Mercedes CLA Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure when my CLA will be delivered but the target is late October / early November. I expect around December (just to lower my expectation).

Need advice on how to prepare for the car since this is going to be my first car, what can I do on my end before the car arrives. As far as I know I need to:

1. Shop around for car insurance before the car arrives?
- Is it true that I can't drive the car home from the dealership if I don't have the insurance ready?
- I do have a transferable custom Canadian license plate (2 character which I am proud of, I think its cool haha)
2. Shop around for auto loan since I am financing it and have it ready before the car arrives or else I can't take the car home?
- But my plan is to do it once I know the car is on the way from Germany. Because if I start doing it too early then I will have to do many credit check which will hurt my credit score, what do you think?
3. Do I even need to register the car etc?
4. Can't think of anything else...

What is usually the process like?
Is it Find insurance -> Make sure car loan ready to finance -> Bring the car home and register the car?

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Not sure when my CLA will be delivered but the target is late October / early November. I expect around December (just to lower my expectation).

Need advice on how to prepare for the car since this is going to be my first car, what can I do on my end before the car arrives. As far as I know I need to:

1. Shop around for car insurance before the car arrives?
- Is it true that I can't drive the car home from the dealership if I don't have the insurance ready?
- I do have a transferable custom Canadian license plate (2 character which I am proud of, I think its cool haha)
2. Shop around for auto loan since I am financing it and have it ready before the car arrives or else I can't take the car home?
- But my plan is to do it once I know the car is on the way from Germany. Because if I start doing it too early then I will have to do many credit check which will hurt my credit score, what do you think?
3. Do I even need to register the car etc?
4. Can't think of anything else...

What is usually the process like?
Is it Find insurance -> Make sure car loan ready to finance -> Bring the car home and register the car?
Suggest: You have to know > Can you afford the car payments + insurance + home rent + new baby + food, etc.
So, this is the major area of questions to answer first.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Suggest: You have to know > Can you afford the car payments + insurance + home rent + new baby + food, etc.
So, this is the major area of questions to answer first.
Haha, I meant the baby is the CLA literally
I have confidence with financial matter/credit approval. I just want to know the steps on how to prepare for this car before it arrives so that the delivery is smooth since I have more time now. I don't have much info on that since this is going to be my first car purchase.

Question arises such as can I just make a $10000 down payment to take the car home before financing it, given I have good credit score they trust me etc. And they can give me around 2-4week to shop around for the best auto loan deal.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
You already have a car and car insurance, so you are just replacing the vehicle.
The dealer is going to want payment + proof of insurance + car registration before you drive away...there is no trust involved, it is all facts. The dealer can handle the whole process and you can follow the steps given in the prior thread to get these issues resolved. A Canadian member will offer additional advice soon.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You already have a car and car insurance, so you are just replacing the vehicle.
The dealer is going to want payment + proof of insurance + car registration before you drive away...there is no trust involved, it is all facts. The dealer can handle the whole process and you can follow the steps given in the prior thread to get these issues resolved. A Canadian member will offer additional advice soon.
I don't have a car and car insurance haha.

But other than car insurance, license and regristration, car loan, anything else I am missing?

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
...1. Shop around for car insurance before the car arrives?
- I do have a transferable custom Canadian license plate (2 character which I am proud ...
Yes, a Candian member will check me on this.
What car did the plate come from, if not yours?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, a Candian member will check me on this.
What car did the plate come from, if not yours?
I bought that license plate when i was 16 or so, but I had to use my mother's name since I was still under the age.

Now the license is still under my mother's name, but transferable since I'm her son

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I bought that license plate when i was 16 or so, but I had to use my mother's name since I was still under the age.

Now the license is still under my mother's name, but transferable since I'm her son
Don't mind me asking... how old are you really? All those questions you asked lead me to think you have not had much real world experience in life...

Anyway, all dealerships will work out the insurance for you easily, by calling the insurance agent to their facility to process the details , when you are ready to pick up the car.
If you have previous insurance, the insurance agent will be able to process and transfer the existing insurance over to the new vehicle.
The insurance agent will also do all the registration of the new vehicle and tie it to your insurance as well.
Nothing for you to have to be burdened with.
And yes, you will need to have your new vehicle insured before you drive it off the dealership.

If you are not financing the car through MB, then yes, make sure you have the proof of financing from a bank or finance company before you head off to the dealer.

It's not a really complicated process.
Have the money available to pay for the vehicle
Have a valid driver's licence
get the dealer to call an insurance agent to process your insurance (or you can bring in your own preferred agent).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Don't mind me asking... how old are you really? All those questions you asked lead me to think you have not had much real world experience in life...

Anyway, all dealerships will work out the insurance for you easily, by calling the insurance agent to their facility to process the details , when you are ready to pick up the car.
If you have previous insurance, the insurance agent will be able to process and transfer the existing insurance over to the new vehicle.
The insurance agent will also do all the registration of the new vehicle and tie it to your insurance as well.
Nothing for you to have to be burdened with.
And yes, you will need to have your new vehicle insured before you drive it off the dealership.

If you are not financing the car through MB, then yes, make sure you have the proof of financing from a bank or finance company before you head off to the dealer.

It's not a really complicated process.
Have the money available to pay for the vehicle
Have a valid driver's licence
get the dealer to call an insurance agent to process your insurance (or you can bring in your own preferred agent).
I'm actually 25, it's not that, I believe it's because this will be my first big purchase and first car purchase so I have no prior experience in terms of car purchasing. But in terms of finance and career I do have them under control.

I don't have insurance now since I am working from home and in theory I don't need a car. But I used to have an insurance but I think now is a good time to shop around for better insurance company that can give me better rates.

So to recap, the main thing is
1. Have the auto loan and financing ready before the car arrives
2. Find the best insurance company and have them ready by the time the car arrives
3. License and regristration, probably need to bring a physical driver license to the dealership
4. But other than that I should be good?

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I'm actually 25, it's not that, I believe it's because this will be my first big purchase and first car purchase so I have no prior experience in terms of car purchasing. But in terms of finance and career I do have them under control.

I don't have insurance now since I am working from home and in theory I don't need a car. But I used to have an insurance but I think now is a good time to shop around for better insurance company that can give me better rates.

So to recap, the main thing is
1. Have the auto loan and financing ready before the car arrives
2. Find the best insurance company and have them ready by the time the car arrives
3. License and regristration, probably need to bring a physical driver license to the dealership
4. But other than that I should be good?
Yup, there's not too much to it when purchasing a car.
Have the money , valid driver licence and insurance (either your own preferred agent or have the dealership bring in their own affiliated insurance agent whom they partner with).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts