Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Wow, that's really annoying. I was planning on going w/o the multimedia package and expected a smaller footprint. This looks like same footprint just smaller screen.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I just worry some thief will think it is detachable and breaks my window for it. Glad it will be in my garage most of the time, but we all park on the street.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Looks better in person than in pics. The flow of the interior looks sharp, esp the dash.... also thought there would be a smaller screen w/o multimedia....

·
Registered
293 Posts
Would not worry.....i think the days of gps theft are largly gone...have not of one being lifted in a long time...

I just worry some thief will think it is detachable and breaks my window for it. Glad it will be in my garage most of the time, but we all park on the street.

·
Banned
990 Posts
YUP! Its happened to me before. I am very concerned about the same thing. I dont need a busted window and scratched up dash again.

·
Registered
515 Posts
the person who approved the monitor sitting on a dash must have been drunk of beer and bagels... he he...
silly way to incorporate a monitor... kinda like a compass or radar on my dash... lol

·
Registered
29 Posts
I guess I might be the only one that doesn't mind the screen location. lol. I never liked the E Class type arrangement of the screen.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Definitely a late-stage in development "add'on" I'd say w/ regards to the LCD on the CLA (and A/B Classes). Or the lead designer assumed that keen & tech savvy consumers looking to getting into a Benz (and/or any other new neat car) are used to having a Garmin, TomTom, etc hanging off their dashboard. That's all I can come up w/, as this LCD is an ergonomic fail in terms of interior design. I don't think I've ever seen such an obvious tacked-on item in an interior ever. Then again, the European manufacturers must've missed the memo a decade ago that the public will be seeking such screens on their vehicles, as the interior designs of many of their respective models can't properly accommodate a screen.

I can see myself getting an extra trim-piece & looking into getting a screen shroud, then molding the two together to have a more "completed" look. I'm a bit of a nut when it comes to good, clean, and proper design.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Definitely a late-stage in development "add'on" I'd say w/ regards to the LCD on the CLA (and A/B Classes). Or the lead designer assumed that keen & tech savvy consumers looking to getting into a Benz (and/or any other new neat car) are used to having a Garmin, TomTom, etc hanging off their dashboard. That's all I can come up w/, as this LCD is an ergonomic fail in terms of interior design. I don't think I've ever seen such an obvious tacked-on item in an interior ever. Then again, the European manufacturers must've missed the memo a decade ago that the public will be seeking such screens on their vehicles, as the interior designs of many of their respective models can't properly accommodate a screen.

I can see myself getting an extra trim-piece & looking into getting a screen shroud, then molding the two together to have a more "completed" look. I'm a bit of a nut when it comes to good, clean, and proper design.
i agree...
and if some genius comes out with your bright idea and sells it on ebay or something maybe they'd make themself enough $$$ for a new :clapr:amg..lol

-----
honda did a pretty good job... he he :)
24FEB4FC-4654-4509-9D03-660BAF788DBA-3430-000001290C290116.jpg images.jpg

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think they were trying to go with the Tesla and Fisker design trends with the dash.

Tesla-X-dashboard.jpg The_Fisker_Karm.jpg

Even though both of those cars are dramatically more expensive, I think MB is trying to appeal to that same crowed with the CLA, by exaggerating tech pieces with in your face design. I do think the Tesla and the Karma do a much more interesting job with the screen, I can also understand that the CLA is a lower price point vehicle so not as much can be done with the screen.

I'm reserving my judgement until I can see it in person.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I think they were trying to go with the Tesla and Fisker design trends with the dash...

Even though both of those cars are dramatically more expensive, I think MB is trying to appeal to that same crowed with the CLA, by exaggerating tech pieces with in your face design. I do think the Tesla and the Karma do a much more interesting job with the screen, I can also understand that the CLA is a lower price point vehicle so not as much can be done with the screen.

I'm reserving my judgement until I can see it in person.
Dude, don't give them that much credit, lolz! It was a generational stop-gap, a "let's slap one on the dash console for time being, and then actually design one in from an ergonomic viewpoint on the next gen!"

There are $15k econo-hatches w/ LCD-type of screens properly designed into their interiors. A double-din slot is the default in the industry nowadays.

It's the same dealio w/ current Audi sedans & Aston Martin coupes, they have retracting LCDs which look perhaps even more after-thoughts than the A/B Classes & CLA interior's LCD. Once again, it was lack of foresight & forward-thinking, not much else to it.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Sad news!!

-----------
Thank you for your continued interest in our CLA-Class.

The COMAND system and screen in the CLA are stationary and do not retract or “hide”. All information currently available for this model and its features can be found in the future models section of our website MBUSA.com. For your convenience, we have included a direct link to that section below. Additional information will be available through your local authorized Mercedes-Benz dealership closer to the vehicles launch this September.

2014 CLA - A Future Vehicle from Mercedes-Benz

Kind Regards,

Justin H.
Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC

So pretty much... He told me to have garage and don't email him again. Haha!

·
Registered
15 Posts
More annoying to me is the way the air vents look. They remind me of the ones in the early 2000s Mercury Cougar, that I bought my wife when we were poor college students.
Cougar Air Vents.jpg

They looked silly to me then, and did not function well, and the ones in the CLA don't look to be ay better to me now. It's just a silly detail, but it reminds me of what a POS the Mercury was and I cant help the association that conjures up in my mind.

·
Registered
730 Posts
More annoying to me is the way the air vents look. They remind me of the ones in the early 2000s Mercury Cougar, that I bought my wife when we were poor college students.

They looked silly to me then, and did not function well, and the ones in the CLA don't look to be ay better to me now. It's just a silly detail, but it reminds me of what a POS the Mercury was and I cant help the association that conjures up in my mind.
That's too funny! :D

I believe the air-vents on the CLA are inspired from the McLaren Mercedes SLR, which were inspired from the Gullwing SLs & other models from yester'year. As of late, MB has been on a classic/retro inspiration seemingly, and such are also noticeable on the SLS-AMG. Interestingly enough, likewise for the McLaren MP4-12C (and also the McLaren Formula One team paddocks have 'em)! So, w/ all that said- the CLA is in good company... :D

Any idea about the CLA's standard trim (Anthracite), does it differ from the B-Class "honeycomb" standard-trim? If it's a decent trim, I'd be content (w/ the Nut Brown leather-interior); otherwise, I may have to opt for the optional Black Ash wood-trim (Burl wood-trim would be a bit much on aforementioned interior; I saw some B-Class interiors w/ the brown-leather & Black Ash trim, looked very nice - see below!)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts