Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know how many miles per gallon this new beauty is supposed to get? I ass-u-me it will require premium (93 octaine) fuel? And how many gallons will the fuel tank hold?

Thanks for sharing anything that anyone knows!

·
Registered
984 Posts
No one knows the exact size of the CLA gas tank just yet.. or at least, I couldn't find it. We do know the Euro spec MPG though, they are listed in this thread here:

http://www.mercedescla.org/forum/5-cla-general-discussion/137-mercedes-benz-cla-gas-mileage-chart-cla-mpg.html

So... for comparisons sake, the A-Class has a tank size of: 54 Liters or 14.3 US Gallons.

Based on our calculations the mixed average is 38 miles per gallon, so that means you can get 543.4 miles per tank. This is for the 250 model with automatic transmission. Keep in mind, the Euro spec for gas mileage calculations is different then the US, so this figure will likely go down.

(Source: Mercedes-Benz A-Class - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

·
Registered
515 Posts
welcome here Pastorandprof, its a bit early for the MPG info, but if i were to guess it i would say similar to a c class 250 sedan around 22 city 31 highway.... just my guessamate "+) dont take it to the bank yet.. lol

·
Registered
79 Posts
welcome here Pastorandprof, its a bit early for the MPG info, but if i were to guess it i would say similar to a c class 250 sedan around 22 city 31 highway.... just my guessamate "+) dont take it to the bank yet.. lol
I keep reading that the mpg on the CLA should be similar to the C model and couldn't disagree more. The CLA has the best aerodynamic in the market, which should make a good difference.

·
Registered
730 Posts
So... for comparisons sake, the A-Class has a tank size of: 54 Liters or 14.3 US Gallons.

Based on our calculations the mixed average is 38 miles per gallon, so that means you can get 543.4 miles per tank. This is for the 250 model with automatic transmission. Keep in mind, the Euro spec for gas mileage calculations is different then the US, so this figure will likely go down.
The ~38mpg combined & ~540 range absolutely blows my mind!!!

Even w/ US metrics (different quart/gallon vs. English litre/gallon, and other fuel-economy/SAE differences I can't recall at his moment), a likely ~35+ mpg combined-driving "fun" car is far beyond my wildest expectations ! And to be able to near ~50mpg w/ a light-foot & long cruises on the highways... whoa! :eek:

I'd have expected such on a no-frills, basic, hybrid cruiser or an entry-level, econo tin'box commuter or an uninteresting aero hatch (and/or a combo of the aforementioned).

Y'all sure we ain't getting an oil'burner from the Fatherland?!? :p

Anwayz...

For reference:

My 3.0L V6 6spd. M.T. sports-car [rwd] gives me ~20mpg (+/- 2.5mpg depending on my driving-style).

My 2.4L i4 5spd. A.T. family-sedan [fwd] gives me ~25mpg (+/- 5mpg depending on urban-highway ratio, average/moderate driving style).

My 3.2L V6 4spd. A.T. SUV [rarely, if ever in 4wd] gives me ~16mpg (+/- 2.5mpg depending on urban-highway ratio & weather, casual/conservative driving-style).

·
Registered
339 Posts
My old B 200 has a lifetime average of more than 32 US MPG. So in the new B 250, I would expect to be well over 35 US MPG average. The CLA should be slightly better than that...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Do we know what kind of Fuel the US 250 will need? Is it going to be a premium (91 Octane) or will regular ol 87 octane do?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Anyone know how many miles per gallon this new beauty is supposed to get? I ass-u-me it will require premium (93 octaine) fuel? And how many gallons will the fuel tank hold?

Thanks for sharing anything that anyone knows!
Hello:

Here I am posting the MPG I got with a full tank. At the moment of filling the tank gas was U$S 3.29 (Gas type: 89) and I spent around 40.

Photo Oct 12, 7 39 45 PM.jpg

It is worth noticing I am having a problem with "check engine" light on. I got this light 3 days after taking the car out of the dealership. I took it to the dealership, they reset the computer but the guy told me it would be back on. A few days later it came back on. The guys are researching on what the problem might be and meanwhile they told me to continue using the car. Yesterday he called me back saying they have another customer with the exact same problem...

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hello:

Here I am posting the MPG I got with a full tank. At the moment of filling the tank gas was U$S 3.29 (Gas type: 89) and I spent around 40.

View attachment 2651

It is worth noticing I am having a problem with "check engine" light on. I got this light 3 days after taking the car out of the dealership. I took it to the dealership, they reset the computer but the guy told me it would be back on. A few days later it came back on. The guys are researching on what the problem might be and meanwhile they told me to continue using the car. Yesterday he called me back saying they have another customer with the exact same problem...
You really should be running no less than 91 octane in this car. Running any less will be detrimental to performance of the engine. Read the owner's manual.

·
Registered
681 Posts
The CLA has the best aerodynamic in the market, which should make a good difference.
Maybe vs. an SUV, but vs. another smallish car there will be no appreciable difference in the city, and a little bit of help on the highway. Don't forget; all newer cars have really good drag ratios. If we do get great mileage, it is due to a VERY advanced engine. (I'm not sure about the 250, but the 45 has up to 5 injections of gas and spark per power cycle.)

·
Registered
495 Posts
Hello:

View attachment 2651

I would definitely have an issue with the dealer advising me to continue to drive the car with the engine light on. May sound a bit too pre-cautious, but I wouldn't want to cause any further damage to my vehicle especially if they couldn't determine what was triggering the light. I would request a loaner until they determine and correct the issue.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thank you for the advice!

I had read the manual and read this part:
"never refuel using fuel with an octane number lower than 87. Otherwise, engine failure could occur."

But after your recommendation I went through the manual again and found this:
"Only refuel using unleaded gasoline with a minimum octane rating of 91"

So, thank you, from now on only 91 octanes!

PS: The "check engine" light has nothing to do with this "error" since this turned on even before I refueled the tank for the first time ever

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hello:

View attachment 2651

that's pretty good that the car gets over 33 mpg. that's about the same as my smart fortwo. did you drive mostly hwy or city? how big is the fuel tank?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hello:

View attachment 2651

Why are you putting less than a 91 octane rating ? 😱

1 - 20 of 57 Posts