Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those of you who test drove the CLA did anyone note the recommended octane for the 2L turbo? This is usually posted on the fuel filler door.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Those of you who test drove the CLA did anyone note the recommended octane for the 2L turbo? This is usually posted on the fuel filler door.
From what I know you can only use premium fuel for the car.

·
Registered
294 Posts
The CLA is a premium fuel car. There is a "PREMIUM FUEL ONLY" sticker inside the fuel fill door. I have seen it with my own eyes on a USA model.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Gas/ petroleum in the UK and Europe is high octagon compared with the USA. I have run turbo petrol cars on standard 95 RON in the UK and the performance was no different than super unleaded or 98 RON.

I am guessing premium in the USA is standard fuel in Europe hence the fuel advice from Mercedes.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Good point, MrCLA220UK. It's difficult to properly answer the original question from mm9351 because we don't know what country he is from.

Hey guys, update your user profile to include "LOCATION" information. This will greatly help improve the quality of answer that you will receive to your questions. There are many region and country specific differences in the CLA.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Gas/ petroleum in the UK and Europe is high octagon compared with the USA. I have run turbo petrol cars on standard 95 RON in the UK and the performance was no different than super unleaded or 98 RON.

I am guessing premium in the USA is standard fuel in Europe hence the fuel advice from Mercedes.
Need I tell you that it is complicated in the US? States, or groups of states, have different regulations. In California we use the formula RON + MON / 2. Then we have what we laughingly (or cryingly) call the "best congress money can buy". At the "urging" of agribusiness, they have mandated that we have to burn up a lot of good fuel to produce ethanol to lower our gas mileage.

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
The whole octane discussion gets very confusing when you start comparing the US against the RoW. The standards listed on our pumps are generally based on AKI as I recall. RON is in Europe.

The formula that vracer mentioned (RON + MON / 2) is also visible on fuel pumps in CT. Rather than bungle up the discussion here's what Wikipedia says about the comparison:

Wikipedia said:
In the US, octane ratings in unleaded fuels can vary between 86 and 87 AKI (91-92 RON) for regular, through 89-90 AKI (94-95 RON) for mid-grade (European premium), up to 90-94 AKI (95-99 RON) for premium (European super).
In CT, regular is typically listed as 87, midgrade/special is 89 and premium is generally 91 (maaaybe 93 if you can find it). Mobil's premium used to be 93, for example, but I think local regulations have altered the mix taking it down to 91. Doesn't Sunoco sell a "94" in some states? I believe those are considered "super" here.

-Eric

1 - 10 of 10 Posts