Mercedes CLA Forum banner

Might consider switching to Porsche...

9K views 30 replies 7 participants last post by  Superjak95 
#1 ·
Starting to get frustrated with the fact that at the moment Mercedes Canada is so unorganized. They are beginning production for Canada of the CLA 45 AMG next month yet there isn't any official pricing, options or even specifications details for the Canadian version. So therefore I am considering to canceling my order and possibly switching to get Porsche Cayman or Boxster.

#2 ·
You are expecting way too much. They know a lot more than they're telling you. It just isn't ready for final release yet. By the time the car is in showrooms all of your questions should be answered. What you're experiencing isn't atypical for any new model before it is actually in showrooms.

-Eric

#3 ·
The issue is I have the car ordered and I'd rather have time to choose the options etc with their actual prices etc. Plus the fact that I'm going to Poland soon is also making inpatient so I won't be in town to choose the options etc. So I'd rather have everything done before I leave so that the car actually arrives in November like it's supposed to instead of finalizing the order when i come back from Poland which would be in September.

#4 ·
I wouldn't say Mercedes is unorganized they are doing everything just as they plan you can count on that. I wouldn't worry man they will let you know soon.

Go buy a Porsche if you are that trigger happy I guess. But your gonna hate yourself Winter driving that in Edmonton.

#5 ·
Well if they don't give me information by the 20th at least then I'll probably go Porsche for sure getting either the Cayman, Boxster or a used Panamera. Might even consider a Bmw M3 if they are willing to lower the price of it to the 60 thousands only issue with that is the M3 has horrible fuel economy. Might even consider a Lexus IS350 if I dont choose Porsche. It all matters just on the time my dealer gives me info I suppose.

#7 ·
On the AMG website the fuel economy is better then my GTI. From what I remember it was 8.8 L/100km for city and 5.8 highway. Doubt its going to be different for Canada but you never know.

#8 ·
What new Porsche can you buy for $55,000 ? Base Boxster, may be very low end Cayman.
The option prices make me laugh . This current issue of Road & Track pitched a Jaguar F-Type against a Boxster S.
The Boxster S has a base price of $61,850. The as tested price - a humble $101,070. Almost $40,000 of options.
Ok, ok., I am a huge Porsche fan. Zuffenhausen graced my garage over the years with:
1974 911 Targa
1976 930 Turbo
1983 944
1987 911 SC
1991 944S4
2002 Boxster S and...
I am actively looking for a very low miles 1993-95 six speed 928GTS

But the Cayman or Boxster are two seaters. Great cars but they are completely different from the CLA45 which I think will set a new standard
against which all the new European and existing Japanese front drive cars will be judged.

BTW, you are right about the M3. My 5 year old soon to be replaced ( by M4 ) E90 sucks gas like you wouldn't believe but oh does it go fast and handles !

#9 ·
The CLA 45 AMG I'd probably be getting near fully loaded so about 61k. Plus the Porsche If I did end up with getting one the only thing Id want in it really is the Automatic gearbox and the Bose surround sound lol so it'd cost about the same. Would probably lean more to the Cayman though thanks to the winter. Also having a two seater doesn't bother me at all since it'd be only me in the car at least 90% of the time. As for the M3 ya I checked the fuel economy on it right now and after seeing it I automatically went off their website lol. But ya I'll probably end up getting a Porsche or Lexus IS350 if I dont get the options list etc from Mercedes by at least July 20th or sometime near there.

#12 ·
Well I decided to stick with the Mercedes CLA 45 AMG. Main reasons for it is that the Porsche has an interest rate of 8%.. Bmw 435I isn't at sexy and fuel efficient as the CLA 45 AMG. Plus I just love the AMGs look and everything about it so far, and its always been a dream to own a AMG. It might be extremely stressful to finalize the order, but I'm willing to put up with it because i love AMGS and Mercedes.

#13 ·
I think that you made the right choice. I have driven several entry level Porsche's and... (puts flame retardant suit on...) you do not get a lot of bang for your buck.

In order to get the same level of fit, finish, and go out of the boys at Porsche in Stuttgart, you are well over $85,000. The point in the Porsche line that I really started to "get" the Porsche draw was the 911 Carrera S and 4S. That is point where I could really sit in one, and understand why they were so expensive. The Boxsters that we had for sale at the dealership sat and sat until the price was so low that you couldn't not buy one. Somewhat aged performance if you know what I mean.... They were light and nimble, but I couldn't help but feel self conscious driving it around, knowing that there were Maximas on the road next to me that had more horse powers.

#14 ·
Fit and finish within the same model of car has nothing to do with list of options you've selected. A Boxster with no options isn't a lower quality product than a loaded Boxster with a 6 figure price tag. And, for what it's worth, to those who actually care about performance the no-frills car is arguably the better car because it isn't laden with the extra weight options typically bring.

-Eric

#15 ·
The Boxsters that we had for sale at the dealership sat and sat until the price was so low that you couldn't not buy one. Somewhat aged performance if you know what I mean.... They were light and nimble, but I couldn't help but feel self conscious driving it around, knowing that there were Maximas on the road next to me that had more horse powers.
Porsche's horse power number may not be overwhelming, but because of light weight, their acceleration is astounding. I almost want to believe Porsche factory deliberately understates their output
to cut down on potential insurance rate. The price of the Cayman S and Boxster S fully loaded, however, is right on the tail of the base Carrera and that is insane.

The CLA45's pair of rear doors give young parents who think they have to give up their super sports car a new lease on life...

When I had my first, I had to switch from a 911 to a Volvo 740 Turbo Wagon with a four speed and push-button Overdrive.

Today, I would just get a CLA45 or wait for the CLA45 wagon.

#20 ·
Yes, very true.
But when he tells our mutual friends in the bar that his car has 500 horse and they then ask what mine has and I tell them 335 but ask him what happens when we are out in the mountains, it is hilarious to see him squirm when he has to admit he can't keep up to me, lol.
They don't care the reason why they just wonder why his 500 hp car can't catch me. :)

#21 ·
btw, to the OP I think if I was an 18 yr. old shopping in this price bracket I would look real hard at a Cayman S.

I'm going to trade my 911 for an AMG but crap I'm 53 years old with a wife who doesn't want to drive a stick.
Young stud here should get a Porsche pussy magnet, lol.

#22 ·
I'd consider it but I'm aiming for a low to mid 60s price range at max, plus with the 8% interest its not really worth it In my opinion. Added on I'm just a bit worried about the winter driving experience I'd have in a Porsche. Also I don't drive stick so that makes the Porsche even more expensive haha. Although the guy at the Porsche dealership said he'd go down with the price; I doubt he'd go 8k down.

#25 ·
I'm going to trade my 911 for an AMG but crap I'm 53 years old with a wife who doesn't want to drive a stick.
Young stud here should get a Porsche pussy magnet, lol.
I taught my wife how to drive a stick so she wouldn't tell me I bought the car just for me.

I used to only have stick shift cars so that my then teenage son couldn't take one of my pride and joys for a ride while I am asleep.

Then came this dual clutch pedal shift invention to mess up my life...

#26 ·
When I met my wife she drove a car with a stick...by choice. Ironically, she has no interest in cars whatsoever...but, at least, she can't complain about not being able to drive it! All of our cars, with the exception of her Pilot, have manual transmissions.

-Eric

#30 ·
I got a call from the dealer today saying they have allocation to get a production slot in Sept and delivery in November of the 45 (instead of Jan/Feb quoted before). They however still don't have official pricing out and want me to commit to the purchase/production before pricing.... REALLY????

I dunno, maybe people have too much money in Vancouver or something. I work hard for mine and may get my deposit back if the prices are too much on the AMG.

#31 ·
Well I put down a deposit on my 45 AMG back in the beginning of June and haven't received any information about any allocations etc. I also think that it's stupid that they're leaving all the pricing and options etc until the very last second. Added on I wonder if I should call asking if I have a allocation to get a production spot or if they're just hoping for the best. If they're hoping for the best then I might get pissed off again lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.