Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I've been following this magnificent forum with its awesome community for a bit and since I'm thinking of getting a CLA too I wanna ask you some questions. More specifically the model I'm thinking about is the CLA 200.

1) Suspension options. I actually got these options: a) the basic comfort suspension b) sport suspension c) lowered comfort suspension and d) suspension with adjustable system of shock dampening. (I think I translated the d) option right :) )

But since the AMG Visual Pack is a MUST for me I got 2 options in practice. The sport suspension (that comes standard with the AMG pack) and the suspension with adjustable system of shock dampening. If I wanna go for the adjustable suspension I will have to pay 1.043,63 € extra. So my question is what is the difference of the 2 suspensions? Is the adjustable worth the extra money? I've heard that the ride of the CLA (especially with the sport suspension) is quite rough and I want this car for my basic daily driver car. If I get the adjustable I will keep the sporty dynamics but will also get some comfort if I want (with a push button or something?) ? Also, will the adjustable one affect the ride height ? I've heard that the ground clearance of the CLA is quite low and since I want the AMG-Pack I'm worried if I will have problems with scraping it since the roads here are quite bumpy.

2) I want my CLA to have the original "3D" Mercedes arrow logo on front so I can add the "illuminated star" option. I want to know which options are taking away the original star and replace it with a Radar-Logo ? I don't want the "DISTRONIC PLUS" but just the regular Cruise Control. Will the regular cruise control need a radar-badge? (also want blind spot assist and active park assist , don't know if they affect)

3) Gearbox options. 6-speed manual or 7G-DCT ? I'm not a manual addict. I admire the efficiency of the 7G-DCT since it changes gears quickly (I suppose since it's dual clutch) , its more economical and stuff. But, is the 7G-DCT reliable? Or will it be prone to failures and the maintenance costs will be very high in the future? So which one is best? (I've also seen that on 7G-DCT it's not easy to see (annoying) in which gear you are since it shows it as a tiny number next to the D right?)

4) Reliability overall. I've seen quite a lot reliability issues with water pumps, PRE-SAFE failures etc. so is the car reliable ? Any options that I have to stay away from? (like PRE-SAFE maybe? :p ) Probably if I go for it it will be after 2016 so will this be a good year or I will have to wait more? (I've no idea also when they will end the production , if they will facelift it or even if they plan to bring out newer CLA models lol :D)

Thanks a lot guys and sorry for the long text but I wanna know some stuff before I pull the trigger.

Cheers!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
EDIT: Sorry guys but 1 more important question just rose:

I want my CLA 200 to have the AMG-Pack as I told and also the "sahara beige interior" but the configurator of my country does NOT allow me to choose both! It allows me to get the "nut brown" color ,for example, with AMG-Pack but NOT the "sahara beige" which is a must combo for me! Is this just a bug of the configurator and in real life I can combine this too?

Thanks Again.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
I was worried the ride would be really rough. I have the Sport Suspension and don't find it that bad. Of course, it depends how bad your roads are. The CLA does sit rather
low, so you have to be aware of that. I don't find it to be a big deal, though.
I had manual transmissions for years and I don't miss it. I love the DCT, but I drive in E almost exclusively. S is not as smooth. Others will address this. I have a 250 and find
it to be fast off the mark and fast on the freeway, plenty of power. I get about 34 MPG on average for city and highway combined. I've not any serious issues other than my
spoiler recently lifted up a bit. I bought the extended warranty and tire and wheel package. I hit a big pothole on the freeway in the rain and ruined a tire last December. Replaced, no
problem. My wheel was scraped a bit and that was repaired, under warranty as well.
I have beige interior with walnut trim. Looks great IMO. MB Tex holds up well and looks fantastic too.
I have 14,000 miles on the car with no real issues. Others have more and no issues. Some people have had various issues. It's a car and can have problems. I think most people have
not had problems.
Black exterior looks great!
Most importantly, you must love your Door Gap! :)

·
Registered
762 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. You mean the interior door gap? Judging from pictures it doesn't seem that bad, anyway.
Any idea about the suspension options I mentioned? I'm seriously thinking of the 7G-DCT but I don't know what maintenance costs it has compared the 6-speed manual.
Also I want to know if I can combine the AMG Visual Package with the "sahara beige" interior color since the configurator is just refusing to keep them both. However, I've seen a lot pictures of CLAs in real-life which got this combo.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I was worried the ride would be really rough. I have the Sport Suspension and don't find it that bad. Of course, it depends how bad your roads are. The CLA does sit rather
low, so you have to be aware of that. I don't find it to be a big deal, though.
I had manual transmissions for years and I don't miss it. I love the DCT, but I drive in E almost exclusively. S is not as smooth. Others will address this. I have a 250 and find
it to be fast off the mark and fast on the freeway, plenty of power. I get about 34 MPG on average for city and highway combined. I've not any serious issues other than my
spoiler recently lifted up a bit. I bought the extended warranty and tire and wheel package. I hit a big pothole on the freeway in the rain and ruined a tire last December. Replaced, no
problem. My wheel was scraped a bit and that was repaired, under warranty as well.
I have beige interior with walnut trim. Looks great IMO. MB Tex holds up well and looks fantastic too.
I have 14,000 miles on the car with no real issues. Others have more and no issues. Some people have had various issues. It's a car and can have problems. I think most people have
not had problems.
Black exterior looks great!
Most importantly, you must love your Door Gap! :)
that's mean to mention the door gap :D i was not aware of it until i started reading here.. hehe.
my car is white, so the door gap REALLY SHOWS!.. black cars wont show as much.
i thought about plasti-dipping the inside gap :D so it blends.

so yea i also have cla250 and i find it very fast for me.. it hits 100mph really really quickly. and i have driven lots of fast cars.. this car is very agile, it's like a leopard :D.
i dont want to even know how fast AMG is. cause cla250 is really strong and just runs very smoothly. I think i'm safer with the 250.
i also agree that sport mode is rough.. i dont like it much, :) i prefer to manually shift when i want speed.
i'm now used to the manual shift delay as well. so if i want to accelerate quick, i downshift 1 or 2 gears and wait 2 seconds before hitting the gas. i think the delay is around 2 seconds... it does not bother me, i think its made like this to protect the tranny.
I love the HOLD feature, its awesome

i have 6700miles and no problems at all (thank god, I hope i wont get jinxed now).
i scraped my bumper from the bottom while parking into a high curb, touch up paint did the trick and i cut the trunk rubber seal by mistake while loading my bicycle in the back. thats about it.
MB TEX is awesome and beats any leather, it seems very durable and dirt DOES NOT STICK. its very easy to clean. i have WHITE MB TEX.... just use some soapy water
i have a mini soap vacuum i bought from amazon, works flawless.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, any idea if I can get the AMG-Package with "sahara beige" interior ? The MB online configurator is not allowing me too.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Configurators are also country specific. So if you are in the correct country website, that is all that is offered.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I recommend that folks who are considering a MB purchase consider this:

IMO Mercedes cars are high maintenance. Lovely looks..
Fun to drive but riddled with problems. At least my cla250 is.
While you are covered uner warranty, it is just annoying but once you are out of warranty you are at risk for regular yearly expenses
that you have not expected. Repairs are expensive, and there are several things that will predictably fail . Radar sensors and brakes
are especially troublesome. Amond other things I had alternator, fuel pump, brake, sensor, run flat tire side wall problems.
I think part of the reasons is that these cars are over-engineered.

Perhaps the unreliability is designed in, or at least MB does not seem to go out of their way to make these
cars super reliable, like the Asian brands.
Repairing these cars out of warranty is a hugely profitable business for MB and their dealers.

Be aware that you probably need to go to an MB dealer for service/repairs.
Is there a dealer conveniently located where you usually travel?

I am at the point where I think the notorious repair problems became too much hassle.
I will never get another Benz, and probably ditching my Cla soon.
Will opt for something else that is known to be reliable, even if it is less exciting to drive

·
Registered
254 Posts
Maybe an appropriate place to post this:

I finally managed to kill my Cla (hit a tree) . Had 120K miles on it, and behaved rather admirably in the crash.
(I lived to tell you guys about it.. :) ) and the insurance gave me a surprisingly good valuation,
so I must say it kept its value reasonably well.

I briefly considered getting another one, or perhaps an A class. but the expensive dealer maintenance,
and sub-par reliability of Benz these days convinced me to abandon the Mercedes brand.

Truth be told I quite enjoyed driving it...but, IMO Benz needs to get on par with Lexus in terms of trouble-free
operation. Like they used to be like: "German engineering" . That does not just mean putting together a
cleverly designed well-thought out car, it also means choosing or making parts that mostly "just do not fail".

In any case I ended up replacing it with a 2019 Hyundai Kona Limited fully Electric. For the money
I spent I was pretty close to getting into a C Class, but I simply had it with the problems and
the arrogant dealer service. It is not even the money, it is the principle. I hate it when somebody deals with
me with the background assumption : "Mr Customer, we think you are stupid".

I rather enjoyed this forum, thank you all

Coder

·
Registered
762 Posts
.....enjoyed this forum, thank you all
Sorry to see you go Coder, we enjoyed your contributions to the Forum all these years. Please come back and describe your E Recharge experiences.
Best Regards,
Geo K & Your other CLA Friends (y)

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
I see how it works..
Destroy a tree with your car and repay the tree by becoming a tree hugging electric car driver.. JK :p

Let us know how you enjoy the Kona. May i ask why you choose the Kona over a base Model 3?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts