Mercedes CLA Forum banner

Next car, CLA45 or BMW M235

21K views 91 replies 21 participants last post by  DavidCLA250 
#1 ·
I have a 2014 cla 250. I was thinking about trading in for a cla45 or M235i . In most reviews I read the M235 wins, however it is not a true M car and is two doors only car. So my question for current owners is, would you still buy/recommend the CLA45? Personally I like the look of the CLA45 better, being 4 doors, that it is slightly quicker 0-60 and it is a true AMG car. Another question is, I would want to keep the CLA45 for about 5 years as a daily driver, is this a bad idea? being a high performance car should I limit the miles I put on it? and is maintenance and repairs much higher than a regular cla? thanks

#2 ·
Ok. I am very biased from bmw to Mercedes lol. The only bmw I would ever consider is the m3/m4 or a 6 series. Other than that, I dislike bmw lol.

But, on that note, I would go for a cla45.
Why? It's a 4 cylinder so the mpg is "supposedly" better.
It's faster like you said,
And I like the cla's style more.

Bmw.
It is a v6 I believe so the car would sound louder, especially if you wanted to do some exhaust work.
But at the same time, it's only a 2 door and it's not a true M car.
In the end, it is up to you, but if I was in your position, I would get a cla45.

I recommend test driving both and seeing which one feels the best.

#3 · (Edited)
Are you crazy?

Why would you even *think* about an m235i when the M2 is about to come out?

If its between an AMG or a 235i..

the AMG all the way..

The m2 however, has me second guessing my loyalty to AMG in light of their recent stance changes and adding non hand-built models into the line up etc.

BMW M2 Reviews - BMW M2 Price, Photos, and Specs - Car and Driver

Car and driver says...

1) BMW M2
2) Audi S3
3) AMG CLA45

I would say... its a neck and neck tie for the M2 and CLA45 personally, and it all boils down to whether you want 4 door AWD or 2 door RWD.

Daily driver protocol is your own protocol.

If its under warranty, its under warranty, if you drive the mileage outside of the warranty, then it could become an issue.

Standard warranty is 4 years, 50,000 miles I believe, so... once you hit that mark, I'd say get a new daily driver or buy the extended warranty up front.

While its under warranty, daily drive it all you want, drive it as hard as you want...

#5 ·
M2 still has the synthetic engine noise through the stereos... sigh

#7 ·
is this true..?

anyways OP you should test drive them and see how they respond to how you drive

Reactions: Sue Esponte
#6 ·
if you remove price from being a factor here is how i would rank the cars discussed

M2
CLA45 AMG
BMW M235
Audi S3

Just not a fan of Audi :)

#9 ·
Driving them both and seeing how you feel behind the wheel for each one will help you decide. Personally, I'd still pick the cla45 over M235i or M2. When I was in the market, the M3 is what almost swayed me away. The M235i never once hit my radar, primarily because I needed a 4 doors, it's the better daily driver of the two and being an AMG means it is track ready out the box.

#10 ·
You need to drive both of them first - cla250 has no similarities to 45amg even though they seems to be almost same cars.

M235 i ugly, from driver perspective it seems to be tighter inside. 3.0l motor is great, at transimssion is great but car doesn't deliver exitment. Probably because BMW knew that there is m2 on a way.

My next car will be rs3 or m2 - they are more expensive. I would suggest you to go with cla 45 and after it m2 :)

I'm using cla45 as a daily drive, it works perfect.

#11 ·
Totally 2 different vehicles
The cla 45 and cla 250 only share body shell and some cosmetics.
The 45 is like a gt 500
And the 250 is like the standard mustang.
I had cla 250 as a loaner and I just couldn't believe what a difference it really was.
The M2 is a fantastic choice if you don't need all wheel drive.
Forget about m235 you will always regret not getting the m2 if you do
It's a realllllllllll M vehicle.

#12 ·
1) AMG noise vs Fake stereo noise
2) 2.0L 375 HP vs 3.0L 365 HP
3) 4-door AWD vs 2-door RWD
4) transmissions - from what I've read I really think MB listened to the feedback on their transmissions and with the addition of dynamic drive select (S+, Race mode) and suspension setting select they've taken this away as a CON against the CLA45.

4-0 MB AMG for me. But I'm biased...

#13 ·
What mattered to me:

AWD
4 doors
Better performance

What I don't care about:

Real M
Fake M
Real AMG
Fake AMG

I love my 45 but it isn't without its faults -- and I'm not talking about some of the more outrageous criticism shoveled by publications like Consumer Reports. That said, I'm planning on keeping mine for a good 4-5 years at least, if not longer. It's my daily driver and love getting behind the wheel every time I have a chance to drive it. I do a double take every time I walk away from it, too. I have to imagine you're pretty happy with your 250 if you're considering a 45, right?

Are there comparable cars on the market? I'm not sure. The M235 and M4 both lack AWD and the former lacked the requisite number of doors for me. The S3 and S4 come the closest but the S3 lacks in the performance arena and while the S4 comes closer, I'm waiting desperately for Audi take a bigger evolutionary leap forward in their designs. To me, the A3/S3 (while beautiful) already look dated -- not that you were asking about the Audis. I went with the 45 over all of these cars and don't regret my decision despite its faults. FWIW, I was on the pre-order list back and received my car in Dec 2013. You've got to determine what matters most to you. And, if it helps to put my perspective into context, I'm not a Benz guy. My preferences tend towards Audi and BMW. In fact, the CLA45 is the only Benz in the current line up that interests me (save, perhaps, the E63 estate -- but the E Class is generally too large for my tastes).

Have you driven the M235? If not, don't make a decision based on what any of us says. Drive it yourself and see which you like better! I've never had a chance to get behind the wheel of the M235 but even without that benefit I would probably give it "wins" in the categories of linear acceleration, better throttle feel, and better transmission feel/performance -- plus, I believe you can get it with a 6 speed manual, right? That's a MAJOR win in my book. The closest comparison I had (back in 2013) was really the 335i xDrive MSport. It was a phenomenal car but it felt overweight and bloated to me and I was very let down by the quality and design of the car's interior...and yes, I've read the criticism about the CLA (as have you as a 250 owner).

I don't know how important things like 4 doors and AWD are to you as that can sometimes make or break a decision. I needed both. Go with your gut. One of the cars will pull your heart strings a little more than the other. Just go with what your heart tells you and I don't think you'll regret your decision. Besides, if you do, you can always sell it for another car at some point.

Good luck!

-Eric

#14 ·
I have a 250 and I love it to death. One day I'll buy a 45. Why? Because when I was 15 years old, I saw the first Cla45 AMG.
I was down by LA area and this guy parked in front of my moms car.

I'll never forget it.
The exhaust, the color, the powerful look that the car gave off.
I thought it was a super car lmao!
So here I am. 15 years old and I grab my phone and type in the car name: CLA45 AMG.
I go home and start doing tons of research.
3 years later and I was still drooling over my hopes and dreams for that car.

What ended up happening? 18 years old and I walked off the lot with a cla250 fully paid off.

Not exactly a 45, by half of my dream came true that day.

I know, I know, sounds "cliché" but I really had that goal.
So, one day I'll own a cla45 once I use up my 250.
Maybe this story will help you decide.
Why? Because I've seen a bmw m series mayb 2-3
Times a day in LA.
But when I saw that rare 45.......ooooooooo baby..

#17 ·
I'm assuming both figures are based on ideal settings using launch control.

By the way, can't remember who said it but, the BMW has an inline 6 (not a V6) so it's inherently balanced (read: smoother) than a 4cyl or even a V6. R&T lists the 0-60 time for the M2 as 4.2sec (for the DCT) and 4.4 with the manual. C&D lists the 0-60 for the M235i xDrive at 4.5sec and the RWD version at 4.3sec.

At the end of the day, we're talking about tenths of a second differentiating these cars. These are standard deviations I'm betting you'll find among cars of the same model, too. Some engines are better assembled (ever so slightly) than others. It's just the way things work. Add to that the impact of different climates, elevations and other condition and, I'm betting that unless you're racing, you're probably not going to notice the difference in acceleration much. I've seen some magazines describe the 45's acceleration at 4.5 sec and even as low as 3.9. What I've found is that most owners like talking about these numbers for bragging rights -- not because they really feel like 0-60 in 4.4 sec is just too slow for a daily driver, whereas 4.2 is so much better.

If you're just looking for bragging rights, find the car with the lowest acceleration times. Otherwise, go and drive them. IMHO, the CLA45 doesn't feel half as fast as it really is. I've stopped counting the number of times I've been "disappointed" by its handling at X mph only to look down and realize I'd surpassed that speed by leaps and bounds. Drive the cars and see what you like. The M2 is also going to cost a lot more than an M235i. Is the extra 0.2 worth the added exclusivity and cost? I'm not talking it down...you just need to weigh its importance to you.

-Eric

#19 ·
sound alone makes CLA better... Don't worry about couple tenths of a second... Even though the CLA is faster... The bigger deal is that it does this with fewer cylinders and a fraction of the displacement as the Beemer! Shame.... Shame :)

#20 ·
ive been doing a lot of research and why is it that virtually every publication and online reviews and videos i find of cla45 vs m235i the bmw Always wins. normally i would not worry to much about reviews since a lot of it depends on preference but it is across every review i have seen the bmw wins and it is only a m235 not M2. a big problem with the cla45 i hear is the transmission is clunky and not good.

#22 · (Edited)
OP, ignore all the bias in this thread as there is A LOT of it. I have driven both vehicles, I also happen to own a 2015 435i M performance edition(RWD) as well as a 2016 CLA45(newly picked up) with the updated tranny. Before I go any further or before you decide on either car, please go test drive both. Make sure to test drive a M235i with the optional M performance exhaust fitted.

The Ride/Suspension
CLA: the CLA45 with the new dampers has substantially improved the ride quality and it no longer feels like a go cart on bumpy roads. In sport+ and race the ride is firm but not punishing and there is virtually no body roll to speak of. Compared to the M235i, feels like I am sitting a bit too high for my liking, but it is liveable.

M235i: From what I remember, the M235i has a more comfortable ride and has a bit of body roll but not too much, still making it a good car for back road fun. Car feels like you are sitting really nice and low in the chassis.

As the Mercedes is a FWD based all wheel system you wont get the fun of powersliding the car or getting the tail out through corners compared to the M235i and you should choose accordingly if you like to drift.

Engine

CLA45: Amazing engine, there is a lot of turbo lag compared to the M235i but once you are above 3k rpm the car pulls really hard all the way to 6k+. With the added horsepower the car pulls much harder than M235i and my 435i due to its AWD grip and power advantage. This car is loud throughout the RPM range and makes amazing cracks and pops on upshifts and downshifts that never gets boring.

M235i: Also a great engine that is incredibly smooth under acceleration building power much lower in the rpm range with minimal turbo lag causing my tires to spin every time i accelerate from first gear. Although a great engine the power disadvantage and the RWD disadvantage causes the car to fall behind in the 0-60 department, though this is still a very fast car. This car also makes nice burbles when you upshift and downshift that are also nice but no where near as loud as the CLA45, though the Active sound makes the engine much louder inside the cabin than the CLA45.

Transmission

Although the CLA45 has a dual clutch transmission, I feel the downshifts are much more slower and delayed compared to the ZF8 found in the BMWs and only when going full throttle in the CLA45 does the CLA upshift faster than the BMW, even in race mode.

Both great transmissions, but I'd rather go with the ZF due to its consistency and downshift speed.

Practicality

In the practicality department, the CLA is the best choice due to its four doors with better leg room as well as the AWD system that is very useful in winter. If you live in a wintery location I would not drive the M235i as I myself have gotten stuck a few times in my 435i with snow tires.

------------------------------------------
I hope this helps get a starter perspective on the two cars, if you should have any information please feel free to message me.

Also, do not delve too deep into the comments on this forum and make sure to thoroughly test drive both cars before making your decision as they are both amazing cars to drive!

#25 ·
As the Mercedes is a FWD based all wheel system you wont get the fun of powersliding the car or getting the tail out through corners compared to the M235i and you should choose accordingly if you like to drift.
FYI theres an earlier test drive review video somewhere ... driver managed to drift the 45 through a curve and even the camera crews were surprised ?

#27 ·
I think they as in MB balanced the car for typical under steer with its front wheel drive roots but with some changes the car does become able to drift... For myself ecu tune, lighter summer wheel/tires... I can more easily slide...

#33 ·
Great color. Great headlights. Great rims.

Sexy car Bro. You won't be let down! :)

#34 ·
Congrats .
I see your in NY
Very brave parking it at the mall.
What's the milage on it .

#37 ·
Sorry I was late to this thread. I was going to say that another car should be added to this comparison. The GLA45. Faced with a similar choice, I went for the GLA45. (Price was a factor as well as I got a sweet deal on the GLA).

The car is awesome and in sport mode, VSA OFF, and with manual control of the tranny, you can get the rear end to slide. It's no drifter but fun.

Good luck with the CLA45

#42 ·
Do you prefer stick over auto?
I can't really consider a gt350 mainly because it's a stick shift and I was never taught how to use one, and I'm usually in traffic for most of my days lol.

#44 ·
The thing about the GT350... like most domestics... it puts up such high numbers yet the performance is the same as the CLA45. V8 526 HP... to a lot of people they'd rather have the V8 than "pay through the nose for a 4-banger". For me the hand built most-powerful 4-banger in production has more cachet than 'just another underperforming V8".

In comparison, I'd actually take the GT350R over the C63 based on price/performance.

But if you prefer RWD and MT then the GT350 is the right choice.

#45 ·
GT350 is not really in the same class as a CLA45/M2

Performance wise its there, but its not really a 'luxury' vehicle, its a muscle car.

The GT350 just like the M2, are rwd 2 door cars.

To me, any American car just isn't going to have that 'finesse' factor that an AMG or M-Series does, its all about power in the 'american muscle' category.

I would never DD a full on manual.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.