Mercedes CLA Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the engine cover off and discovered this. What would be leaking from this area?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Was this there anytime prior? Looks like a cleaning gel application .....
Jmc this is the first time I have taken the cover off. Did t know it was so easy.

So you don’t think this is a leak?

·
Registered
12,507 Posts
Jmc this is the first time I have taken the cover off. Did t know it was so easy.
So you don’t think this is a leak?
Yeah dont think so and David170s comment is your first chore ... gotta see where the origination is??

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah dont think so and David170s comment is your first chore ... gotta see where the origination is??
Well I am making an appointment this week for the belt noise issue should just have them look at that too since I am under warranty?

·
Registered
12,507 Posts
Well I am making an appointment this week for the belt noise issue should just have them look at that too since I am under warranty?
That may work ... hope they just dont wipe it clean and have you come back later if it shows up again ...

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
that's pretty close to the return lines for the turbo. Follow the silver tube to the inlet and inspect for leakage. that was were my car leaked and my sa told me that is a common area to have leaks occur.

·
Registered
12,507 Posts
that's pretty close to the return lines for the turbo. Follow the silver tube to the inlet and inspect for leakage. that was were my car leaked and my sa told me that is a common area to have leaks occur.
Good point ...

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
These lines? If so I didn’t see any leaks.

Here is an undershot of the intake tube to the turbo.

·
Registered
12,507 Posts
a possibility is some oil/grease film got onto the surface at the factory and over time it just spread ... cuz surroundings look clean enough?

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Looks pretty clean. I would wipe the area thoroughly and see if it reappears? Its probably what JMC said!

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well they determined it needed an new turbo intake seal and it is on order.

Reactions: Rapidfirerob

·
Registered
12,507 Posts
Well they determined it needed an new turbo intake seal and it is on order.
Geee ... that much blow back getting past that seal? Though I suppose its a little bit of stuff per trip over a long period of time.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Geee ... that much blow back getting past that seal? Though I suppose its a little bit of stuff per trip over a long period of time.
Idk. I think they just saw the sheen and said we will replace the seal just to be sure. The oil that was on the tube itself was like clean oil not oil that had been in the engine for anytime. I get my car back Friday. I still think someone spilled some oil then just didn’t clean it up good. I will ask if there was oil in the intake tube.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Would be worth it to take a look at the engine cover. If anything is spraying, chances are that there will be a similar
oily spot on the inside of it ( matching the location of the oily spot on the air intake tube).
I remember taking off that intake tube when I changed my plugs, and it was pretty oily inside. I think a bad Oetiker clamp
is plausible. Spilled oil is also plausible. I agree with folks who recommend cleaning the spot, to see if it is the latter.

·
Registered
12,507 Posts
I remember taking off that intake tube when I changed my plugs, and it was pretty oily inside. I think a bad Oetiker clamp
Whoa ... oil inside the intake tube?
Geee if its getting past the turbo then its going thru the fmic too then yes?
Or is it coming from a side pipe from that messy venting system?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts