Mercedes CLA Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cla recently crashed and after owning it for 2 years and lurking on this sub I can definitely say it was a decent car. First off it is the most beautiful car I’ve layed my eyes on. I was in high school when this car came out and I always wanted to own one. Fast forward to 2018 and after grinding I was finally able to purchase a demo model with all the bells and whistles. Great car I personally loved the interior and the head turns it gets. Gas is great if you drive slowly it is comparable to a Camry. Never had a major issue or done anything to it other than oil changes at 5000km and weekly hand washes. Now reliability for me was fine on big components but if you ever buy one of these don’t get all the bells and whistles. They are super annoying especially in Canada when the temperature drops the car constantly has electrical issues and once just straight up stopped on the road. Every morning there seemed to be a stupid new issue. Honestly after the horror stories on this sub and irl every day turning the car on gave me anxiety about if it’s the day it goes wrong. After a while the beauty wore off and I was stuck with a annoying car that beeps and bongs at everything I became afraid of driving fast and never used sport mode thinking the car could brick. Looking back now I miss the car but i would never buy a Mercedes in general again just the electrical issues alone. Furthermore, the Mercedes community is straight up toxic in terms of the cla. When I would even bring up the fact I have a cla or try and engage in discussion I would get riddled with hate messages online and irl but idk how buying a old 2012 e class somehow makes you superior to someone buying a new “cheap mercedes”. In conclusion the cla is good car in warranty and in my experience it is psychotic in cold climates.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Which electrical issue did you have most frequently in cold weather?
What did you eventually do about it?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Which electrical issue did you have most frequently in cold weather?
What did you eventually do about it?
The mirrors quit folding took to dealer happens in winter a lot (I keep car in garage so likely not ice). Then blind spot quit every other week it was so bad I just stopped using it and taking it to dealer. Also had to replace proximity sensors (those lil things around the bumper) I probably replaced em all around by the time it crashed. Also in really bad weather the screen wouldn’t turn on until the cabin was warm enough. I don’t think I talked about this but the car takes forever to warm up the cabin it is almost comical. In the summer it always worked winter is when this car went insane even the blindspot fixed itself in summer.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
The thermostat is a known fault issue, but some of our Canadian members may wish to comment.
What city are you near? Do you feel that the dealer was up to par?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The thermostat is a known fault issue, but some of our Canadian members may wish to comment.
What city are you near? Do you feel that the dealer was up to par?
I’m near Toronto. The dealership was definitely up to par good service all around. Mercedes definitely know how to treat a customer.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Like I said in previous posts, its likely that your car is one of those % of cars that manufacturing or parts reliability issues. Other cars have been running fine, mine had the issue of the gas filler flap that keeps popping open when the car is being driven or comes to a stop. Turns out to be some electrical contact issue , sensor, replaced under warranty and its done. Other than that, generally runs great and requires only main oil changes, but most recently , because its a GDI engine, my gas consumption was not as great, probably due to deposits, cleaned it up with a couple of bottles of Liqui-Moly Jectron. Running fine now.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have the same blind spot issue you brought up. It's pretty bad on my 2015 model, as the car needs to be turned on and off once before it works. No idea why that is the case.

As for toxicity, people in general will always find reasons to hate on others. I saw some dude driving an exotic car in Vancouver and a bunch of guys shouted "Still slower than a GTR" to him from curbside as he drove by. He wasn't even driving like a turd, but people still found a reason to put him down. People who know cars are probably the most judgemental....You should see how much hate 320i drivers get. To the remaining 90%+ of the population out there, you're in a snazzy Mercedes.

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
In cold climates even garaged batteries aint happy. If not tendered then especially after ignition the battery soc is so low the system has to shutdown certain systems lest the alternator circuits get overtaxed. Then even as engine and systems warm up the battery is still not under charge yet as the system has to bring up the systems that were shutdown earlier. Then when warmed up and engine load is finally low (like coasting to a light etc) the battery gets charged. But a poor battery just creates a vicious circle in terms of electronic systems and affects all sorts of stuff from climate control to comand functions etc ie anything thats not related to keeping the engine running. This is exacerbated if the trips are short <30min in cold weather ... nothing has equalized. These modern cars have so much e-stuff in them its like a computer on wheels ... and many of us know how often computers crash just playing with a spreadsheet or executing some python code in the gpu. Such is life

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Like I said in previous posts, its likely that your car is one of those % of cars that manufacturing or parts reliability issues. Other cars have been running fine, mine had the issue of the gas filler flap that keeps popping open when the car is being driven or comes to a stop. Turns out to be some electrical contact issue , sensor, replaced under warranty and its done. Other than that, generally runs great and requires only main oil changes, but most recently , because its a GDI engine, my gas consumption was not as great, probably due to deposits, cleaned it up with a couple of bottles of Liqui-Moly Jectron. Running fine now.
Very true I bought a Lexus as a replacement and it has a few little issues as well I guess nothing can be made perfect.
I have the same blind spot issue you brought up. It's pretty bad on my 2015 model, as the car needs to be turned on and off once before it works. No idea why that is the case.

As for toxicity, people in general will always find reasons to hate on others. I saw some dude driving an exotic car in Vancouver and a bunch of guys shouted "Still slower than a GTR" to him from curbside as he drove by. He wasn't even driving like a turd, but people still found a reason to put him down. People who know cars are probably the most judgemental....You should see how much hate 320i drivers get. To the remaining 90%+ of the population out there, you're in a snazzy Mercedes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Yeap it’s crazy how Benz didn’t fix it every car I’ve owned has this feature but only this car seems to have this issue. The cla truly has aged well still looks better than most of the Benz lineup.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In cold climates even garaged batteries aint happy. If not tendered then especially after ignition the battery soc is so low the system has to shutdown certain systems lest the alternator circuits get overtaxed. Then even as engine and systems warm up the battery is still not under charge yet as the system has to bring up the systems that were shutdown earlier. Then when warmed up and engine load is finally low (like coasting to a light etc) the battery gets charged. But a poor battery just creates a vicious circle in terms of electronic systems and affects all sorts of stuff from climate control to comand functions etc ie anything thats not related to keeping the engine running. This is exacerbated if the trips are short <30min in cold weather ... nothing has equalized. These modern cars have so much e-stuff in them its like a computer on wheels ... and many of us know how often computers crash just playing with a spreadsheet or executing some python code in the gpu. Such is life
Maybe it was the battery but my only point of reference is a Toyota or Lexus so maybe my view on reliability is a bit skewed.

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
The cla truly has aged well still looks better than most of the Benz lineup.
Absolutely

And ok ok ok I can hear the c118 group mumbling already ... that too is growing on me
Yoshi’s right ... takes a little time

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
Maybe it was the battery but my only point of reference is a Toyota or Lexus so maybe my view on reliability is a bit skewed.
Nah ... Acura ... Mazda ... etc all had multiple issues though all resolved in warranty including entire transmission replacement, intake manifold update, blah blah blah

Lexus has its good days and bad days too ... theres a dealer service group in town and I can tell you its not just oil changes and air fresheners ... some of the situations on the cars there I would not wish on anyone

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
...Looking back now I miss the car but i would never buy a Mercedes in general again just the electrical issues alone..... In conclusion the cla is good car in warranty and in my experience it is psychotic in cold climates.
As you are now considering another previously owned CLA, suggest you select a MB CPO with all the optional warranties, as well as a double check on it's entire maintenance history

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As you are now considering another previously owned CLA, suggest you select a MB CPO with all the optional warranties, as well as a double check on it's entire maintenance history
Yessssir a pre owned one from Mercedes with a warranty is exactly what I’m looking for. Hopefully the newer versions have some of the gremlins I had in my old car ironed out.

·
Registered
2016 CLA 250 2.0L 4matic
22 Posts
My experience with Canadian winters have been similar. The battery finally kicked the can since (trunk randomly opening syndrome), so hopefully the replacement will fare much better 🤞

My gremlins included misbehaving radar sensors and the folding mirrors opening beyond their normal range (as in they started pointing forward). To be fair, my old Subaru's electric power steering would be faulty in -45 and be fine the next day so I can't really fault the CLA here. The cabin does take a bit to warm up but otherwise no complaints

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
Oh ... yeah ... the whythehelldidmytrunkpopopen gibberish
They must think trunk occupants need a way out when the battery gets weak

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
My experience with Canadian winters have been similar. The battery finally kicked the can since (trunk randomly opening syndrome), so hopefully the replacement will fare much better 🤞

My gremlins included misbehaving radar sensors and the folding mirrors opening beyond their normal range (as in they started pointing forward). To be fair, my old Subaru's electric power steering would be faulty in -45 and be fine the next day so I can't really fault the CLA here. The cabin does take a bit to warm up but otherwise no complaints
To be fair, I am not sure if most car manufacturers stress test their cars down below -45C for several months. These manufacturers have to make cars that cater to warm asian climates and also north american climates, and also cold european countries. but it is not easy to make parts and components that can handle temp swings from 50C to -50C. There is a balance they have to strike between absolute reliability and production costs.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts