Mercedes CLA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I am grateful that the new CLA45 AMG is a lot cheaper than the C63, I am annoyed that MB decided to introduce AMG styling across every model variant.

There is not enough differentiation between the actual AMG and the other models with AMG kit. Besides the turbo badges and grill, its hard to pick the difference.

I'm predicting a HUGE amount of CLA200's with AMG kit, which is great for their owners. But for CLA45 owners, theirs will seem like every other CLA.
It will lose its luster.

I'd probably get a lot of hate mail for this, but its troubling me...

·
Registered
896 Posts
i dont really mind who notices my car ever, and i know that for my cla45, the only people i may want to notice, will notice

but im buying this car for me . . yes it doesn't look that much diff from reg cla, but its for me, me , me

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
While I am grateful that the new CLA45 AMG is a lot cheaper than the C63, I am annoyed that MB decided to introduce AMG styling across every model variant.

There is not enough differentiation between the actual AMG and the other models with AMG kit. Besides the turbo badges and grill, its hard to pick the difference.

I'm predicting a HUGE amount of CLA200's with AMG kit, which is great for their owners. But for CLA45 owners, theirs will seem like every other CLA.
It will lose its luster.

I'd probably get a lot of hate mail for this, but its troubling me...
I agree, there is many reasons to get an AMG and you don't want to see it watered down. But at the end of the day you'll be the one driving a true AMG and not one that is dressed up to look like one.

Sent from my iPhone using Mercedes CLA Forum mobile app

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
It bugs me a bit -- I commented on this a while ago in a separate thread --but at the end of the day I know my car's going to do 0-60 in ~4 secs and the guy with the 250 with an AMG kit will take almost 3 secs more. I will also know that my car will handle like a proper AWD sports sedan. Even if MB had done more to differentiate the bodies the aftermarket would (and will) provide body kits to give base cars a more AMG-like or aggressive appearance. I also think most cars will come without an AMG kit. Most car buyers aren't driving enthusiasts. People who buy the CLA are going to flock to the brand because of the logo on the front end. "A Mercedes for the same price as my Camry? That's a no-brainer."

-Eric

·
Registered
103 Posts
Yeah, it bugs me a bit too. But at the same time, this is part of the reason I picked the AMG over say a porsche boxster (only people that matters will notice it).

Also we have the option to add AMG specific options.

Such as the 19inch wheel, the night package, the carbon fiber pack, the AMG seats, red brakes and etc...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No flames yet, so that's nice!

Its going to attract a lot of new and younger buyers, which is exactly what they want.

I agree the aftermarket industry will have an AMG kit, if MB doesn't offer one, but that's a lot more effort!
Whereas now, a buyer who has no idea what AMG is will walk in and tick the 'sporty' option.

First world problems I know!

If they offered the Black.. That would be yummy

·
Registered
328 Posts
I hear what you're saying, but everyone I have shown the car to (who are granted not into cars like we are) think it looks amazing. So even if if most peeps don't understand the power the car possesses they'll still dig it all the same. I also think most people don't understand how Mercedes models work anyway, meaning that some cost 50k but another model which looks rather similar could cost 100k more.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
I've noticed recently that not even a lot of people know what a AMG is so....

·
Registered
371 Posts
Talk about not looking different enough.. My E63 looks like any other regular E class except different wheels and brake calipers that said "AMG"... LOL

·
Registered
178 Posts
No flames yet, so that's nice!

Its going to attract a lot of new and younger buyers, which is exactly what they want.

I agree the aftermarket industry will have an AMG kit, if MB doesn't offer one, but that's a lot more effort!
Whereas now, a buyer who has no idea what AMG is will walk in and tick the 'sporty' option.

First world problems I know!

If they offered the Black.. That would be yummy
Brabus is in the works for an Amg kit

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Mercedes CLA Forum mobile app

·
Registered
294 Posts
It's true that a CLA250 dressed up with the Sport package is very similar to the base CLA45, But I doubt that there will be many base CLA45's running around. There are several CLA45 exclusive exterior options to help differentiate. Two 19" wheels, AMG Red Calipers, Night Package, Quad Exhaust tips, .... I prefer subtle differences and am glad that MB didn't add a bunch of cheesy plastic ground effects and other stuff just to make it look different.

That being said, it would have been nice if the rear deck lid (boot) spoiler was a CLA45 standard feature and an exclusive paint color could have been a nice differentiator.

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
I've noticed recently that not even a lot of people know what a AMG is so....
Yep...I've said it more times than I can remember but online forums aren't reflective of the real world. We're a bunch of car nuts. We know more about the darn cars than most dealers. Most of the buying public doesn't know squat about the cars they're looking at-- even when they think they do. They find their salespeople to be informative ("ooh, I didn't know it had ABS"); whereas salespeople likely feel pestered by the inane details nuts like us seek about the cars that interest us ("is ILS available in the US, if not, when and how do the foglights function without it?"). Am I right, JP? lol

People who closely follow Mercedes Benz or performance cars generally know about AMG. That's why most CLA buyers will buy their 250s without a sports package/AMG kit. Most will be more than satisfied by the CLA simply knowing that their new car brandishes a three pointed star on its nose. Think about the number of Camrys that Toyota puts on the road each year. That is is the common denominator...the average car buyer. They care far more about cupholders than handling...otherwise they'd be driving something else. :) Apologies to any Camry owners among us.

Seriously, who really needs a 355hp sedan that does 0-60 in 4 seconds? Pssst...I do!!!!! :D

-Eric

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thankfully Camrys are about $30-40k here in Oz and the base CLA200 starts from $60k. So it shouldn't convert too many of the Camry crowd in Australia!

·
Registered
294 Posts
While the CLA is intended to appeal to a younger and broader audience, let's hope that it doesn't become as commonplace as some of the mass market models from other manufacturers. I've always enjoyed a little more exclusively with the MB brand. I don't want to see 10 CLA's at every stop light. Thankfully, I don't believe that MB manufacturing could keep up with a massive worldwide demand for the CLA series.

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
Thankfully Camrys are about $30-40k here in Oz and the base CLA200 starts from $60k. So it shouldn't convert too many of the Camry crowd in Australia!
In the good old U.S. of A the Camry's price can ranges between $26K-$34K (depending on the variant and engine you choose). And a V6 Camry makes just south of 270hp. Not bad for a grocery getter...especially considering the CLA's base engine only makes 208hp and it costs $30K. Someone willing to spend a little more can easily transition into a CLA if they wanted to do so. While the Camry is far more practical it will still lack the CLA's curb appeal.

Thankfully, I don't believe that MB manufacturing could keep up with a massive worldwide demand for the CLA series.
That is until they open shop in Mexico and start building them there as has been discussed. Infiniti is going to use the platform for their own car, too. I don't think you'll see 10 at every light but I don't think they're going to be rare if they sell as intended.

-Eric

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I don't think you'll see 10 at every light but I don't think they're going to be rare if they sell as intended.

-Eric
That's what I am afraid of. Too many CLAs with AMG kits, making what was a special car, seem pedestrian.

I'm also starting to see people refer to their CLA200 w/kit as ".. my CLA AMG..."
Is it, really?

Flame suit on

·
Registered
294 Posts
This discussion thread represents much of the thought process that I went through before deciding on the CLA45. It's different enough from the CLA250 for me and to further ensure some level of exclusively, I ordered the $1750 USD designo Patagonia Red.

·
Registered
294 Posts
That is until they open shop in Mexico and start building them there as has been discussed. Infiniti is going to use the platform for their own car, too. I don't think you'll see 10 at every light but I don't think they're going to be rare if they sell as intended.-Eric
Even if the CLA series turns out to be very popular, we're still going to enjoy at least a couple years where there will be relatively few on the road. We can enjoy the fresh and new design before volume production and competitors can catch up. I'm not going to worry about a new plant in Mexico or anywhere else that would take years to come on line. By then I'll have moved on to something else fresh and new.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.