Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was cleaning my engine bay yesterday and inspected the plastics. To my horror...

View attachment 60593

You can see the outline where the heat ate through the plastic which was very brittle. Vegas dry heat. RIP intake-inlet 2014-2018.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hmm any aftermarket parts? Warranty still active? My 2014, which had its warranty activate on 2015 (when it was first purchased) is now warranted until 2020.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm any aftermarket parts? Warranty still active? My 2014, which had its warranty activate on 2015 (when it was first purchased) is now warranted until 2020.
Only GFB+ and TK intercooler. I'm out of warranty though. My local delearship quoted me $139 for the intake-inlet duct (before labor). Fortunately it's easy to DIY. Found brand new OEM $63 @ ebay.

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
good grief! you have one hot turbo ... :cool:

i have been looking at a heat isolation plate too ... and still wonder why on earth would the intake scoop be put directly ahead of the engine bay hot spot?

the gulf/foreign markets used to have a short duct using the other intake scoop which makes more sense ... trying to cobble something together to give it a try

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
good grief! you have one hot turbo ... :cool:

i have been looking at a heat isolation plate too ... and still wonder why on earth would the intake scoop be put directly ahead of the engine bay hot spot?

the gulf/foreign markets used to have a short duct using the other intake scoop which makes more sense ... trying to cobble something together to give it a try
For a second there post-discovery I was like, time to upgrade to AEM or HG intake.!!! But reality sank in and the price does not justify the gains. Looks like I'm gonna treat the new intake duct with 303 every 3 months or so.. or maybe something like THIS?

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
For a second there post-discovery I was like, time to upgrade to AEM or HG intake.!!! But reality sank in and the price does not justify the gains. Looks like I'm gonna treat the new intake duct with 303 every 3 months or so.. or maybe something like THIS?
that is in contact with the plastic and using thermal reflectivity to lower surface temp ... better than nothing
though a piece of aluminum say 1/16 thick and mounted with an air gap may do wonders
or we can break some rules and shove a thin piece of asbestos in there?!

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that is in contact with the plastic and using thermal reflectivity to lower surface temp ... better than nothing
though a piece of aluminum say 1/16 thick and mounted with an air gap may do wonders
or we can break some rules and shove a thin piece of asbestos in there?!
Lol we don't want the Department of Labor questioning a disability claim for asbestosis /lung CA do we?

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
...I have snapped that runner off/on a few times to get at things ... so simple and toolless
Did you take any pictures which you can share with your bros & sis?

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
Oh i think capt picard already provide clear pictures
Literally push the tabs in and pull it off

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
For a view and comparison of your heat damage, if any.

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
thank goodness mine is only 25k mostly freeway runs so scoop is still intact
Knock on plastic!

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Welcome to the CLA Forum BJJ :)
If you took any pictures of this defective component...can you upload?

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Exactly like mine. Heat spot by the coolant line.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 37 Posts