Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyone notice the dimensions in the new brochure? The 45 is an inch and a half shorter, and an inch narrower than the standard CLA. It seems that the only place where AMG isn't trying to tell us that "smaller is better" is in the weight division where the AMG version comes in a corpulent 200# heavier.

None of the $17-18K extra that we'll pay for the AMG label went toward saving weight, (Yes, I understand about the 4 wheel drive, intercooler, etc.)

Obviously, (I hope) I'm being facetious about this, but I do wonder how (and why) the car got shorter & narrower.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Had to be same platform based on the A class so must be the body kit, front and rear bumpers must be a different shape and the wing mirrors smaller? Either that or a type in the brochure.

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
Did anyone notice the dimensions in the new brochure? The 45 is an inch and a half shorter, and an inch narrower than the standard CLA. It seems that the only place where AMG isn't trying to tell us that "smaller is better" is in the weight division where the AMG version comes in a corpulent 200# heavier.

None of the $17-18K extra that we'll pay for the AMG label went toward saving weight, (Yes, I understand about the 4 wheel drive, intercooler, etc.)

Obviously, (I hope) I'm being facetious about this, but I do wonder how (and why) the car got shorter & narrower.
When you say shorter I'm not sure if you're referring to ride height or length.

- Ride height makes sense -- it should be lower to the ground due to the sport tuned suspension.
- Length might be the difference between the body kit (front and rear bumpers) on the base 250 (i.e., without the sports package) and the 45's AMG bumpers. It's not that big of a difference -- or it's a typo.

As for weight savings, the 45 makes 145hp more than a 250. My guess is that some of the suspension components might be lighter but we know that they had to beef up the engine, transmission and add AWD to the car, too, in order to handle all of that extra power. The tires on a 45 (not being runflats) are also likely lighter than those on the 250 (which are runflats)...thereby reducing unsprung weight and allowing for marginal improvements to performance/handling. The fact that its overall weight increased by 200#s doesn't mean they didn't cut weight in other places. You know the performance specs and you've probably read the reviews on the 45. What's the concern?

Of course, remember, the brochure also says its a RWD car...lol...so all of this might be moot.

-Eric

·
Registered
896 Posts
i assume the sport cla has the same dimensions as the cla45

if u assume the cla45 and the sport cla are DIFF dimensions, then you are assuming there are two different front and rear bumpers they made!

would MB make nearly identical bumpers 1 inch shorter?

i thought i did read that the amg had DEEPER "cuts" in the rear fender, but only read that one and have yet to find it or see it again . . .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts