Mercedes CLA Forum banner

101 - 120 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
this is true. us "45" guys are still awaiting aftermarket products for our cars..:smile_popcorn:
In a way it maybe that the stock 45 is so out there already people don't feel it is justified to throw a ton of money on it for very incremental gains.

Anything over $500, even a pickyback that adds 40 hp, what do you really gain over what the 355 hp you already have for daily drive, the thought that some potential warranty work might be denied?

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Pete, as you can tell I am not a full on fan of modding my ride from head to toe, but I agree Sean is out of the line, and his continued behavior is uncalled for. This is from someone, and many others who have supported him fully during his crash and following endeavors. The racial undertone was over the top since it was not general but direct and personal.

Most vendors do not take the time and effort like Mishimoto in this thread to communicate with forum members at such a depth, and with openness and honesty. The things we learned here alone are worth more than what they charge for this mod.

We understand vendors often are reserved when discussing their product development, it makes the OP's willingness to share its processes much more refreshing. It is precisely this kind of vendors we need to support, if the enthusiasts ever hope to satisfy their endless need for improvement or mere curiosity.

Sean, I don't think you did so with ill intent, and am happy for your yet another great ride. But chill it buddy.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Intakes rarely make power. They manufacture radiators, catch cans, silicone hoses. Who's their head of engineering Larry the cable Guy?
Alright
stop
fabricate and listen
Larry is back with his brand new invention
Something grabs a hold of me tightly
Sell products without real world testing daily and nightly
Will I ever stop
I don't now
Not if you got money to blow
To the extreme I turn a Benz into a suburu
I can turn Louis Vuitton into Fubu too
Deadly, when you need repairs under warranty
At a private lounge meeting, your car should be quarantined.
Love it or leave it
We make every intake the same way
One prototype then call it a day
If there is a problem
We created it
We posted this and guynamedsean hates it

Rice, rice baby
Under engineered rice, rice baby
Don't know what your issue is but you seem to have trouble expressing yourself as an adult. If you don't like something then either move on or offer a constructive statement to support your opinion and feel free to engage in an adult conversation. No idea why you feel the need to make juvenile attacks on people. It has no place here so please cut it out.

-Eric

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Anything over $500, even a pickyback that adds 40 hp, what do you really gain over what the 355 hp you already have for daily drive, the thought that some potential warranty work might be denied?
If you're asking whether you can feel 40hp+ on 355hp, the answer is yes. I've driven in a car with an intake and, surprisingly, it is noticeable. Like I said in an earlier post, once you look at the stock piece against an aftermarket one (like the Mishimoto) it will all make sense. The opening in the stock piece is oddly constricted.

If you're asking whether it's worth the warranty risk, that's a question each person will have to answer individually.

-Eric

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
If you're asking whether you can feel 40hp+ on 355hp, the answer is yes. I've driven in a car with an intake and, surprisingly, it is noticeable. Like I said in an earlier post, once you look at the stock piece against an aftermarket one (like the Mishimoto) it will all make sense. The opening in the stock piece is oddly constricted.

If you're asking whether it's worth the warranty risk, that's a question each person will have to answer individually.

-Eric
Eric,

I asked you that intake made differences in what ways? Can you elaborate?

I was merely responding to peej's wondering why there has not been as many mods for the 45, compared to say the CLA250.

The 45 is already over the top out of the gate for many, hence the speculation.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Can you please delete his rap post? I don't want to see or be associated with comments like "rice, rice baby."

Don't know what your issue is but you seem to have trouble expressing yourself as an adult. If you don't like something then either move on or offer a constructive statement to support your opinion and feel free to engage in an adult conversation. No idea why you feel the need to make juvenile attacks on people. It has no place here so please cut it out.

-Eric

·
Registered
130 Posts
I challenge any of you to a rap battle.

Seriously, my disdain mostly comes from the fact that the 45 is great car!
My personal opinion is that it's foolish to do these types of modifications on a car that does 0-60 in just over 4 seconds and has full support from your dealer. Having sampled multiple AMG products this year, I can tell you the 45 is a great product! I will probably buy another one to share garage space with my 507 coupe. I can also tell you the 45 is fast enough. My new car can do the deed in 3.7 but honestly 4.2 is fast enough.
In my opinion I would never buy a used 45 that had been modded, so I think it's foolish to mod these cars. Also I get so sick of seeing the same basic design on every aftermarket intake: silicone hose connected to cone filter, inside of metal heat shield box. Come on man. Mercedes did 100s of thousands of miles of real world testing in the desert and the frozen tundra. Also, why would you care about 18 hp right before redline????????????????????????????????

Do you care about dyno bragging rights or everyday drive ability? Obviously the car is tuned for drivability. Did anyone notice that there was less power at 3k rpm?

With all that said, I realize these are just my opinions. I was being a dick and using the forum to entertain myself. Okay, I was trolling. I'm sorry.

I would like to apologize to mishimoto and anyone else that was offended.

You guys are great. Have a happy Sunday.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Well you could have just apologized without the justifications, that would have been better.

I hope you do realize not everyone care about your stock 507 coupe either, should people start insult you for driving an out of date out of trend old yesterday model? Yes it might just be an opinion, but an opinion does not justify insult and disrespect.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Still pissed your new C63S had "fit and finish" issues? That is just too bad because AMG does not need any aftermarket shops, it was supposed to be perfect out of the gate.

BTW, the above is your fact, plus your own opinion in response to your own fact. Neither of them is mine, so take that.

What if the soon to be facelifted A45 also has the 21 hp added at the redline, in order to claim the top spot over the Audi RS? Do you promise to insult your own AMG as you do here?

I ask because manufactures do what the after mkt modders do all the time to sqeaz a little bit of power or speed here and there for bragging right, the only difference is they will charge 5 times the money. You need to get your head out of the sand.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Just curious, I know there was another that was banished from the site for his posts that were deemed offensive. Did he come back under a different name?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
Speaking of aesthetics, I had reservation about how the kit would match the stock layout under the hood, I have to say after seeing the actual final product, it looked good there. It can be better though
Thanks for the kind words! We did our best to design an intake that would stand out slightly yet still blend well with other under-hood components.

It would appear your AFR is stoichiometric to nearly 4,000 rpm and then becomes even richer, which is good. And please remember I did not make any personal assaults on your company, the product, or your personnel.

and do you know the difference in cfm flow rate between stock and after market?
Correct! The plot for our intake system follows very closely to the stock plot, it becomes only slightly richer in the upper rpm range. No worries at all in regards to your inquiries. We welcome any and all questions you have in regards to our intake system.

Pete, as you can tell I am not a full on fan of modding my ride from head to toe, but I agree Sean is out of the line, and his continued behavior is uncalled for. This is from someone, and many others who have supported him fully during his crash and following endeavors. The racial undertone was over the top since it was not general but direct and personal.

Most vendors do not take the time and effort like Mishimoto in this thread to communicate with forum members at such a depth, and with openness and honesty. The things we learned here alone are worth more than what they charge for this mod.

We understand vendors often are reserved when discussing their product development, it makes the OP's willingness to share its processes much more refreshing. It is precisely this kind of vendors we need to support, if the enthusiasts ever hope to satisfy their endless need for improvement or mere curiosity.

Sean, I don't think you did so with ill intent, and am happy for your yet another great ride. But chill it buddy.
Thank you very much!

-Eric
Thanks Eric! Agreed on all points.

-John

·
Registered
701 Posts
so back to the thread topic at hand.

I can't wait for the ship date!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Had a question regarding the aluminum heat shield box. Is the heat shield function equal to or better than stock. The stock box is thick plastic, the Mishimoto box is aluminum. Isn't aluminum a heat conductor? I am concerned with this due to the very high temps toward the front of the hood because the manifold is right near the air box.

Have you measure Intake air temperatures?

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Had a question regarding the aluminum heat shield box. Is the heat shield function equal to or better than stock. The stock box is thick plastic, the Mishimoto box is aluminum. Isn't aluminum a heat conductor? I am concerned with this due to the very high temps toward the front of the hood because the manifold is right near the air box.

Thanks,
Turbo engine needs air cooler because the compressor heats up the air so much, any impact of hotter air at the air box is negligible in comparison.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Turbo engine needs air cooler because the compressor heats up the air so much, any impact of hotter air at the air box is negligible in comparison.
Point taken. I guess since it does run through the turbo it's bound to get very hot anyway, the temperature of the air initially may not have too much of an impact. The intercooler should take care of things. Hmmmn......wonder if there is anyway to upgrade the current intercooler....future product perhaps:lol:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
what is the difference in cfm flow rate?
Another good question. We have yet to collect CFM data for the stock intake or our intake system. If we do collect such data, I will certainly post it up!

so back to the thread topic at hand.

I can't wait for the ship date!
Thanks!

Thanks,
Point taken. I guess since it does run through the turbo it's bound to get very hot anyway, the temperature of the air initially may not have too much of an impact. The intercooler should take care of things. Hmmmn......wonder if there is anyway to upgrade the current intercooler....future product perhaps:lol:
Great points here guys! We've been using metal airbox assemblies or shrouds within all of the intake systems we've developed. So far, we have not had any issues with filter heat soak and previous testing shows similar IAT readings to a factory plastic airbox.

On a turbocharged vehicle, air temperature prior to entry into the turbocharger is not going to make a big impact. This air will then be heated by the turbocharger and cooled once it passes through the intercooler. An intercooler upgrade is certainly within our typical realm of product coverage. We will be keeping this in mind for a potential future project.

Thanks guys!
-John

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
I challenge any of you to a rap battle.

Seriously, my disdain mostly comes from the fact that the 45 is great car!
My personal opinion is that it's foolish to do these types of modifications on a car that does 0-60 in just over 4 seconds and has full support from your dealer. Having sampled multiple AMG products this year, I can tell you the 45 is a great product! I will probably buy another one to share garage space with my 507 coupe. I can also tell you the 45 is fast enough. My new car can do the deed in 3.7 but honestly 4.2 is fast enough.
In my opinion I would never buy a used 45 that had been modded, so I think it's foolish to mod these cars. Also I get so sick of seeing the same basic design on every aftermarket intake: silicone hose connected to cone filter, inside of metal heat shield box. Come on man. Mercedes did 100s of thousands of miles of real world testing in the desert and the frozen tundra. Also, why would you care about 18 hp right before redline????????????????????????????????

Do you care about dyno bragging rights or everyday drive ability? Obviously the car is tuned for drivability. Did anyone notice that there was less power at 3k rpm?

With all that said, I realize these are just my opinions. I was being a dick and using the forum to entertain myself. Okay, I was trolling. I'm sorry.

I would like to apologize to mishimoto and anyone else that was offended.

You guys are great. Have a happy Sunday.
Let me paraphrase your comments so far...

I hate people who modify cars.
The 45 fast enough because I say so.
I own a faster car so I know what I'm talking about.
I have no experience with a modified 45 but I'm trashing the parts because they've been done before.
Sorry for being a dick and insulting people for my dickishness.

Here's what I'll tell you...

The 45 has some serious flaws. Its transmissions sucks. Its throttle sucks. Its suspension can be finicky and twitchy at the limit. And, whether you've experienced issues or not, many of them rattle and shake like an octogenarian on a dance floor with a their pill case in their pocket.

I love my car but don't kid yourself. There's room for improvement. And, yes, while there's room for argument that even a V6 Camry is "fast enough" there is no such thing as "fast enough" to many enthusiasts. And, as an owner of a faster car you should know that. Otherwise, why buy the 507 over the standard C63? I've driven a C63 and a C63 507. I can tell you that the C63 is fast enough. Nobody needs a 507. Familiar logic? Just because you don't understand something doesn't mean you should trash it. While I appreciate the apology you offered after you continued your tirade, you might try taking an approach to understanding the appeal to some.

Having driven a car with an intake, I don't care what the dyno chart says. The 45 breathes better at all RPMs with the intake. You do feel the power at lower RPM -- the sound difference is minimal but power delivery feels stronger and more uniform from a stop. The fact that people have been doing intakes for years doesn't invalidate them. People have been doing headers and exhausts for years, too, because they make a difference. There are good mods and bad mods and while modding for the sake of modding doesn't appeal to me, I can appreciate people wanting "more" -- even if just to (further) differentiate their cars from their neighbors. It's not necessarily about bragging for everyone -- it's about separating their car from the rest of the pack (whether by power, performance, aesthetics, etc.).

Just my $.02,
-Eric

101 - 120 of 170 Posts
About this Discussion
169 Replies
29 Participants
alifouad91
Mercedes CLA Forum
We’re a community dedicated to the Mercedes-Benz CLA & CLA45 AMG. We offer CLA pictures, technical discussions, and more from owners across the world.
Full Forum Listing