Mercedes CLA Forum banner
41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Yeah, I just had new Michelins put on my dad's Chrysler 300, and they were all inflated to 42 or 43.

The tire manufacturer wants higher inflation so you feel it's a luxurious ride, and the car manufacturer aims for a balance between ride and handling.
Man they accomplish the opposite. All the overinflation they do renders the already stiffed-suspension CLA like a pimped-out ricer lowered excessively negative-cambered Civic that bounces up and down even at the most minuscule road imperfection.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
No one touches my tire valves nor lug bolts (or lug nuts) ... not since my first car ... no way jose
The tire valves maneuver usually ends up with finger nail or glove debris scratches on the rim paint (blue tape in case they forget)
And over torque will stretch the bolt (or stud) to its elastic limit and they just snap off after thermal cycling with time (like duh)
Then uneven over torque can also lead to hub surface warp which means permanent vibrations
So there's a torque wrench in my trunk just in case
etc etc etc

I typically use another car to take new tires and existing rims to the tire house ... gives me time to wash/inspect/document

As for the ridiculous over inflation at just about every joint I hear about ... wonder if it's just laziness, carelessness, or god forbid
there's an actual reason? like force seating the bead? tire carcass stress test? their compressor is bigger and better? geewhiz
Well they follow the air pressure specs in their computers which is hardly updated. Dealerships follow the maximum load air pressure of 39psi (for the CLA), which is ridiculous. Where the heck did they get the idea that owners will pick up their car with 4 full grown adults accompanying them, with overgrown items to load the trunk?

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
Well they follow the air pressure specs in their computers which is hardly updated. Dealerships follow the maximum load air pressure of 39psi (for the CLA), which is ridiculous. Where the heck did they get the idea that owners will pick up their car with 4 full grown adults accompanying them, with overgrown items to load the trunk?
... and traveling at the car’s speed limit ...
(the little tidbit about higher inflation for >120mph travels)

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
I like the ride, but the tires are really noisy, especially on the freeway. Is this part of the break in or are they just very noisy?

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Saturday bump. Hoping for an answer to my post above. Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
I don't recall mine being noisier than either the A/S 3s or the OEM Bridgestones.

Reactions: Rapidfirerob

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
What tires did you have prior?
OEM Pirelli P Zero Nero. I had some noise before replacing them, but not as loud as currently. I'm going to take the car in for
an alignment and have the wheel bearings checked. I read some people's tire noise quieted over time, but others said it never
got quieter. a number of people on forums complain about the noise. Others say theirs are quiet. I don't think I can live with
the noise if there is no solution.

Reactions: DrOzCLA

·
Registered
2021 AMG CLA 45 S Digital White w/Performance Package
356 Posts
OEM Pirelli P Zero Nero. I had some noise before replacing them, but not as loud as currently. I'm going to take the car in for
an alignment and have the wheel bearings checked. I read some people's tire noise quieted over time, but others said it never
got quieter. a number of people on forums complain about the noise. Others say theirs are quiet. I don't think I can live with
the noise if there is no solution.
It does seem such a subjective thing, I have convinced myself that the Michelin's are a lot less noisy than my original P-Zero's, however, after I put the new set of Pilot Sport 4S on, when it went in for a service at the MB dealership I asked them to check if there was a vibration in the steering over 100kmh. The service report came back that there was no vibration (I can still feel it...) however they noted on the report that there seemed to be excessive road noise from the tires.... I don't know what to think. Maybe we should all have a CLA love-in and drive each others vehicles to see which tires really are more comfortable/less noisy/more grippy.

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
Most phones can have a rta app ... which i use to document cabin noise levels at marked frequency points ... very handy for comparing car to car cabin noises ... and tire noises
Might make things a little more quantitative ... though Rob will need to find a cla with pzeros for a baseline?
All that said ... i am surprised the new tires sing??

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Most phones can have a rta app ... which i use to document cabin noise levels at marked frequency points ... very handy for comparing car to car cabin noises ... and tire noises
Might make things a little more quantitative ... though Rob will need to find a cla with pzeros for a baseline?
All that said ... i am surprised the new tires sing??
I was surprised myself. Lots of folks on the net say the same thing, but, as I said, others have no noise. I'm talking various auto makes, now just Mercedes vehicles. I'm going to see if
there is an answer before I look into other tires. I understand Michelin has a 30 day warranty, where they will exchange the tires if not satisfied, plus Costco is really good about
taking items back. I would rather keep the tires certainly.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
It's not unheard of to get a bad tire. Maybe check for external signs like bubbles?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Anyone tested the longevity of ps4s yet on a CLA?

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
The Michelin PS4 S tire is rated for 30,000miles, which I believe is achievable if one were to maintain regular tire rotation, every 6000 miles.

·
Registered
2021 AMG CLA 45 S Digital White w/Performance Package
356 Posts
I'll let you know Brian, I changed over last December, so 6 months in with 2 rotations, balance and alignments so far, done about 10,000kms on them in that 6 months (about 6200 miles). So far so good, little obvious wear and no aberrations thus far (and I'm no Sunday pedestrian driver either...).

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Just got an alignment, which I needed, in any case. The mechanic road tested the car on the freeway and did say the tires are noisy. He also said I need to have a rotor replaced,
as it shakes a bit at 65-70 MPH, which I haven't noticed, maybe because I don't do much breaking at that speed. I'm going to research other tires now, and probably exchange
the A/S 3+ tires for something else, very possibly Pilot PS2. It is through Costco, once again. Has to be Michelins as that is the warranty. PS2 or Sport 4S looks like it.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I'll let you know Brian, I changed over last December, so 6 months in with 2 rotations, balance and alignments so far, done about 10,000kms on them in that 6 months (about 6200 miles). So far so good, little obvious wear and no aberrations thus far (and I'm no Sunday pedestrian driver either...).
Awesome! Keep me updated! I only have a few more months depending on how I drive before I HAVE to replace them. I heard bridgestone or bf goodrich (can't remember) all season were good too, but A/S 3+ seems promising. However, I live in Texas, so I could possibly live with ps4s if the tire wear isn't too much of a difference.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Just got an alignment, which I needed, in any case. The mechanic road tested the car on the freeway and did say the tires are noisy. He also said I need to have a rotor replaced,
as it shakes a bit at 65-70 MPH, which I haven't noticed, maybe because I don't do much breaking at that speed. I'm going to research other tires now, and probably exchange
the A/S 3+ tires for something else, maybe Bridgestones. It is through Costco, once again. The dealer will have have to replace the rotor under warranty. Any suggestions on
tires? 18" wheels.
Depends if you drive conservatively or free-spirited haha. I have the normal A/S 3's (non-plus), and they get the job done. I just spin like crazy all the time, since mine is FWD. I can't imagine having more than 280 torque to the front wheels.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Has to be either Pilot PS2 or Sport 4S. Costco guy says the PS2 is quieter. What do you guys think, comparing these two tires? Road noise, comfort, handling, longevity?

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
I know it sounds like blasphemy, but has anyone tried a grand touring tire on this car?

Seems to me that the low profile is more of a problem than whether they're R/F or not. Maybe a bigger Michelin would do wonders if if it clears the fenders. (Or gibsons.)

41 - 60 of 71 Posts