Mercedes CLA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I haven’t been on the forum for a while due to some tough situations. But I’m back to annoy everyone especially jmc haha

But my summer contisport 5p started to run out the car started to slide even in the rain. So just got fitted w the Michelin a/s 3plus yesterday.

There is a significant difference in terms of ride quality. They are definitely not as harsh. I was so used to the harshness and it felt like it made me feel very connected to the road that I am actually slightly disappointed that it’s not as harsh lol but I will get used to that pretty quick I’m sure so not really a complaint.

In terms of grip I definitely feel there is a big difference especially in the cold weather. Haven’t snow tested but in 30/40 degree weather they are way grippier. I used to get a thud while making sharp turns in cold weather which is also gone. At first I thought there’s something from w the diff or suspension but it turns out it definitely was the tire compound of summer tires which would just get too stiff.

Other updates :
The Remus catback - has possibly gotten slightly louder and sounds great after a few thousand miles.
The rebellion v1s2 - works beautifully and the tires definitely help. A good set of tires makes such a huge difference. As far as mileage I’ve been driving pretty hard recently and getting around 24 combined.

I’ll keep updating :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
So I haven’t been on the forum for a while due to some tough situations. But I’m back to annoy everyone especially jmc haha

But my summer contisport 5p started to run out the car started to slide even in the rain. So just got fitted w the Michelin a/s 3plus yesterday.

There is a significant difference in terms of ride quality. They are definitely not as harsh. I was so used to the harshness and it felt like it made me feel very connected to the road that I am actually slightly disappointed that it’s not as harsh lol but I will get used to that pretty quick I’m sure so not really a complaint.

In terms of grip I definitely feel there is a big difference especially in the cold weather. Haven’t snow tested but in 30/40 degree weather they are way grippier. I used to get a thud while making sharp turns in cold weather which is also gone. At first I thought there’s something from w the diff or suspension but it turns out it definitely was the tire compound of summer tires which would just get too stiff.

Other updates :
The Remus catback - has possibly gotten slightly louder and sounds great after a few thousand miles.
The rebellion v1s2 - works beautifully and the tires definitely help. A good set of tires makes such a huge difference. As far as mileage I’ve been driving pretty hard recently and getting around 24 combined.

I’ll keep updating :)

Having my baby installed with these as well. Damaged my harsh potenzas beyond repair.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Having my baby installed with these as well. Damaged my harsh potenzas beyond repair.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk
They r excellent for all weather. Noticed a significant grip improvement in 40 degree weather over the contisport

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah the 5Ps are ... well 5Ps
These new gen AS3+ are quite the hot item huh?
Yeah they are pretty good my man drove in pretty crazy rain yesterday here in Pennsylvania/nj and the grip was phenomenal coming from the 5p.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Had mine installed yesterday and yup it's night and day! First thing I noticed is the stopping power. Almost feels like upgrading your brakes. But it's the reduced traction of my old Potenzas after all. Softer side walls = much more quiet ride and no more growling on low speeds.

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
Now all you happy AS3+ folks ... after scrubbing them in ... hope you can post observations on turn in and overall cornering compared to our rough & tough RFTs

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Now all you happy AS3+ folks ... after scrubbing them in ... hope you can post observations on turn in and overall cornering compared to our rough & tough RFTs
Hahaha sure will do so far cornering feels just as good actually better in the heavy rain but they haven’t really been broken in. How long is an average tire breakin period ?

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For our 45 folks ... just a few race starts from a red light on an onramp and a couple slalom runs while looking for costco parking

or the “accelerated break in” ... get it get it?!
Hahahaha my man I stay away from race start. That thing feels like the whole car is about to break when it lifts off at 4000rpm. I’ve tried it 2/3 times. 2 were fails mainly because once it lifted off I got so scared of the harsh sound that I let go off the accelerator and the car jerks like insane to a stop lol
Never again !!

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I have been driving on the AS 3+ for the past 3 months. It handles very confidently, through all conditions, even in light snow/slush. Hydroplaning control is much better than the Pirelli Cinturato P7 RFT I had previously. Braking is about the same. Cornering is maybe slightly better.

But I have to say it looks much better than the P7s.

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
Hahahaha my man I stay away from race start. That thing feels like the whole car is about to break when it lifts off at 4000rpm. I’ve tried it 2/3 times. 2 were fails mainly because once it lifted off I got so scared of the harsh sound that I let go off the accelerator and the car jerks like insane to a stop lol
Never again !!
Cluck cluck cluck .....

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
I have been driving on the AS 3+ for the past 3 months. It handles very confidently, through all conditions, even in light snow/slush. Hydroplaning control is much better than the Pirelli Cinturato P7 RFT I had previously. Braking is about the same. Cornering is maybe slightly better.

But I have to say it looks much better than the P7s.
Great info to know!

Dont suppose anyone weighed the bare tires?

Dudes at tire shops give me the funny eye when I walk in with a scale ...

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Great info to know!

Dont suppose anyone weighed the bare tires?

Dudes at tire shops give me the funny eye when I walk in with a scale ...
Well, my gas consumption after putting onnthe AS 3+ didn't change much. It may be actually be better with the AS 3+. So I guess it should not weigh significantly more than the Cinturatos.

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
Well, my gas consumption after putting onnthe AS 3+ didn't change much. It may be actually be better with the AS 3+. So I guess it should not weigh significantly more than the Cinturatos.
Oh I am just concerned with suspension response and ball joint longevity ... a couple pounds here and there at the corners can make a difference.
The rolling mass at the tire region may not affect gas mileage much unless one does hard starts often. But the tread compound and design can. The AS3+ with its newer technologies should be equal or better in the mpg dept.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Oh I am just concerned with suspension response and ball joint longevity ... a couple pounds here and there at the corners can make a difference.
The rolling mass at the tire region may not affect gas mileage much unless one does hard starts often. But the tread compound and design can. The AS3+ with its newer technologies should be equal or better in the mpg dept.
Well, handling is as good or better than the Cinturatos. When I am driving it a bit hard through a slightly rounding corner on a freeway , the tires never appear to want to loose contact or screech. It just hangs on, and the car corners fairly flat.

I really like the AS 3+. When I first got them, they were horrible with road noise, that I thought I got some lemons. But after 2 weeks of driving , they quietened down a lot and now totally enjoy them.

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
Well, handling is as good or better than the Cinturatos. When I am driving it a bit hard through a slightly rounding corner on a freeway , the tires never appear to want to loose contact or screech. It just hangs on, and the car corners fairly flat.

I really like the AS 3+. When I first got them, they were horrible with road noise, that I thought I got some lemons. But after 2 weeks of driving , they quietened down a lot and now totally enjoy them.
This thread is quite the advertisement for AS tires against summers ...

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
This thread is quite the advertisement for AS tires against summers ...
Well, not really...

I would not use the A/S 3+ in a tropical country like Singapore or hot dry place like Dubai. With that I would go for the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S.

Summer tires would not work well in Vancouver, BC, for 50% of the year. Tires start gradually losing their handling grip when temps drop below 20C. And Vancouver, for half of the year is 20C or less and very wet. Hence, rather than spending money on a dedicated summer for summer, and then winter tires for winter, and all seasons for the rest of the year, I just opted out to get a really good all seasons tire.

If I live in San Diego, without a blink of the eye, I would buy the Pilot 4S for my CLA 250.

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
Oh let me rephrase ... AS tires against OEM summers ...
It does get cold in SD ... some mornings its 40F or lower and the RE050A tread doesnt like it
I am still harping on the newest ContiECSports for my upcoming change ... very light 20lbs ... but if a lightweight and sticky AS option shows up in the next year I can check that out as an option

1 - 20 of 71 Posts