Mercedes CLA Forum banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2021 AMG CLA 45 S Digital White w/Performance Package
539 Posts
@mav238

the padding would probably add ~100lb between the doors and the panels and trim pieces
They said about 6kgs (13 lbs) for all four doors, I'm tossing out my fire extinguisher and not wearing any pants when I drive to compensate and maintain my 0-100kph times :cool:

Reactions: jmc

·
Premium Member
13,127 Posts
this is what you need almost straight through
don't know if they do one for the 117 but i am thinking about one when my warranty runs out next year or may get one custom built as it maybe cheaper
cute little system … though that u turn into the chamber is an odd move
they probably presume most will leave the thru pipe on all the time

·
Premium Member
13,127 Posts
I checked the Becker official website, and they don't have anything current for the CLA. Where did you get this pic and info from?

Here's the link to the website search for Becker products for Mercedes:

Becker exhaust - Mercedes
just tried that becker link … all fuzz
that was a fleabay release for a 45 tho if i get it i will use only the rear section
to maintain “stock” look i can always get a used muff and slice it open redo the chamber/routing and weld back up … just a tad less back pressure without messing with the oem flow path and scavenging
last thing i want to do is kill torque for a few feel good db of noise

wish there was a dynamic tuned pipe system tied to a power/torque data stream so its not just a open/close shock valve … so torque is maintained for launch yet flow is maximized for high hp segments for flat out runs
hmmm … hmmm …

·
Premium Member
13,127 Posts
They said about 6kgs (13 lbs) for all four doors, I'm tossing out my fire extinguisher and not wearing any pants when I drive to compensate and maintain my 0-100kph times :cool:
uh … hmmm … only 3kg for both doors on each side? guess they are going purely for muffling and not damping tho if it drops a few db of noise who cares
hope they remember to take some pix for you to show it off

has the big whiney mechanism driver launched a complaint about funds release for puffy stuff that doesnt make the car go faster?

an errr how much lead is in your trousers?

·
Registered
539 Posts
uh … hmmm … only 3kg for both doors on each side? guess they are going purely for muffling and not damping tho if it drops a few db of noise who cares
hope they remember to take some pix for you to show it off

has the big whiney mechanism driver launched a complaint about funds release for puffy stuff that doesnt make the car go faster?

an errr how much lead is in your trousers?
Well, she who must be obeyed has given up trying to convince me of the error in my ways, particularly when it comes to ‘throwing money away on a stupid car’… she also tells me I’m too slow doing most things, so I’m guessing I’m carrying at least a few kgs of lead in the old pantaloons 🤣

Reactions: jmc

·
Registered
539 Posts
@jmc OK, had it done yesterday. First impressions, outstanding. Everything I had hoped for was fixed, I have no serious rattles in the doors at all any more. The rattle I thought was the B Pillar actually turned out to be from the drivers side door, funny how the acoustics told my ears that it was coming from the B Pillar, but there you go. Aside from that, the cabin is noticeably quieter, although you still get the roar of the low profile tyres as it is only the doors that have been muffled of course. I also noticed a deeper resonance from the door speakers, just my perception, but it does sound like a 'deeper' sound experience now that the area surrounding the speakers have been padded. All in all, I am a very happy camper with the result, and it cost less than quoted as they did not take as long to do it as first indicated (6.5 hours). They did take a few pics on my request. The first couple are very telling, they show the dodgy attempts by the dealership to rectify the rattles:

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Wheel

You can clearly see in the above pic that the plate is not fully sealed/connected to the door skin, in my mind, creating even more rattles.

Bicycle Wheel Tire Vehicle Crankset

In the above pic, once that plate was removed, the haphazard application of some silicone is obvious.

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive exterior Electrical wiring Automotive tire

Motor vehicle Hood Product Automotive design Automotive exterior

Hood Automotive design Vehicle Motor vehicle Car

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior

Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Trunk Gas Vehicle door

:)

·
Premium Member
13,127 Posts
well … sound “travels”
loved the way they tried to terminated the dampers … (may be the trick that limits edge resonances etc) without excess mass … not sure why they missed a couple
the music sound improvement is usually the most clear change … sorta like upgrading a speaker enclosure to enhance its capabilities
glad it all worked and really appreciate the pix … pretty sure many members can benefit

good show mate!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
@DrOzCLA - glad you went through with it and satisfied with the results. Did you happen to check the Playlist I shared? If you can, please sound test one particular song called Mannequins & Egos by ZHU. I'm curious if you detect any rattles on this one :)

·
Registered
539 Posts
@DrOzCLA - glad you went through with it and satisfied with the results. Did you happen to check the Playlist I shared? If you can, please sound test one particular song called Mannequins & Egos by ZHU. I'm curious if you detect any rattles on this one :)
Hi @melquiades, yes I did, thank you for that. I will try that song on the way home tonight and see what happens. I'm hopeful the doors will remain attached to the vehicle! And thank you for the recommendation, it was well worth the effort and cost.

Reactions: melquiades

·
Registered
539 Posts
@melquiades I tried that track, turned the volume up, and it did create a very minor speaker vibration in the rear, but nothing in the doors (previous to the doors being filled, this track would have produced sounds like a drum full of tin cans being rolled down the road). It is a great test track I have to say, but not something I would play regularly, so hopefully no more issues moving forward! Thanks again for that.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
@melquiades I tried that track, turned the volume up, and it did create a very minor speaker vibration in the rear, but nothing in the doors (previous to the doors being filled, this track would have produced sounds like a drum full of tin cans being rolled down the road). It is a great test track I have to say, but not something I would play regularly, so hopefully no more issues moving forward! Thanks again for that.
For me this is the ultimate test track for checking the rattling noises :D
Glad your car withstood it. And yes, this is not a regular kind of music since very few tracks can be this challenging for any sound system.

You're welcome, and happy listening! :)

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
For me this is the ultimate test track for checking the rattling noises :D
Glad your car withstood it. And yes, this is not a regular kind of music since very few tracks can be this challenging for any sound system.

You're welcome, and happy listening! :)
My experience with this speaker rattling in my CLA, is coming more from the speakers "crackling" , for some heavy bass music and some that takes the high pitch to a crescendo... It does not happen all the time though... I attribute it to the speakers limited dynamic range. I thought of upgrading the speakers, but then , I don't think I want to be hearing heavy bass and metallic music all day long, bad for my aging ears... My experience with my CLA is the rattling in the doors has never been an issue (or at least I don't notice it under normal driving conditions on the not so great vancouver roads). Compared to my 2002 SAAB 9-3t, designed by SAAB, but manufactured by GM, everything rattled and creaked in that car, even when brand new. Had to bring it to the dealer shop for "sound proofing" of the doors and 3M taping the other panels inside the cabin. The rattles were reduced significantly, but the speakers still buzzed under heavy music, and the interior creaked everytime the car runs over irregular roads. That was a creaking and rattling jalopy =) The SAAB drove beautifully, but man... the build quality was terrible.
Hence, coming from that, this CLA is rock solid in comparison.

Reactions: DrOzCLA

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
My experience with this speaker rattling in my CLA, is coming more from the speakers "crackling" , for some heavy bass music and some that takes the high pitch to a crescendo... It does not happen all the time though... I attribute it to the speakers limited dynamic range. I thought of upgrading the speakers, but then , I don't think I want to be hearing heavy bass and metallic music all day long, bad for my aging ears... My experience with my CLA is the rattling in the doors has never been an issue (or at least I don't notice it under normal driving conditions on the not so great vancouver roads). Compared to my 2002 SAAB 9-3t, designed by SAAB, but manufactured by GM, everything rattled and creaked in that car, even when brand new. Had to bring it to the dealer shop for "sound proofing" of the doors and 3M taping the other panels inside the cabin. The rattles were reduced significantly, but the speakers still buzzed under heavy music, and the interior creaked everytime the car runs over irregular roads. That was a creaking and rattling jalopy =) The SAAB drove beautifully, but man... the build quality was terrible.
Hence, coming from that, this CLA is rock solid in comparison.
I'm assuming you're talking about 1st Gen CLA, for which I can't speak because I never even sat inside one of those. And then there's also a matter of which sound system you're referring to? Basic, Advanced or Burmester (or similar in 1st gen)? Personally I never noticed the speakers "crackling". I do understand what you're pointing towards when you say limited dynamic range.

On my CLA with the Burmester, the only area I have found lacking is the subwoofer because it can't reproduce anything below 70 Hz - what I like to call 'sub-bass', those are the really low frequenciy details that I feel are lost in the Burmester sound system.

As far as build quality of second-gen CLA is concerned, I feel there's room for improvement. This is Mercedes whose slogan touts "The best or nothing" ;)

·
Premium Member
13,127 Posts
Get a full spectrum version (like dvd-a) of hotel california
Set equalizers to neutral volume to 50% (adc count)
Everything closed including intake vent
Hit play
See how many scuff / loose points show up

I found a few but damn the hk system really held up well - and yes including the poor little race track sub

41 - 54 of 54 Posts