Mercedes CLA Forum banner

Is the CLA's suspension harsh or soft?

• It's harsh (CLA 250/45 sport suspension owner)

Votes: 48 30.6%
  • It's just right (CLA 250/45 sport suspension owner)

Votes: 66 42.0%
  • It's too soft (CLA 250/45 sport suspension owner)

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • It's harsh (CLA 45 AMG performance suspension owner)

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • It's just right (CLA 45 AMG performance suspension owner)

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • It's too soft (CLA 45 AMG performance suspension owner)

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • It's just right (CLA 250 comfort suspension owner)

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • It's too harsh (CLA 250 comfort suspension owner)

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • It's too soft (CLA 250 comfort suspension owner)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So there's been plenty of talk lately about just how harsh the CLA's suspension is, and there's been talk from others saying they don't find it harsh. So in the poll choose whether or not you find the ride to be harsh then post what cars you've owned in the past, which suspension you have, what cars you've ridden in the past and compare the ride of your CLA to them. Hopefully this post will allow others to see which suspension will be right for them when purchasing a CLA based off others experiences and what cars they have owned in the past.

So here's my post. I own a CLA 45 AMG with the performance suspension. My past rides were a 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI (when I was a learners driver), and a 2013 VW GTI. Compared to those I believe that my CLA 45's ride isn't too much harsher. I believe it's a perfect balance between sportiness (You actually can feel the road) and comfort. I also personally find it to be extremely similar to my ex GTI's suspension

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Current: CLA 250

2012 Altima Coupe
2010 VW CC Run Flats
2004 VW Passat 4Motion
2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5

A Toyota, Ford Minivan, two Saab 99s

All had a slightly softer ride except for the CC and Subaru.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
i dont own a CLA yet but I have test driven it twice
Past Cars owned/driven for extended period of times
Nissan Altima
Toyota Corolla
Honda Accord
Lexus ES330
Lexus RX350
Lexus IS350

The CLA 250 has a much harsher ride than all the cars listed above. Well unless you are in crappy roads I woudlnt say it's harsh but stiff. I've never driven a GTI long term but I have driven one before I think your comparison with the GTI suspension is a good one. I would say they are pretty comparable with regards to comfort and stiffness.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have had a lot of stiff riding cars. Most recent include a 1995 Z-28 Camaro, a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Up Country Suspension Group), a 2000 Chevy S-10 Pickup, a 2000 Corvette C5 Convertible and a 2008 Honda Civic coupe.

All of those had rides that I'm sure some would describe a downright nasty. I really like the way my CLA 250 Sport rides, I think its just right.

But the true test isn't really me, its my wife, who currently owns two Lexus vehicles. She is very sensitive to ride quality. As an example, she once bought a new set of tires for her Lexus ES at the dealership. She drove around on them for a couple of weeks and hated what she felt was a deterioration in ride quality. She made the dealership remove the tires, give her a new set of a tires by a different maker, plus refund her the cost difference. She's serious about it, obviously.

She really disliked riding in my former cars because of the uncomfortable ride quality of them all. But she likes the ride of my CLA very much and, in fact, urged me to buy the CLA over a couple of competitors I was considering.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Not harsh for me, actually softer than a Mitsubishi 3000GT I had for a good few years prior. I had a bit of a problem with the 3000GT getting in and out of my driveway because of the front clearance same applies to my CLA. I have to come in/out at an angle to avoid scraping the front lip.

Sent from my Z30 using Mercedes CLA Forum mobile app

·
Registered
645 Posts
It's all a matter of opinion. I test drove both the C350 and the CLA. I found the CLA to be a better, firmer and more connected feel for me. The C class and E class is a completely different car and feel. The CLA is a sports coupe it is not a cushy heavy feeling luxury car.

Sent from my iPhone using Mercedes CLA Forum

·
Registered
276 Posts
The sport suspensions for the 250 vs the 45 are different. Wheels and tires make a difference also. For the 45 I think the standard sport suspension w 19"s and non-runflats is just right.

For the 250, if you're getting the non-AMG model you wouldn't expect a stiff/harsh ride. Run-flats make this worse.

·
Registered
684 Posts
You want harsh. My son and I lowered my 2003 Civic Si , put 17x8 inch rims on it, and put in performance shocks. That's harsh.

It's hilarious watching him avoid pot holes and any road imperfections as he didn't know how harsh the ride would be.

Still he keep telling me "the car needs more low".

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
I don't own it yet, so I can't say. Scheduled build, tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I wouldn't called "harsh", but stiff with good dampening , it doesn't bothers to the point that you could hate it, it actually it is very nice, it lets you feel the road; it wont go over bump stops like other cars do.

After all it's a Sport package it is supposed to be stiff and feel solid, like a Porsche,

D.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Nissan Altima
Toyota Corolla
Honda Accord
Lexus ES330
Lexus RX350
Lexus IS350

The CLA 250 has a much harsher ride than all the cars listed above.
That's because (no offense) each of the other cars was intended to be driven like a Barcalounger (with the exception of the IS350). There is nothing remotely sporting about any of the other vehicles on your list. The ES is a Camry and even the RX350 is a Camry SUV. Toyota took a car that was already softly suspended, increased its ride height and made it even softer. Riding in a CLA isn't like riding in a big luxury sedan. It is, however, not unlike riding in any other similarly sized German sport sedan. Test drive a 1 series or A3 and see if it feels materially different. FWIW, I think a lot of the complaints are really related to the 250's RFTs (more than the suspension itself).

I'm also urious how many owners who came from or currently own other similarly sized European (especially German) cars find the CLA's suspension to be harsh.

-Eric

·
Registered
301 Posts
I'm also urious how many owners who came from or currently own other similarly sized European (especially German) cars find the CLA's suspension to be harsh.

-Eric
I don't find the 45 harsh. It's exactly what I expected it to be. Similar road feedback to my stock 911. Ich liebe es. :)

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
I don't find the 45 harsh. It's exactly what I expected it to be. Similar road feedback to my stock 911. Ich liebe es. :)
I don't find the 45 to be harsh either. It's funny that you draw the comparison with the 911. I find my C4S to be firmer than our 45 but my wife thinks the 911 is softer! lol I can't win.

-Eric

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
That's because (no offense) each of the other cars was intended to be driven like a Barcalounger (with the exception of the IS350). There is nothing remotely sporting about any of the other vehicles on your list. The ES is a Camry and even the RX350 is a Camry SUV. Toyota took a car that was already softly suspended, increased its ride height and made it even softer. Riding in a CLA isn't like riding in a big luxury sedan. It is, however, not unlike riding in any other similarly sized German sport sedan. Test drive a 1 series or A3 and see if it feels materially different. FWIW, I think a lot of the complaints are really related to the 250's RFTs (more than the suspension itself).

-Eric
yup totally agree :)

I forgot to mention i also drove a BMW 135i for about 5 months. I havent driven the CLA enough to make a comparison but I think the 1 series while stiff felt a bit better over bumps. Im not too concerned anymore about the CLA though given that it looks like the comfort suspension is going to be available on non-sport package cars. I wasn't planning on getting the sport package anyways so looks like I'll get what i want :)

edit: you may be right about the RFT. I also test drove the A3 and BMW 2 series on the same crappy stretch of road. I would say the A3 and BMW 228i faired a bit better. I think I may have posted too much on this subject and gave the wrong impression though. While I think the ride is a bit stiff, I was still intent on getting the CLA and it didnt sway me away from getting the car.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
As I've mentioned before in other threads, I probably wouldn't be thinking about this if it weren't so thoroughly addressed here. I'm mostly intrigued that people say better-riding tires make a night and day difference.

Before I bought the car, I read the reviews, did extensive test drives in two states, and decided I liked it. Then I drove 5 to 8 hours a day across Europe in near-freezing conditions on summer run-flats, and never gave it a moment's thought because it rode like a dream.

I'm much more conscious of jolts in Los Angeles, where potholes and sleeping policemen abound (really disappointed no one got that), and am inclined to agree with those who have swapped out their tires that the culprit is not the suspension.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Today I threw my car around for a bit on Coldwater Canyon, Mulholland Drive, and Laurel Canyon Blvd, and the suspension was superlative.

I admit it's no fun to go over potholes. Of course, that's true in any car I've ever driven.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Today I threw my car around for a bit on Coldwater Canyon, Mulholland Drive, and Laurel Canyon Blvd, and the suspension was superlative.

I admit it's no fun to go over potholes. Of course, that's true in any car I've ever driven.
And you didn't find any sleeping policemen in the canyons???

Sent from my iPhone using Mercedes CLA Forum

·
Registered
53 Posts
sorry if this has been answered already but does the cla250 with the sport package have the exact suspension as the standard suspension in the CLA45?

thanks

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
sorry if this has been answered already but does the cla250 with the sport package have the exact suspension as the standard suspension in the CLA45?

thanks
Yes the CLA 250 sport suspension is the same one as the CLA 45's standard suspension. (From what I remember at least)

1 - 20 of 102 Posts