Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
I read the review and I definitely think they expect too much of the engine and transmission. They mention nothing of the price point of this car vs. the cars they are comparing it to (ie, 8 speed transmission VW's and BMW's).

I can't disagree more with their assessment of the looks of the vehicle from the side.

All in all, the article is short on any type of substance and just seems to fault the car for the tranny and anemic engine. This isn't a performance car and I realize that, so I don't expect it to be.

They didn't mention anything about the interior at all?

I hope they do a more thorough review.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All in all, the article is short on any type of substance and just seems to fault the car for the tranny and anemic engine. This isn't a performance car and I realize that, so I don't expect it to be.
I agree. The review was way too short and smacked of a work product that was hastily put together.

I can appreciate that Top Gear would be all about performance as that's their thing, but some feedback on how they found the interior would also help.

·
Registered
730 Posts
The good news... I'm not getting a CLA220CDI, I'm getting a CLA250! :D

Very weak'sauce review, admittledly! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Today's Autocar also suitably unimpressed....
Top Gear are too biased to rich man's toys, and are usually unfair to the general market motors, this car 'fits' middle management fed up with BMW quality issues (me!!lol) and wives of the middle classes, plus those who want fast but not big, however they never cease to trivalise this key sector.

The Autocar report is ok; 3.5 / 5 stars, knocking the rear seating and rear view - probably fair comments!!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Bagging on the looks? That is totally subjective, there will be plenty of people that love the aesthetics. The tranny performance is something I will judge for myself. A lot of times these things are grossly exaggerated. The CLA is not a high performance MBZ for crying out loud, lets not expect it to perform like one.

I take reviews (good and bad) with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
381 Posts
It's funny how some comments would never fly in the USA.... "CLA does 0-62mph in 8.2 seconds. PERFECTLY RESPECTABLE NUMBERS."

Granted, I understand it's a diesel, but slow is slow.

·
Registered
381 Posts
They say that colors make a big difference, but they don't say how so? Which colors make it look good?

·
Registered
315 Posts
What do expect from people who drive on the wrong side of the road!!! :wink:

Just kidding!!!

We're getting the higher hp engine here and like the Autoblog review said about hp:

" there is an unadvertised overboost effect during kickdown with one's foot to the floor, which results in roughly 13 more hp and 15 more lb-ft of torque for brief bursts."

That'll help putting your backside further into the seat!!!

As I said in another post, I'll wait until I get behind the wheel and drive it to make up my own mind. Reviews are great and all, but they are VERY subjective based on the reviewer.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Did I read that right from the article? 62.8 MILES PER GALLON ? It may be sluggish and clattery but that kind of mileage would put an even more vapid Toyota Prius to shame !!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts