Mercedes CLA Forum banner

Is the CLA's suspension harsh or soft?

• It's harsh (CLA 250/45 sport suspension owner)

Votes: 48 30.8%
  • It's just right (CLA 250/45 sport suspension owner)

Votes: 66 42.3%
  • It's too soft (CLA 250/45 sport suspension owner)

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • It's harsh (CLA 45 AMG performance suspension owner)

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • It's just right (CLA 45 AMG performance suspension owner)

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • It's too soft (CLA 45 AMG performance suspension owner)

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • It's just right (CLA 250 comfort suspension owner)

Votes: 10 6.4%
  • It's too harsh (CLA 250 comfort suspension owner)

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • It's too soft (CLA 250 comfort suspension owner)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
81 - 100 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Coming from a wrx I would say it's quite soft by comparison.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Coming from a STI its about the same in ride comfort.

·
Registered
271 Posts
The main problem with this tread is that many people put the CLA with the sport package and the CLA non-sport which has the lowered comfort suspension in the same bag but there sure is a huge difference between the two. I agree 100% that the runflat tires add greatly to the problem regardless of the model. I have both RF for summer and non-RF for winter and can see a huge difference even with the comfort suspension (which I think is great).

To each his own preferences.

·
Registered
9,645 Posts
Some of us classic dudes are used to maxed out Koni shocks on nonprogressive springs that make even the best tires scrub off rubber like wiping away dirt and the smoothest roads feel like Colossus at Magic Mountain. My CLA is a smooooooth rider in comparison!

·
Registered
305 Posts
It's too soft on smooth roads and too harsh on rough roads. Just the opposite of what it should be.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Ummm if it should be reversed then thats too soft on rough roads and too harsh on smooth roads ��
Only when they can engineer the impossible, can they then engineer something that's smooth on harsh roads yet still gives enough feel on smooth roads.

·
Registered
9,645 Posts
Only when they can engineer the impossible, can they then engineer something that's smooth on harsh roads yet still gives enough feel on smooth roads.
I suppose ... though dynamic suspension is possible with extremely light weight articulations (hubble class carbon composites etc) advanced low stiction damping (mag or supercon) and a very fast (>500khz) strain and vibration feedback system ... but by that time one can buy two hollywood mansions 😜

·
Registered
15 Posts
The ride of my 2016 Edition:Orange is much less harsh than my previous 2014 CLA, with no compromise in handling. (Not to mention a BIG improvement in auto shifting.)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I love the suspension of my 2017 CLA 250 4matic. I just bought a set of 235 45 17s which my MB dealer advised against, saying the suspension was not tunes for 10 mm taller tires. But they are not run flats and will be much quieter and smoother. None the less, the stock 225 45 17s run flats are really good on smooth payment. Guess I'll' buy an inflation kit. Especially since I've not have a flat tire in 30 years, guess I'm due. Plus the run flats only go 50 miles, not so good if you are on a 800 mile trip.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I have comfort springs if anyone is interested in purchase

·
Registered
22 Posts
14' Sport suspension 250.

Very harsh. By far the worst suspension of any car I sat in. I think even communist cars ride better. But I think riding in a horse carriage would be slightly worse... although they do have those 8 feet wide wheels that probably help smooth out bumps, so I don't know... maybe a horse carriage is better. But if you're in a back of peasant trailer from like year 1705 hauled by horses riding 17" wood wheels... then maybe it would be worse? Next time I'd doing yard work I'll sit on a yard card and have my wife pull me, see if it rides worse than CLA. Something's gotta! lol

My good weather DD is 13' BMW 328 convertible... I recently switched to CLA for the winter. My god! I didn't know that the road to my work had 265 034 281 890 potholes, bumps and ripples! I thought there were only 2 or 3... I was unaware of the other ones. Well, after driving the CLA I was made aware of every single one of them! While I was driving the BMW I always thought "our roads aren't as bad as they make them sound". Yes they are. :D

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
I’ve been driving my 14 for four years and don’t find it bad at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,645 Posts
Firm rough tough harsh ... etc etc etc ... saved my life a couple times already ... so I will stick with the ability to feel the road and have confidence in tread path placement
If and when they produce a high rate and high compliance suspension (cf a previous post) and devise the traction material to match guess we are stuck with useful vs notsouseful systems

81 - 100 of 102 Posts