Mercedes CLA Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I have a 2014 benz amg45 turbo. It started to sputter this morning. I've been told in the past it's the coils. Is this a common issue with this vehicle? 馃

Registered
Can you be more specific ? Sputter?

Do you mean the car is idling roughly and misfiring?

Was it during the cold start? Drop a bottle of Redline S1-L fuel system cleaner and see if it have an impact. Sometimes those fuel injectors can be fouled up , GDIs have deposit formation issues. Or even STP 5-in-1 fuel system cleaner works too.

Reactions: Elsa

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
While driving today, the car started sputtering when I pressed on gas pedal. Ys, misfiring could also describe it. I always let the car warm up before driving. I have delt with this issue before, so I'm wondering if it's a common problem with this car.

Registered
...It started to sputter this morning....
Elsa > MB 101 - Check for codes, let your Mercedes tell you what the problem is. :)

Registered
Since it's a 2014, couple of questions, as these GDI engines are really particular about it's maintenance:

1. Have the oil/filter been changed regularly, every 8000-10000 miles?
  2. Use of a poor quality gas or one with a lower octane can cause problems for the engine, especially it's turbocharged.
  3. What's the mileage on the car? being a 2014, I would imagine at least 12,000 miles annually , and that makes it about 96,000 miles by now. That's quite a bit of mileage , plugs typically gets changed out about 60,000 miles , and if not , should be changed out now.
  4. The coils could be fouled as well, which would require replacing.
  5. The injectors are one of the key things in having a smoothly operating engine, and if poor quality gas is used, regular cleaning is required, typically adding a bottle of a good fuel system cleaner every 3000 miles, helps keep the injectors operating as per oem specs.
Hence I recommend, if you have not changed out your oil/filter for the past 8000 miles, have it changed , and then put two bottles of the STP 5-in-1 fuel system cleaner into the gas tank, and drive it hard on the freeway, do this until the gas tank is near empty (don't refill before then). No CELs will be thrown for fouled fuel injectors and dirty valves, just poor operation of the engine. Might not be a bad idea to consider a change of spark plugs at the same time, if that was not done lately.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thnk u so much for all ur help & advice. The car has a little over 84,000 miles, & I do reg maintenance, & get the 91 octane gas. I will be looking into the list of things to check on the car. Again, thnk u...

Registered
are your plugs wet?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts