Mercedes CLA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2021 CLA 45s
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, after spying on all your CLAs I thought I’d join the party! From a long time of Audi ownership I finally decided to take the plunge into the world of AMG and recently picked up a brand new CLA45s. Being my first Mercedes’ I was a little disappointed with the build quality (maybe I got a bad one?) but overall I’m over the moon with it. The amount of tech in the car is crazy and some of the pops I get from the exhaust are outrageous!
I think it’s safe to say I’m no longer an Audi fanboy!
Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Sky Grille Vehicle

Sky Tire Wheel Vehicle Car

Vehicle Speedometer Car Steering part Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2021 AMG CLA 45 S Digital White w/Performance Package
380 Posts
Congratulations, and welcome to the forum and the family @amg-sam. That is a nice looking beast, very similar to your spec @SILVAF0XX ? The build quality of the cabin is a major sore point for a few of us, my gripe was a number of loud rattles and vibrations that should not have been there (mostly rectified now), but other than that, it is an amazing vehicle!

·
Registered
2021 CLA 45s
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks @DrOzCLA! Yes it’s the exact same spec! Luckily I managed to get mine built before the semiconductor shortage. I’ve found the best way to drown out the rattles and vibrations is putting it in sport+, but is there anything specific I should look out for in terms of rattles? I had a rattling seat fixed by my dealer but seem to have noises coming from the passenger door card now

·
Registered
98 Posts
Car looks mint mate… but I’m biased!

Very similar to mine indeed! I also left the Audi stable and it was also my first Mercedes.

Mine has suffered a problem with its ambient lighting, and without boring you with the detail, it is going back to the dealership to be fixed. Car has multiple fault codes and even emitted strange noises which only a video would explain. My local dealer even used the term “strip the interior” to me… which got me quite animated

Issues are as follows:

Rattle behind media screen
Creaking steering wheel
Squealing brakes
Faulty ambient lighting

Don’t get me wrong, I love this car but it’s souring that new owner experience if I’m honest. I likened it tonight with a relationship where in the honeymoon period you don’t want a bad experience as it sets you off on the wrong foot. Sadly for me it’s becoming that and it’s a real shame!

Not wanting to compare but my Audis were bulletproof and my S3 particularly so considering the miles of spirited miles I did in it… not a single rattle after 54,000 miles!

My faith in the brand has been dented to say the least!

Silva

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 CLA 45s
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow @SILVAF0XX we really do think alike, I also came from an s3 and I agree the build quality was second to none!
I can imagine your pain, there must be nothing worse than have your pride and joy pulled apart, that would definitely irk me.
I have looked past the few issues I’ve had (just rattles so far, touch wood) as I feel the rest of the car makes up for it but it’s not what I expected.
I’m from the north east, uk. Picked the car up in the summer so had it a few months now.

Sam

·
Registered
98 Posts
You were lucky then to get AR Nav etc…

We’ve missed out on a few toys sadly and I’m fighting to get that particular feature retrofitted as some have been offered.

I do think that Merc are not alone in using cheaper plastics. New Audis felt cheaper than my last one, in particular the door cards, so they may also be more prone to rattles.

I just hope I get mine fixed so I can enjoy it without all the aggregation.

Again good to meet a like minded individual

·
Vendor
57 Posts
Welcome to the community and congratulations! This forum really is a ton of help. With a little bit of research you can find an answer to all your questions. Have fun surfing around!

·
Registered
380 Posts
Thanks @DrOzCLA! Yes it’s the exact same spec! Luckily I managed to get mine built before the semiconductor shortage. I’ve found the best way to drown out the rattles and vibrations is putting it in sport+, but is there anything specific I should look out for in terms of rattles? I had a rattling seat fixed by my dealer but seem to have noises coming from the passenger door card now
The two key ones to look out for are the door cards and the seat belt retention device in the B Pillars. I had the dealer remove the passenger door card as there was a significant rattle (could even hear it over the radio it was that bad) in it somewhere. They added a lot of sound proofing tape and silicon and it has fixed the issue (95% fixed, but i'm very picky). Apparently there were gaps behind the door card that were greater than manufacturing tolerances should allow, and somehow this allowed things to bang/rub together. Vibrations in the B pillar have been a known issue for years but Merc have not changed anything to fix it i'm afraid. I feel for SILVAFOXX. his other issues seem to be a complete collapse of QA post build, which is disappointing. However, all of these things can be rectified, just keep onto your dealer and push until they are done. I understand the argument that these are the 'bottom end' of the AMG food chain, however, given that other brands at a lesser price point can get their cabin quality sorted there is no excuse for this minor stuff. And yes, it does spoil the otherwise amazing driving experience.

Reactions: amg-sam

·
Registered
98 Posts
I just hope I get a satisfactory outcome… car now going to them on Tuesday next week and will be with them for a few days.

I’ll keep my fingers crossed!

It doesn’t help reading all the positive reviews of the new RS3 which is the other car I would have gone for if not this.

Still, I prefer the more subtle and grown up styling of the Merc so if they nobble these issues I’ll be a happy camper!

·
Registered
380 Posts
I just hope I get a satisfactory outcome… car now going to them on Tuesday next week and will be with them for a few days.

I’ll keep my fingers crossed!

It doesn’t help reading all the positive reviews of the new RS3 which is the other car I would have gone for if not this.

Still, I prefer the more subtle and grown up styling of the Merc so if they nobble these issues I’ll be a happy camper!
Any good news from the dealership yet @SILVAF0XX ?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Only just seen this!

No not yet - the car is still with them and has been in for nearly a week now!

I’m hoping they’re being thorough and I’ll be a happy camper when it returns.

I’m driving a 220d GLC as a loaner and the cabin build is so superior it’s making me feel worse

Even the key is metal as opposed to plastic!!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Not a good experience so far guys have to say.

Car been with them for over a week and although they now say that my list of faults/issues have been rectified, they are saying they can find no issue with the ambient lighting.

This is despite it happening to me on EVERY journey and having shown them multiple videos

Last email from me to them was I’d be seriously upset if the car comes back and still does this! But I’m privately thinking what if they can’t or won’t fix??

Do I refuse the car? They’d probably refund me and retail it for £5k more than I paid for it!!!

Then what do I do?

Thoughts peeps… I’m stressed over this and it’s tainted what should have been an amazing experience

Silva

·
Registered
380 Posts
Not a good experience so far guys have to say.

Car been with them for over a week and although they now say that my list of faults/issues have been rectified, they are saying they can find no issue with the ambient lighting.

This is despite it happening to me on EVERY journey and having shown them multiple videos

Last email from me to them was I’d be seriously upset if the car comes back and still does this! But I’m privately thinking what if they can’t or won’t fix??

Do I refuse the car? They’d probably refund me and retail it for £5k more than I paid for it!!!

Then what do I do?

Thoughts peeps… I’m stressed over this and it’s tainted what should have been an amazing experience

Silva

I feel for you Silva. The positive is that (allegedly) all of your other issues have been fixed. I would go in, check every item to see if it is fixed, get them to show you that the ambient lighting is indeed working without issue, and if it is not, tell them you will not be taking the vehicle back until it is rectified. If their service crew cannot find the issue, then they need to be communicating with the mothership techs in Germany to find a fix. It is the one issue that I have difficulty understanding with MB, the apparent lack of concern for the customer post sale. I've read too many posts from around the world where dealerships basically wash their hands of you once they have your cash. Quality customer service should continue for as long as I have the vehicle, not just to the point of delivery. Having said that, my few issues have been rectified without too much squirming by my dealership, and the vehicle is just getting better as the miles clock up and it settles in. Keep us posted!

Reactions: SILVAF0XX

·
Registered
380 Posts
Thanks - I think I’ll do what you suggest.

What a saga… was seriously thinking push for a refund and get an RSQ3

I’ll stick with it

That is always an option mate but it would be a real shame (and another lengthy wait on a new build?). You look a lot younger than me, I'm an old geezer just trying to hang on to his youth with a 'sports' car and your earlier thoughts about the more mature looks of the Merc certainly played a small part in my buy choice. I'm still hopeful that they will get everything fixed for you and you won't look back 🤞

·
Registered
98 Posts
My first choice replacement would be an RS3 but a lengthy build would certainly follow!

I’d be looking for a stock car if I were to go that route

I’m 42 with two young kids but size has never been a concern as even when we go on holiday (pre pandemic) we’d get a mini bus to the airport so rarely gets loaded up.

I’m going to stick with it I think unless things get worse but we will see.

Don’t get me wrong, I love the car in terms of looks and performance so I do hope it can be put right.

I’m glad you’re enjoying your car and hopefully I can get to that place too

1 - 20 of 46 Posts