Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 fitted with a NTG4 and was wondering if I can just replace it with a NTG5.1 and then get android auto unlocked on it?

I think I read I may also need to upgrade the USB in the armrest as well?

Or is there more to it ?

TIA

Mark

·
Registered
9,959 Posts
Recall seeing some foreign threads on something similar ... the hardware and wiring aint so bad its the firmware and coding
Even folks who had 2015s with early 5.1 firmware could not just add the usb outlets and be done
Think its at least 5*1 head units plus all sorts of coding tricks
But hey its been 4 years there may be a hack thread out there somewhere

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that, do you know if I put the ntg5.1 unit in place of the NTG4 would that work normally without any coding i.e. work just like the NTG4, I would then look at android auto on it in slow time?

·
Registered
9,959 Posts
Coding is needed cant get out of that
You could also just go straight to one of those aftermarket systems ... integrates with ntg4.x and provides android auto / apple carplay etc etc

·
Registered
527 Posts
There are other options than to retrofit. I just purchased a JoyeAuto Carplay/Android Auto piggyback unit. It keeps everything OME, except it overrides a button to switch to the carplay/aa mode. I know they have to separate models. One for NTG 5.0/5.2+ and another for 4.5/4.7

https://www.joyeauto.com/category/mercedes-wireless-apple-carplay-solution/

Ill be installing mine next week hopefully. I tried every local dealer and they said I could do nothing aside from doing a complete head unit retrofit - which was quoted at $8k+ lol.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Ill be installing mine next week hopefully. I tried every local dealer and they said I could do nothing aside from doing a complete head unit retrofit - which was quoted at $8k+ lol.
Did you try installing it yet? Does the product come with everything you need? I'm specifically wondering if you need any special tools. (a friend broke my windshield before because of an out-of-spec vent removal tool)

·
Registered
9,959 Posts
Did you try installing it yet? Does the product come with everything you need? I'm specifically wondering if you need any special tools. (a friend broke my windshield before because of an out-of-spec vent removal tool)
Oh yes watch your background when working on these cars ...
I put thick towels everywhere

·
Registered
527 Posts
I was going to do it today. Annoyingly yes, you do need a specific part to remove the circular air vents. I looked up the part #A140589023300. Its annoyingly pricy for a hook...Im trying to find one on eBay <$10 cause I really don't wanna damage anything. But there is a youtube video online that shows a guy clip a wire hanger into the hook.

Once I do it, I'll do a write up cause no one seems to have a good install video for it.

But here are the videos I am going to use.
CLA Head unit removal
JoyeAuto/Unichip/Unique Auto Developments Wiring

1 - 8 of 8 Posts