesels to shame.

The CLA is slightly more aerodynamic (mostly because of reduced frontal area) and so its FE should be a tad better on the highway.

#11 ·
Nope, litres are litres. Just divide the 7.9 and 5.5 by 3.785 and then divide that into 62.1, and US MPG magically appears.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.