Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this 2015 CLA with the sunroof not working took it to the dealership since it's still under warranty seems they won't repair because it was in an accident they won't do anything to it actually. Seems they can blame the accident for anything lol. I just want to fix it myself but I wanted some drawings or instructions on how to dissasemble so I can see what's wrong. One side doesn't come up when trying to open it. Since I can't open how do I dissemble it? :(

·
Registered
762 Posts
Welcome to the forum Chitown,
Just to be clear... Do you mean to say they won't repair it as a warranty claim?
What was the extent of the accident?
Were partial repairs made?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum Chitown,
Just to be clear... Do you mean to say they won't repair it as a warranty claim?
What was the extent of the accident?
Were partial repairs made?
Thanks I will be a contibuting member soon as I get some time on this car it's my first mercedes not impressed with customer seevice at all.
I dont know what the extent of the damage was but it was a front end collision. No repairs to sunroof were made. They just say it was in carfax it had an accident and it could have been the cause of the sunroof damage. I am ok with it just need to see if I can get it open so I can take a look at it. Then determine extent of damage seems there is a known issue on the parts failing for the initial lifting of the sunroof.

·
Registered
10,546 Posts
was this a cpo purchase?
the cpo process is extensive and they are liable/responsible for items on that huge checklist
whatever is not on it, they should have disclosed those ... else it gets into fraudulent sales etc
and given the bucking/absorption mechanics not sure how a frontal impact would affect the roof system
unless the impact physics snapped a polymer part etc
bottom line - if it was a cpo, make them go through the inspection doc line by line and they will change their tune
if not a cpo then yeah you are gonna have to muck with it
taking off the pano is not the hard part - the front 4 bolts, lots of towels, TWO people, to slide an lift
its getting to the rails and attachments from the inside - which means may have to drop the roof trim, etc etc
hope it all works out!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fornt 4 bolts? How do I access them? Any pictures or diagrmas will be helpful thanks. Yeah I am going to talk to the guy that sold it to me but I am just gonna be proactive to see what I can do by this next weekend I want to try and tear it down.

·
Registered
10,546 Posts
Open it and look under the front part of the glass you will see two mounting point two bolts each
Mark their current location before loosening

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks to me like I have to remove the rearview mirror and lots of other good stuff. Well I will give it a shot but I just noticed that my glass doesn't even try to move now after the dealer got through with it now it doesn't even try to lift?!!! Wonder what they did? They also left the screen messed up it wouldn't close like before had to do the calibration proceedure what kinda rinky dink service dept they running out here in Mercedes Houston North :/

·
Registered
10,546 Posts
What the hell did they do to it?
From what I can see yes the glass has to retract back at least a few inches to gain access to the front bolts
If they messed it up they need to fix it

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well this is a total cluster they denied doing anything to it yet I showed the guy how it was not lifting on one side when I dropped it off. This is unacceptable service I will try their service manager tomorrow see what happens. IMHO it should be covered under warranty known issue yet they want to use an small collision as a means to not cover the dang thing SMH.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well this has been and is a continued cluster lol I am trying to repair this by myself of course it was a matter of broken plastic guides. I will post pictures. During disassembly I managed to damage some stuff need help sorting out what may or may not be needed. Of anyone knows where I can find these parts I need all the help I can get thanks in advance I will be posting a step by step what NOT to do lol when you take these things apart. It really isn't that bad if you have the right tools and you know what your doing. Unfortunately I didn't have either lol.
Screenshot_20200310-075204_Photos.jpg
20200310_064205.jpg
20200310_063351.jpg

·
Registered
762 Posts
MB Dealer special order??

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ouch indeed well they found the parts but can't sell them to me independently so yunk yard it is. I am so pissed I should have just left it alone :( to top it off now I am sure it was all becasue of the stupid plastic guides for the carriage. So why wouldn't mercedes cover under warranty 30k miles 2016 :/ I smell a RAT. I will speak with the manager tomorrow and see if they will give me the parts at cost since I am doing the work or work some deal out. Maybe they can rwapur what they broke? Lol I do think there is a calibration proceedure THEY have to do once I am done repairing hopefully they do that for free SMH.

·
Registered
10,546 Posts
If the factory warranty is indeed still in effect then the dealer should have repaired it ... if it was due to defective parts
Of course in this case that requirement is not so clearly satisfied from their point of view per the history of the car
So perhaps the parts at cost and a complimentary pano calibration would be a decent compromise
And you get to be one of the few pano repair experts we have on here

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
you are a brave soul! I look forward to your writeup on the fix. my pano shade stopped working and ive debated to replace it but there is not much info on a proper fix.

·
Registered
10,546 Posts
Havent dared taking off the mineral glass yet though poking around it sure looks like much better access once its off ... as our brave member has demonstrated
My shade has always made nonsequitor noise when opening (fine when closing) so one of these waaaaaaaaay past warranty days i might try getting to it ... yikes

1 - 20 of 29 Posts