·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Check the grade on the manual.

It is maybe MB-Approval 229.3 or 229.5.

·
Banned
74 Posts
Is shell 5w40 helix ultra a good motor oil for the cla engins? They cost here in the stores 4 euro. (+ - 3 dollar)

·
Registered
697 Posts
We use shell as factory fill at my engine plant, pretty good product. I live in Chicago and I decided to use Total fully synthetic 5w-30 during this winter. 0w-40 will flow even better and protect the engine under severe load or acceleration. You made the right choice for your region.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Yes, it is approved by MBZ. I thought the manual said 5-40 but didn't think there is much of a difference.

Thank you
That is a great automotive oil and in 0-40 even better, you will notice a slight improvement in fuel economy. But the biggest impact is in the morning, you will,see that it will reach idle rpm quickly.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Mercedes Recommends only 0w-40 in the CLA45 W133 engine.
CLA45 Oil viscosity.png

Reactions: 2katman2

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mercedes recommends a lot of different things, eg. Replacement of the gearbox oil every 100000 km / 60 months (in my engine OM 651 CDI gearbox 724003) I'm changing every 50000 km and is very well. The CLA 45 AMG change every 50000 km / 36 months naturally, but in Poland there is not much CLA 45AMG :wall: Also the recommend MILLERMATIC ATF DCT-DSG
Greetings

·
Registered
94 Posts
Amsoil has your DCT Fluid and AMG Oil as well.

Mercedes recommends a lot of different things, eg. Replacement of the gearbox oil every 100000 km / 60 months (in my engine OM 651 CDI gearbox 724003) I'm changing every 50000 km and is very well. The CLA 45 AMG change every 50000 km / 36 months naturally, but in Poland there is not much CLA 45AMG :wall: Also the recommend MILLERMATIC ATF DCT-DSG
Greetings

I use the 5W-40 but if I was above the US I would use 0W-40 unless you use 100% Amsoil Synthetic oil. The biggest issue with oil and high temps of a turbo is the heat and fuel dilution by direct injections.. I use what I think is the best, but we all have our own best choice?

I also use the Vacuum extractor to do mine and I have 2 different oils to go with for 10K + service. I now have DCT Fluid too. I am also of the mindset every 50,000 miles or 75,000km on the Transmission and DCT Fluid change. not just a pan drop.. Dealer wants $410 US and fluids were $188 alone. I beat that by $80 AND 100% Synthetic.

Rockauto for the filter, $12.00 shipped to my door. Easy and best part is no under car needed!

Reactions: rafalMB

·
Registered
94 Posts
A better choice?

Mercedes Recommends only 0w-40 in the CLA45 W133 engine.
View attachment 15912
In the US I would use Amsoil EFO 0W-40 100% Amsoil Synthetic oil. The biggest issue with oil and high temps of a turbo is the heat and fuel dilution by direct injections.. I use what I think is the best, but we all have our own best choice?

Reactions: Geo K

·
Registered
11,133 Posts
OK ... so it's been a while and hopefully someone has tried this LiquiMoly stuff? Though as of 2017 it's still
only listed as MB 229.3 even though their website selection for the CLA250/45 is still this one ... still curious
about this one! :cool:

LiquiMoly0W40.jpg

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
.. I use what I think is the best...
Mike,
Coming into this subject late, what are the key differences between Amsoil and Mobil1, which you see, as a Amsoil Dealer ?
Thanks,
Geo

:mblogoblack:

Reactions: JustSynthetic.com

·
Registered
94 Posts
Whats the

Hey Geo, sorry for late reply. Its very simple, the oil is different, we are 100% Synthetic Oil. They are Full Synthetic? Synthetic/Petroleum (70/30%) or (50/50%) maybe (20/80%). Their is no exact API regs on this in the US. Euro is different..

We invented Synthetic oil in 1972. API first and still the leader.. Our friends Mobil came in 1974 and is was good until 1994 when they went before a federal judge. Cant put 100% on a label and lie about it. But you can put *FULL* and who knows?? Hydrocracking and Shale now play a part in Lubes!

We warranty each bottle of oil, and show to be 4x better then Mobil 1 in ASTM Testing..

Hope that helps and please go easy on me...

Mike,
Coming into this subject late, what are the key differences between Amsoil and Mobil1, which you see, as a Amsoil Dealer ?
Thanks,
Geo

:mblogoblack:

Reactions: Geo K

·
Registered
11,133 Posts
Hey Geo, sorry for late reply. Its very simple, the oil is different, we are 100% Synthetic Oil. They are Full Synthetic? Synthetic/Petroleum (70/30%) or (50/50%) maybe (20/80%). Their is no exact API regs on this in the US. Euro is different..

We invented Synthetic oil in 1972. API first and still the leader.. Our friends Mobil came in 1974 and is was good until 1994 when they went before a federal judge. Cant put 100% on a label and lie about it. But you can put *FULL* and who knows?? Hydrocracking and Shale now play a part in Lubes!

We warranty each bottle of oil, and show to be 4x better then Mobil 1 in ASTM Testing..

Hope that helps and please go easy on me...
Might you have links to the ASTM tests?

·
Registered
94 Posts
1 - 20 of 44 Posts