Mercedes CLA Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Oh yes. The coolant line directly by the damaged plastic hovers around 202F, the turbo around 190F.

The plastic gets heat soaked at around 222F.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Weird. You'd think MB wouldn't make a mistake like that. Why not use the intake opening directly in front of the intake box?

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
... working on it ... !!! that was supposed to be mod#1 but the rear emblems won that round ...

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
... hey ... pssst ... capt picard ... whats the emissivity setting(s) on that ir thermo? :rolleyes:
we dont have smart tricorders yet so have to do it the old fashion way, heh!

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
... hey ... pssst ... capt picard ... whats the emissivity setting(s) on that ir thermo? :rolleyes:
we dont have smart tricorders yet so have to do it the old fashion way, heh!
It's on a fixed 12:1 distance to spot ratio running on 21st century class 2 laser infrared technology. Pretty ancient.

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
It's on a fixed 12:1 distance to spot ratio running on 21st century class 2 laser infrared technology. Pretty ancient.

Ok seriously (uh huh stop snickering)
I was wondering if the emissivity correction was accounted for when aiming at the semi smooth (silver) metal vs the somewhat featured (black) plastic, as that influences the readings
Cuz I had to make some measurements past 1200C recently and depending on the emis settings and interrogation distances my error bars were significant like 100C range
And this circles back to the data shown being only in the 100C range cuz that thermoplastic is supposedly rated to 150C continuous and 200C intermittent (about 302 and 392F)
Bottom line I expected higher observed thermals

·
Registered
2015 CLA 250 4matic
17 Posts
Yup. Same issue. I replaced mine a couple weeks ago. Made a post about it. Same exact spot.

·
Registered
248 Posts
The gains even without a tune were definitely noticeable. It pulls harder for sure.
I've enjoyed it a lot so far :).
If I can ask BJ, where did you get it from in Aus?

·
Registered
17 Posts
If I can ask BJ, where did you get it from in Aus?
Bought it from a seller on ebay back in May.
I had a quick look and I can't find any more of the K&N intakes on there.
There's generally 2 differently styled intakes. The first being the plastic intakes which take air from both front vents; and the alloy intakes which take air from vent directly infront of the airbox.

Alloy single vent intakes:
Armaspeed: Mercedes Benz W176 A250 / C117 CLA250 M270 Alloy Cold Air Intake - ARMASPEED
MST: Mercedes-Benz A250/CLA250/GLA250 AMG Cold Air Intake

Plastic or Carbon Fibre dual vent intakes:
Armaspeed: Mercedes Benz W176 A250 /C117 CLA 250 Carbon Fiber Cold Air Intake - ARMA SPEED
HG Motorsports: N/A. Seems to be discontinued / not produced anymore
K&N: Ebay or 57S-6200 K&N Performance Air Intake System
AEM: Ebay or https://www.aemintakes.com/cold-air-intakes/mercedes-benz/cla250/2.0l-l4-gas/2014

Some notes:
The K&N and AEM were developed collaboratively with the key differences being uses a dry filter and has an extra lip to attach to the chassis which helps keep the airbox attached to that 2nd vent. The K&N that I have installed desperately needs that as it doesn't securely fit otherwise.

·
Registered
17 Posts
While we're on the subject of intakes, has anyone seen an upgrade for this particular part of the intake? You can see that this is a restriction to the airflow due to the reduction in diameter here:

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
More airflow other than what an aftermarket intake can give already requires remapping of the ECU to maximize gains. I guess the cost of R&D outweighs the gains. Makes more sense to just upgrade the ECU and the turbo, which are already available.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Bought it from a seller on ebay back in May.
I had a quick look and I can't find any more of the K&N intakes on there.
There's generally 2 differently styled intakes. The first being the plastic intakes which take air from both front vents; and the alloy intakes which take air from vent directly infront of the airbox.

Alloy single vent intakes:
Armaspeed: Mercedes Benz W176 A250 / C117 CLA250 M270 Alloy Cold Air Intake - ARMASPEED
MST: Mercedes-Benz A250/CLA250/GLA250 AMG Cold Air Intake

Plastic or Carbon Fibre dual vent intakes:
Armaspeed: Mercedes Benz W176 A250 /C117 CLA 250 Carbon Fiber Cold Air Intake - ARMA SPEED
HG Motorsports: N/A. Seems to be discontinued / not produced anymore
K&N: Ebay or 57S-6200 K&N Performance Air Intake System
AEM: Ebay or 2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA250 2.0L L4 Gas Air Intake

Some notes:
The K&N and AEM were developed collaboratively with the key differences being uses a dry filter and has an extra lip to attach to the chassis which helps keep the airbox attached to that 2nd vent. The K&N that I have installed desperately needs that as it doesn't securely fit otherwise.
Great, thank you for the Info mate, I'll take a look at the AEM option.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
Oh

Speaking of CAIs

MST makes one but looks kinda ghetto

21 - 37 of 37 Posts