Mercedes CLA Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon, and greetings from frigid Canada.

My wife has a 2018 CLA-250. I suggested recently she get an oil change as the car has 12,000 KM. She bought the car pre-owned with 6,000. She called her 'Mercedes Guy' at the dealership and he told her she has lots of room left, and that oil changes don't need to occur until every 20,000 KM.

I'm a little more old school. Dodge tells me my brand new RAM 1500 needs an oil change every 16,000 KM, but I do it every 7500 KM and I know that engine will sing until she rolls over 300,000.

I don't know much about Mercedes engines, but what actually is the manufacturer service recommendation and what intervals SHOULD we be servicing at? If it helps, there will be only synthetic oil at play here.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Every 20k km??? That's a little overdue for me. If you plan to trade it in eventually, MAYBE yes. Mercedes recommends oil change every 15-16k km (10,000 miles).

I plan to keep mine as long as it runs so I change my oil every 8k km (5000 miles).

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just stick to 10k miles or every 12 months whatever comes sooner.

Not a fan of longlife service intervals

Maybe if you keep the car for 3 years on a lease deal then it won't be your problem in a couple of years down the line then longlife servicing will be fine.

·
Registered
12,603 Posts
ever look through oil at 5k mi or 8k km?
try it
Squeeze drop between glass slides or similar like flat bottom glass cups
Get mag glass or eye glasses
Find sunny day (cloudy no good need point source at infinity ... ie nice clear sun image)
Focus sunlight to say 10mm spot (limit energy density to not cook it)
Project onto white paper
If it aint uniform blurr then there be mechanical particles captain

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I change out my oil and filter every 10K km or every 6 months, which ever comes first. Engine is still smooth and sweet after 5.5 years of ownership.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I change out my oil and filter every 10K km or every 6 months, which ever comes first. Engine is still smooth and sweet after 5.5 years of ownership.
Mine recently turned 8yo. 102k miles. Engine still smooth and still shifts like butter. Daily driver.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
...frigid Canada..what actually is the manufacturer service recommendation and what intervals SHOULD we be servicing at?....
Welcome to the CLA Forum TEN3ELEVEN:)
a) Your CLA will message you on your dash display when it needs an oil and filter change.
b) It will also describe the type of service - either A or B.
c) This message will appear each 10,000 miles / 16,100 km or 12 months, whichever is sooner.

Reactions: JustSynthetic.com

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
...If it helps, there will be only synthetic oil at play here.
Interesting, (Which do you mean?) - "100%" synthetic vs. "Fully" synthetic - This urns out to be a most interesting topic, almost like, What is the difference between Amsoil and Mobil1.
...And of course, to which oil are you referring.

Reactions: JustSynthetic.com

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I just had my oil/filter changed today with Mobil 1 0W40 and Mann oil filter (previously changed 6 months ago). Nice to have fresh engine oil flowing through the engine =)

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I just had my oil/filter changed today with Mobil 1 0W40 and Mann oil filter (previously changed 6 months ago). Nice to have fresh engine oil flowing through the engine =)
I have been using 0W40 weight engine oil after my prepaid maintenance service was used up (3 years/80,000 km). During the prepaid service, the dealer had been using 5W40, which works fine. But after I switched to 0W40 weight, I find that the car generally runs smoother and easier early morning cold starts.
I had been using Mobil 1, because where I am in Vancouver, Pennzoil does not carry the 0W40 weight, and I don't trust using Castrol Edge (from my experience with my 2000 BMW 330i, I know it's been over 21 years, and engine oil technology has moved along, but just my bad experience with it). I recently tried using the 0W40 synthetic oil made by shell and sold under the brand name "OE Motormaster" and it seems to be as good as Mobil 1.

·
Registered
12,603 Posts
yeah i second the 5w40 issue ... even tried the expensive liquimoly stuff
louder cold starts longer klanking time
gas mileage a tad worse
not really worth extra $ over m1 0w40
guess the oil pump and delivery system flow rate really tuned for 0w40

·
Registered
2016 CLA 250 2.0L 4matic
30 Posts
5W40 would be no good in Canadian winters lol. I do my oil every 5000km like a weirdo but I love that "fresh oil, smooth engine" feel. I also like doing my oil in October/November so when it gets really cold here (Jan/Feb), the oil is slightly thinner than when it went in (oil tends to get slightly thinner during its usable life before getting much much thicker when its well overdue). Thin oil circulates through the engine much better after cold starts.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
5W40 would be no good in Canadian winters lol. I do my oil every 5000km like a weirdo but I love that "fresh oil, smooth engine" feel. I also like doing my oil in October/November so when it gets really cold here (Jan/Feb), the oil is slightly thinner than when it went in (oil tends to get slightly thinner during its usable life before getting much much thicker when its well overdue). Thin oil circulates through the engine much better after cold starts.
I agree, but if you are living in British Columbia, winters are relatively mild, nothing colder than -10C, and most of the time between 0-5C. 5W40 works okay here. But 0W40 is optimal.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts