Mercedes CLA Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I picked up my 250 P+ in March I specifically asked MB about "Running In".
Their answer was:
"With today's modern engineering practices it's no longer absolutely necessary, but it's always a good idea to stay below 3500 rpm for the first 1000 miles"
So I stuck to this diligently and now, having done 1200 miles the fun can begin.
My question is, before the fun starts should the engine oil be changed?
I will be doing around 8-10,000 miles a year.
Any advice or opinions will assist in making an informed decision.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
...Any advice or opinions will assist in making an informed decision.
Also, be assured that your CLA will message you when service is absolutely required.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Yes, on all the models I'm familiar with... the dealer re-sets the computer after each service. (You have the most advanced CLA.)

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Will software/alarm resets be required after the oil is replaced?
Honestly, from my experience and talking to mechanics, the factory fill should not be changed until the indicated time. It's all part of the "running in" the engine. After ~ 2000 miles, you can have a bit of fun with no concerns of damage to the engine. Of course, I don't think you want to redline your engine for sustained 30secs, or do frequent 7000 rpm jack-rabbit starts. After the factory setting of oil change at 10,000 miles or 1 year , you can resume to a more frequent oil change like every 5000 miles or every 6 months, especially as your CLA age past 3 years.

Occasionally, I accidentally forgot to take my DCT out of "M" mode, and stepped on the gas and redlined it for like 10 secs, seems okay thus far.

You could spend the money to do the early oil change now on literally a brand new car, and you don't need to reset the maintenance reminder, but I don't think it's necessary. JMHO

Reactions: Geo K

·
Registered
12,979 Posts
in the old days the tolerances and flashing meant changing the (nondetergent) oil after 1-2k and count the little metal pieces in the strainer and check the oil discoloration for surface scrubbing particulates
then refill with detergent oil and move on
but now the initial fills are detergent oil so kinda tough to analyze everything except looking for metal flakes … which you will find after the first 5k

1 - 7 of 7 Posts