Mercedes CLA Forum banner

Is the CLA's suspension harsh or soft?

• It's harsh (CLA 250/45 sport suspension owner)

Votes: 48 30.6%
  • It's just right (CLA 250/45 sport suspension owner)

Votes: 66 42.0%
  • It's too soft (CLA 250/45 sport suspension owner)

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • It's harsh (CLA 45 AMG performance suspension owner)

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • It's just right (CLA 45 AMG performance suspension owner)

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • It's too soft (CLA 45 AMG performance suspension owner)

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • It's just right (CLA 250 comfort suspension owner)

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • It's too harsh (CLA 250 comfort suspension owner)

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • It's too soft (CLA 250 comfort suspension owner)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
61 - 80 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Can somebody provide some experience on the ride comfort of a sport suspension after changing tires from run flats to non run flats

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
It's a good improvement, but just to note my change was from:

Summer Sport Goodyear F1 RFT to All Season none-RFT

Absorbs little bumps much better than the RFT, not as noisy, corners better, looks better (new tires are physically wider) and much better grip on wet/snow/ice.

Also noticed that the GoodYear F1 RFT wear out very FAST!

Still my CLA doesn't like uneven surfaces, it has sport suspension after all and I like it, but I won't go back to the RFT for sure.

Most of my driving is highway in good conditions and I avoid driving in bad roads (Boston Downtown)

D.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Can somebody provide some experience on the ride comfort of a sport suspension after changing tires from run flats to non run flats
At the advice of some on this forum, I replaced OEM Bridgestone Potenzas with Michelin Pilot Super Sports, and after a week had them replaced with Pilot Sport A/S 3s because there was very little difference in ride comfort. The A/S 3s showed about 15% improvement.

Interestingly, it seemed (and I emphasize the verb, since this is highly subjective) that replacing the air with nitrogen in both Michelin sets improved the ride. I have no idea why this would be the case, but both Michelins felt different to me before and after, and I had them inflated to 39 psi all around.

My recommendation, for what it's worth: stick with the tires you have until you need new ones, and try swapping out the air for nitrogen. It's a lot cheaper than a new set of tires, and can't hurt.

If you want to further improve the ride, your choices are limited, since they don't make grand touring tires in CLA size. Your only choices in non-runflats are other performance tires, and they have the same low profile; but the A/S 3s made a noticeable difference.

Of course, you've just paid close to a grand (or more) to sacrifice run-flat protection, so now you have to prepare for roadside safety. I elected to use PermaSeal:

PermaSeal Tire Sealant | Home Page

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thanks 2katman2 for the advice. What I haggle right now is to get the sport package (which has the comfort suspension) or the sport package plus (which has the sport suspension). Based on what I'm reading in this forum the sport suspension is really stiff. Though my initial pic was the sport package plus. Now that in MY15, sport package has the comfort suspension, I'm leaning towards it. Though I'm trying to find ways if the change of tires (RF to NRF) will improve the sport suspension of sport package plus. Because I really want that option especially with the exhaust, exterior and interior features. MB should have given the option to get either comfort or sport suspension to all 250

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
MB should have given the option to get either comfort or sport suspension to all 250
Making every option available a la carte would be a logistical nightmare, and would make it very difficult to sell a car from dealer stock ("this is exactly what I want, except for the cup holders in the rear..."). There is some logic to pairing a sport suspension with a sport-equipped car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am very glad to find this thread. I am interested in purchasing a CLA45.

I have driven the CLA250 sport, all CLA45's are accounted for in my area.

I drove the A3 sport, and CLA250 sport back to back. The audi has the superior ride by far, but the CLA250 was more engaging to drive.

I have owned and driven a plethora of cars, mostly all sport oriented. I find the ride of the CLA250 sport jarring and harsher than it has to be. I recently had a Neon SRT-4 will complete poly urethane bushing kit installed, the CLA250 I test drove rode was more jarring and abrupt than the SRT-4. In fact, out of the 50 + cars(I'll spare you the list) I have owned, the only cars I can think of that had a worse ride was my 2002 Firehawk with 1LE suspension, and my 2005 Crossfire SRT-6.

I was lucky enough to find a GLA45 that wasn't sold, test drove that. I found the ride just about perfect.

All CLA45's are accounted for in my area. So I have to order one. My question is how does the CLA45 with base suspension compare to the CLA250 Sport? For those that drove PP CLA45 and base CLA45, how does that compare to the base CLA45?

To me all this could be resolved with magnetic dampeners, an option I'd gladly pay for when ordering my CLA45.

TIA for your feedback.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Ride is definitely stiff. Reminds me of my M5 after I put coilovers on it. Don't really mind it though as, unlike the M5, the ride hasn't bottomed out. The understeer is a little harder to get used too. 😁 Not sure what scares me more; plowing through a corner or losing my tail end in the BMW. 😁

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have a 2014 cla250 fwd it is stiff and harsh for sure, i have to actively slow down or avoid most imperfections on the road or i get jarring bumps. i have owned a 2014 mazda 3 and compare to that i like the way the cla corners, it feels less "floaty" . On the mazda when i hit imperfections on the road it dampens it where i feel it pushes me up and lets me down quickly but gently, however on the cla it feels like it just slams and not much dampening at all. Do I like it? no do i think its harsh/stiff? yes. I can live with it and it doesn't bother me too much I like most everything else about the car.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I have a 2014 cla250 fwd it is stiff and harsh for sure, i have to actively slow down or avoid most imperfections on the road or i get jarring bumps. i have owned a 2014 mazda 3 and compare to that i like the way the cla corners, it feels less "floaty" . On the mazda when i hit imperfections on the road it dampens it where i feel it pushes me up and lets me down quickly but gently, however on the cla it feels like it just slams and not much dampening at all. Do I like it? no do i think its harsh/stiff? yes. I can live with it and it doesn't bother me too much I like most everything else about the car.
Depending on the type of road bumps, the CLA sport suspension tends to either ride it well, or feels a little harsh. But I would rather this and feel well planted in my driving, than feeling cushy and floating around. Definitely more engaging than other suspensions in other makes.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
I am very glad to find this thread. I am interested in purchasing a CLA45.

I have driven the CLA250 sport, all CLA45's are accounted for in my area.

I drove the A3 sport, and CLA250 sport back to back. The audi has the superior ride by far, but the CLA250 was more engaging to drive.

I have owned and driven a plethora of cars, mostly all sport oriented. I find the ride of the CLA250 sport jarring and harsher than it has to be. I recently had a Neon SRT-4 will complete poly urethane bushing kit installed, the CLA250 I test drove rode was more jarring and abrupt than the SRT-4. In fact, out of the 50 + cars(I'll spare you the list) I have owned, the only cars I can think of that had a worse ride was my 2002 Firehawk with 1LE suspension, and my 2005 Crossfire SRT-6.

I was lucky enough to find a GLA45 that wasn't sold, test drove that. I found the ride just about perfect.

All CLA45's are accounted for in my area. So I have to order one. My question is how does the CLA45 with base suspension compare to the CLA250 Sport? For those that drove PP CLA45 and base CLA45, how does that compare to the base CLA45?

To me all this could be resolved with magnetic dampeners, an option I'd gladly pay for when ordering my CLA45.

TIA for your feedback.
According to the folks at AMG, the sport suspension isn't worth the value if you aren't going to track your car. Around town, they said, you won't see any benefit to handling. So, if you're not going to track your car, why get the harsher suspension? The stock suspension on the 45 leaves the car extremely flat in corners and is more than capable of handling the toughest twisties even when driven hard,

YMMV,
-Eric

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
According to the folks at AMG, the sport suspension isn't worth the value if you aren't going to track your car. Around town, they said, you won't see any benefit to handling. So, if you're not going to track your car, why get the harsher suspension? The stock suspension on the 45 leaves the car extremely flat in corners and is more than capable of handling the toughest twisties even when driven hard,

YMMV,
-Eric
Jedi 45, this question is right up your alley.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I have the sport suspension and the ride on city roads very comfortable but on the freeway the tires/ ride is very noisy!
Very happy with the highway noise level even at a steady 80mph.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I have the sport suspension and the ride on city roads very comfortable but on the freeway the tires/ ride is very noisy!
I'll have to add my assumptions that the sport package has a little bit more of road noise, specially at highway speeds... well the Trunk I'm sure causes a lot road noise in sport or not, but also all the plastic spoilers around and under the Sport version are hallow and these vibrate and create a rumble road noise that some how we can hear/feel inside the cabin.

I wish I could test a non sport and take some readings in decibels (db) to compare with a sport version... any body in central Massachusetts that would like to test?

my 2 cts

D.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Suspension in my sport CLA 250, is a little jarring when having to go over a pot-hole, otherwise, I find it to be very compliant and firm going around corners. No real complaints about it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I find it too harsh
I just got mine, its a 2015 cla250 comfort suspension, my roads around here are bumpy, will changing the tires from the run flats help?

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
I find it too harsh
I just got mine, its a 2015 cla250 comfort suspension, my roads around here are bumpy, will changing the tires from the run flats help?
Not enough to justify the expense (and waste.) I elaborated on your other thread.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I find the ride to be very rough. But this is coming from a guy who's driven a big body Cadillac the past 5 years that rides like a cloud. Once I get in my DTS I immediately feel a huge difference.

·
Registered
503 Posts
After a few months of ownership, I find the ride still kinda hard. Initially I said it was stiff and that is still true for me. Driving it around the city is fine, but if you kinda have a no tolerance of feeling bumps, the AMG sport suspension is a no-no

61 - 80 of 102 Posts